Hi, could someone please explain how to use Silent Mode? 

We are running EEC in our call centre and I would like to have this run in the background without popups, alerts and news distracting the staff or calling me on how to respond.  I assumed this is what Silent Mode is for but I also see reference to gaming, so I am confused.

The problem is that some pc don't seem to update every hour as expected. I notice this in the console and when accessing these and doing manual updates, it works fine. I have found some reference to Silent Mode being the culprit but that was late last year and supposedly was fixed?

I am also confused on whether the setup on an individual pc with silent mode being off is relevant if this pc being part of a group has silent mode configured as ON under the group settings.  At the moment some pc require manual help to update whereas the bulk do their job fine and I cannot work out the reason.

"Silent mode" is meant to prevent EAM from interrupting user activity.  Usually this is desired by people running games or streaming videos, but I suppose one might also want it in non-full-screen mode if you just never want to see EAM interruptions. 

"Silent mode" is also automatically turned on if someone puts an application into full-screen mode, and turned off when they return to normal windows.  Users (or presumably group policies) can also turn Silent mode on even without going into a full-screen application (as far as I know).   Maybe some of your users are going into full-screen use eg in a browser?

Settings - Updates ... has an option for whether or not updates (of EAM's signatures etc) will be attempted in Silent Mode.

Settings - Notifications ... has a list of things which EAM will try to tell the user, which can be turned on/off.

It sounds to me as if you want to turn most of the Notifications off...    But, for example, if an update requires EAM to be restarted, or the system to be restarted, and you don't let the users know that, how is that going to help?

Jeremy,

at present my main issue is that while most pc update every hour, some don't do any updates unless I manually force this via the console. Looking at the logs is just states "skipped"  and I am not sure what is causing this. Nobody is gaming on these or generally speaking needs full -screen mode, so I am not sure if silent mode is applicable or not. However compared to other AV solutions, I find ES quite noisy with frequent notifications. I would like to suppress most if not all of them for the staff. If something serious is going on, I am getting an alert and can take action, most staff would not know how to respond anyway. As for restarts being necessary,  the next pc reboot will take care of that and I don't remember this being a frequent issue.

I wasn't suggesting that people were playing games, but instead trying to explain that for most (home) users the reason they'd elect to go into Silent Mode is not to be interrupted during games/videos.

As a home user, often watching BBC stuff on iPlayer in full-screen mode, my forensic log shows both entry to and exit from Silent Mode, and also quite often has lines like:

05/02/2020 22:36:40    Scheduled update "Update every 1 hour 0 min., Enabled" skipped by Silent Mode

Right now, typing "skipp" into the forensic log's  filter field, with "All components" set in the righthand box, the only entries which are found which have "skipped" in them, are like that, and clearly do implicate Silent mode.   I'm a bit surprised you see only the word "skipped" with no fuller text.   Are you just looking at the Action column - though even that should be showing "Task run skipped"?    Are you not also seeing the "Details" column?   Is the window dragged open enough?   What happens if you double-click such a message - do you then see its whole text?

You can select which notifications are on/off at Settings - Notifications.

Also .... nobody generally needs full-screen mode....    In my experience some people just prefer to run apps full-screen.  

With this being the  Emsisoft Enterprise Console area of the forum, different priorities may apply as opposed to a home user.

9 minutes ago, stapp said:

With this being the  Emsisoft Enterprise Console area of the forum, different priorities may apply as opposed to a home user.

Sure, which is why I've emphasised hat I /am/ a home user.   But I thought EEC gave an administrator a central view of what was happening on client machines, so would eg expect the logging to be at least as detailed as a user can see.  Less would make an admin's job unnecessarily difficult.

If you mean that the users' systems may be ignoring GUI-set flags, and going by central policies instead, I guess you're right... but then you'd expect all those with the same policy to behave the same way.

hi  @Eddie

Silent mode replaced the term 'Game mode'  a while ago.

Silent mode can be activated manually  to let EAM shutup during full screen presentations, full screen movier watching etc.

EAM also has an auto silent mode, which is triggered when EAM gets a signal from Windows, when Windows decided it is in inappropriate to show notifications, like when running full screen apps.

The best way to make EAM run in the background in auto pilot mode is to make proper settings in the EEC groups. You can disable all notifications and set user permissions to 'No access'

If your requirement is to apply manual Silent mode,  did you check the status of this setting on the machines that do no run scheduled updates updates ?

Please note that we have a similar setting for scheduled scans.

image.png.45b9c8147b41842644ffee1510906229.png
Download Image

Note: EEC is a discontinued product. Did you check our cool new Cloud Console yet ?

Thanks

Thanks guys, as I mentioned from the beginning, I needed clarification and assumed that my settings were not quite right.

Jeremy, when I quoted the error I did this from the top of my mind, looking up the error message via details it does say "Task run skipped" - nothing more.  So based on the info above, I think I will not use Silent Mode in the future but try to change the relevant group to "No Access" as Frank suggests or try to use the notifications settings only.

Frank, I will change the group settings as suggested and see what happens then.    As for EEC and Cloud Console I mentioned EEC as this was the header for the forum and I thought most appropriate forum to ask for help. I am using the cloud console

> .... it does say "Task run skipped" - nothing more.

Is that - not showing the whole log text - a peculiarity of ECC?    If it is, surely there's a problem if users' logs show more detail than /you/ can see.  

Do you know if the users DO see the same as I do, or is their log either not visible to them at all, or does it contain less than I - a home user - see in my edition of EAM?

Just so you know what I mean, here's a screenshot of my Forensic log, with the filter set to show just lines containing: skipp:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypq4zu78w55vfem/20200209 EAM log view - lines containing 'skipp'.jpg?dl=0   You should see what I mean about the "Details" column showing more than the terser "Action" one.

A user can also double-click a log entry to see more information.  In this case (where there's only one line of text in the Details) it doesn't show anything extra, but in other log entries (eg those for updates) the extended display shows many lines of details about what the update process downloaded.  In this case, the extended display I see for one of these lines looks like:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/bj7cy6or8dbr4tn/20200209 EAM log view - what you see if you double-click one such line.jpg?dl=0

On 2/7/2020 at 11:26 PM, Eddie said:

Frank, I will change the group settings as suggested and see what happens then.    As for EEC and Cloud Console I mentioned EEC as this was the header for the forum and I thought most appropriate forum to ask for help. I am using the cloud console

As both EAM and Emsisoft  Cloud Console (ECC) are tight together we do not have a separate ECC forum, All ECC related questions can be posted in the EAM forum.

22 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Do you know if the users DO see the same as I do, or is their log either not visible to them at all, or does it contain less than I - a home user - see in my edition of EAM?

There are no restrictions related to EAM versions.

I can agree that the details  need some more details ;)

Jeremy,  I am not sure what you mean by forensic log. Using the cloud console I can access the log for the individual user and the audit log for the workgroup. In the audit log I see any changes made to policies or settings for any of the pc in the group. If I access the individual pc via the console, I can see a log and that shows me updates either scheduled or core and clicking on any of these, I get a bit more information but certainly less than you do.  I have not found a way to see more.  If I access the pc locally, then I get something more detailed. The isssue is that for a cloud console the assumption would be that you are not necessarily on site to check this locally and in my case I only access the site once a week with only one pc running in my own office.

It does seem however that the original issue with the updates has been solved by changing the settings.

Cheers

Eddie

taskrunskipped.jpg
Download Image

update userlog.JPG
Download Image

"Forensic log" is the name that EAM gives to the log display.

> The isssue is that for a cloud console the assumption would be that you are not necessarily on site to check  ...

Absolutely.  I'm shocked that you see less than the ordinary user would.  It suggests Emsisoft wrote different code to support the log view in ECC rather than just sending all the data that client versions of EAM surely already have.  

Hopefully that will get fixed very quickly.     Until it does it's maybe worth remembering that a user might be able to view a log and screenshot full info or describe what they see, to you, if needed.