error404

a2service.exe high disk usage

hi, i've noticed that a2service.exe is constantly writing on my ssd. it's writing approximately 1GB per day, maybe more.  on task manager, the i/o write bytes value is increasing at a rate of about 40 bytes per second. however, the computer feels completely normal with no slow down. Is it normal for a2service.exe to write so much data?

thanks 

windows 10 home 1909 build 18363.628

emsisoft 2020.2.1.9977

procexp.png
Download Image

task.png
Download Image

emsi.thumb.png.1d2e4fb69c416215659db26597d3adde.png
Download Imagefor info: i've just recently installed emsisoft, and noticed constant hdd light blinking on pc case, but couldnt make it out why, as under task manager disk usage was always so small / almost non existent ...

now i know why 🤙

would like to hear from devs why also.

24 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Do either of you have Debug Logging turned on?  See: Settings - Advanced - and scroll down to the last option.

my machine is doing the same (EAM debug logging is OFF)

@error404  -  An increase of 40 bytes per second implies a daily total of about 86400 (the number of seconds in one day) * 40, ie 3.4 MB.    For an increase of approx 1 GB per day the write rate needs to be about 12.1 KB per sec on average.  (That is, 1 GB is 1024*1024*1024 bytes; divide that by 86400 (24*60*60) seconds in one day.)    

There must be some peak periods/events causing considerably more data to be written.

I'm wondering if this is just signature files?  Each time there's an update of signatures the new signature files need to be downloaded, and perhaps written somewhere, then unpacked (or whatever) and a new in-storage(?) database constructed, maybe merging that with what's there before.  The database itself might be in what Windows calls a "memory-mapped file" which blurs the distinction between files and (virtual) memory and /maybe/ reads and writes of that virtual memory are recorded as if they were file I/O.  I don't know.  

If it's that I'd not be surprised by the large overall amount of data written, but it's hard to see why it'd be steadily increasing.       

The taskmanager IO write bytes, does not necessarily mean HD writes. network writes etc are logged too.

You can check real HD writes in the Windows resource monitor, a2service selected, Disk tab, see example below. This shows disk IO during an update.

simple check to proof this is:

Disable EAM selfprotection and  kill process a2start and a2guard, you will notice that the IOwrites counters nearly stops.
The continuous IO writes mainly is internal EAM network communication and no disk writes.

image.thumb.png.255a8a0506b779d41ca9352c3caca472.png
Download Image

• Thanks 1