Question about scan log files

I noticed that I have almost 3000 scan log files in C:\ProgramData\Emsisoft\Reports going back over two years.

Given that the Forensic log only shows data going back one week, why are these files not purged by EAM ?

I know the files are only small but once I've done a scan and checked the results, I'm not really interested in them any more as they don't have any further value.

1 hour ago, marko said:

I noticed that I have almost 3000 scan log files in C:\ProgramData\Emsisoft\Reports going back over two years.

Given that the Forensic log only shows data going back one week, why are these files not purged by EAM ?

I know the files are only small but once I've done a scan and checked the results, I'm not really interested in them any more as they don't have any further value.

My Forensic logs go back more than a week.

I'm not sure but before Forensics came into being you could set a limit for how many logs you could keep. Do you remeber that?

I have a years worth of scan logs which using  ''Advanced..Factory Defaults..Revert ..Clear all logs and reset counters'' has no effect on the scan logs at all.

So clear ALL logs must be a  typo :lol:

Also when you uninstall you are given the opportunity to delete reports folder.. better late than never !!!

30 minutes ago, stapp said:

My Forensic logs go back more than a week.

Yes you're right - it was just a coincidence that mine was only showing 7 days worth - further investigation shows that the forensic log holds 300 records

32 minutes ago, stapp said:

I'm not sure but before Forensics came into being you could set a limit for how many logs you could keep. Do you remeber that?

not sure, but does sort of ring a bell

33 minutes ago, stapp said:

I have a years worth of scan logs which using  ''Advanced..Factory Defaults..Revert ..Clear all logs and reset counters'' has no effect on the scan logs at all.

Just checked my other machine and I have scan logs going back over four years !

34 minutes ago, stapp said:

using  ''Advanced..Factory Defaults..Revert ..Clear all logs and reset counters'' has no effect on the scan logs at all.

So clear ALL logs must be a  typo :lol:

I guess it only clears the logs from the database, but not the scan logs as they are separate individual files in a different folder

36 minutes ago, stapp said:

Also when you uninstall you are given the opportunity to delete reports folder.. better late than never !!!

seems a bit of a drastic step just to clear the scan logs ☺️

Clearing logs only applies to the forensics logs. EAM no longer has UI options for dealing with scan logs. They're pretty small, so I don't think the fact that they are never deleted has been considered as problematic before.

12 minutes ago, GT500 said:

Clearing logs only applies to the forensics logs. EAM no longer has UI options for dealing with scan logs. They're pretty small, so I don't think the fact that they are never deleted has been considered as problematic before.

I think it could be considered as 'bad housekeeping'

I mean, who wants 4 years worth of scan logs on their PC whether they are small or not?

It took long enough to get Emsi to even offer the removal of Reports from ProgramData 

https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/25521-window-which-appears-during-uninstall-of-12-builds-captcha/?tab=comments#comment-165937

1 hour ago, GT500 said:

BTW: The NTFS file system doesn't appear to have a limit to the number of files that can be in a folder, and the maximum number of files that can be on an NTFS volume is 4,294,967,295.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb457112.aspx

Is that supposed to be a comfort to us?

(if so, it hasn't worked :lol:)

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2020 at 7:42 AM, GT500 said:

I figured it would be nice to know that the issue wasn't going to cause any problems.

Did you ever get a reply on this from QA ?

(yes I know it was a year ago but scan logs just keep piling up and should have an option in UI to clear them.)

On 3/1/2021 at 12:45 AM, stapp said:

Did you ever get a reply on this from QA ?

Nothing beyond their initial reaction to this, which wasn't anything relevant to the discussion here.

20 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

If the UI does one day offer a chance to purge them, would it keep any of them - the last week's worth, or month's worth?

It was never really discussed with me, and even if it was we don't like to say things about future feature changes so that we don't disappoint anyone later if those features aren't quite what they expect.