screeno

OA Free not remembering program settings

I am running OA 4.5.1.431.Free.

Lately OA is not remembering a few of the programs I have trusted in the past... particularly MailWasherPro.

On bootup, I usually get asked if I want to trust this 'new' program.

And this has happened with a couple others (which I can't remember at the moment).

None of them are new or have had version upgrades (that one might figure would trigger an OA prompt).

Also, possibly related, recently OA has taken to losing the firewall rules for my LAN (on just one machine)... specifically, the info displayed on the 'Interfaces' and 'Computers' tabs. When this happens (and it has only happened twice in the last month), I end up with no internet connection on that computer. I don't know if OA is dropping the rules, or if there is a connection problem that causes OA to not display the rules... i.e. OA might just be reporting what it sees, or OA might be the culprit.

I used to run ZoneAlarm Pro, and it was prone to corruption, necessitating frequent uninstall/reinstalls to fix things up. That is one of the reasons I stopped using ZAP. OA has been stellar for me for about 8 months straight. These two little issues are the first signs of anything going wrong.

Any ideas or input?

PS- I just migrated over from the old forum! :)

Once again today, after a reboot, OA asked about MailWasher Pro (again I checked Remember and Trust).

I was also asked again about Foxit Reader.

Clearly, some of my settings are not being remembered.

Is this a common issue with OA?

Have other users encountered this?

Any recommendations?

Perhaps you could try running the SCW again and see if that helps?

Good suggestion.

I might run it without trusting everything, unlike when I installed OA.

(Before I am done, I might end up wishing I had taken the 'trust everything' route.)

From your experience, can you tell me if this issue has cropped up before?

Or is it more of a rare occurrence?

From your experience, can you tell me if this issue has cropped up before?

Or is it more of a rare occurrence?

People have occasionally mentioned it from time to time with older builds. I think there is one recent thread here http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3290-program-guard-blocks-rollbackrx-component/ where someone reports a similar issue with the latest release. I'm not aware of any other reports like it at this time though.

Thanks for the link, and the replies.

I'll report back as things develop.

:)

I've been getting the same thing when running Thunderbird on one of my machines - ticking Remember this decision and Trust the program only seems to work for the current session - next time I start my pc and open Thunderbird, I get the same prompt.

I ran the SCW and ensured that Thunderbird was Trusted, but it still happens.

I'm running XP Home SP3 fully patched, OA++ 4.5.1.431, no other real-time security apps.

I've been getting the same thing when running Thunderbird on one of my machines - ticking Remember this decision and Trust the program only seems to work for the current session - next time I start my pc and open Thunderbird, I get the same prompt.

Maybe try deleting the entry in the Program's list for Thunderbird and letting OA rebuild the rule when you next run it (and Trust and Allow it then). :)

Maybe try deleting the entry in the Program's list for Thunderbird and letting OA rebuild the rule when you next run it (and Trust and Allow it then). :)

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I tried that first :(

I'm not too worried about it as the machine in question isn't my main one - I would imagine a reinstall would fix it but I haven't got round to it yet.

The main reason I posted was to add to screeno's post, partly so that he/she knows they aren't the only one affected, and partly so that you or the devs are aware that it's affecting more than one user, and that it also seems to affect both the free and paid versions.

The main reason I posted was to add to screeno's post, partly so that he/she knows they aren't the only one affected, and partly so that you or the devs are aware that it's affecting more than one user, and that it also seems to affect both the free and paid versions.

I appreciate that, marko!