maki

Scanning is still stuck at 16%

Scanning is still stuck at 16%. No progress. All setting: DEFAULT:

Disk C System SSD:

10-02-20 21:52:02
Skanowanie głównego rekordu rozruchowego...

10-02-20 21:52:02
Skanowanie folderu systemowego 'CSIDL_DRIVERS'...

Wersja systemu: Windows 7x64 Service Pack 1

Ustawienia skanera:

Typ skanu: Użytkownika
Obiekty: Rootkity, Pamięć, Ślady, C:\, D:\

Wykrywanie PNP: Włączone
Skanowanie plików skompresowanych: Wyłączone
Skanuj archiwa poczty: Wyłączone
Skanowanie ADS: Włączone
Filtr rozszerzeń plików: Wyłączone
Bezpośredni dostęp do dysku: Wyłączone

Skanowanie uruchomiono:    10-02-20 21:52:02

Przeskanowano:    5
Wykryto:    0

Let's try getting a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. You can find instructions for downloading and running FRST at the following link:
https://help.emsisoft.com/en/1738/how-do-i-run-a-scan-with-frst/

Note: When FRST checks the Windows Firewall settings, Emsisoft Anti-Malware's Behavior Blocker will quarantine it automatically. This can be avoided by clicking "Wait, I think this is safe" in the notification that is displayed while FRST is scanning.

@GT500  - EAM sometimes has scans that just stop (the scanner crashes) and appear to be running but are not.  Does EEK have the same problem? 

How would @maki determine if the scan is still active, or has crashed?

18 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

@GT500  - EAM sometimes has scans that just stop (the scanner crashes) and appear to be running but are not.  Does EEK have the same problem?

Not that I'm aware of, but then again I don't normally see behavior like that in EAM testing either.

18 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

How would @maki determine if the scan is still active, or has crashed?

Checking CPU usage in Task Manager would be the easiest way. Checking disk usage in Resource Monitor would work as well, however that may be lower than the CPU usage.

@GT500  > but then again I don't normally see behavior like that in EAM testing either.

Hopefully nobody sees it /normally/, but it's certainly been discussed here, though maybe that's mostly(?) been on the Betas sub-forum.  People tend to notice that scans 'complete' very quickly, and/or there's no report file generated and/or the percentage-done thing stops increasing.  Crashes themselves are invisible to users unless they go and look in their Event logs afterwards.   I've always thought that when a scan is started some sort of oversight process should check once in a while that it's still running and tidy up if it falls over, as well as logging that and/or telling Emsisoft.

13 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

I've always thought that when a scan is started some sort of oversight process should check once in a while that it's still running and tidy up if it falls over, as well as logging that and/or telling Emsisoft.

We have a crash reporting tool that we bundle with Emsisoft Anti-Malware and EEK.

Edited by GT500

> We have a crash reporting tool that we bundle with Emsisoft Anti-Malware and EEK.

I know.   I'm not sure it always sees all crashes though.   

I tried to search for reports of scans not completing &/ report files not being produced but it's hard to find them because words like "complete" and "report" crop up all over the place and some people would use "end" or "finish" instead of "complete".    Without opening and reading every topic that the forum search located, the only thing I found with a topic title that seemed relevant was in fact a report I made a while ago:  https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/31312-custom-scan-ended-prematurely/     If the crash reporter had seen anything happen then, then you can be certain I would have said so.

17 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

If the crash reporter had seen anything happen then, then you can be certain I would have said so.

It's possible it wasn't actually one of our executables crashing, but rather the thread that manages the scan process terminating for some reason. I assume that regular debug logs would show it happening, however engine debug logs are often needed for scan related issues.

Hi.

It doesn't work properly after the last few updates:

Caused by path/exe:

C:\EEK\Start Emergency Kit Scanner.exe 1,24 MB Size

Working if i run from path:

C:\EEK\bin64\a2emergencykit.exe 10,0 MB

The previous executable file may be incorrect. I note that this has been an EEK update for a long time.

14 hours ago, maki said:

I note that this has been an EEK update for a long time.

There was an EEK program update in January (version 2020.1).

Do you have EEK activated with a "Pro" license? If so, make sure the license hasn't expired. EEK doesn't currently display an error message when this happens.

No, this is not a message!
EEK simply has one or more invalid files!
Same file version and different size and different filename, so this is not a valid file.
There are so many files in the folder that is valid (the one that runs EEK without stuck scanning?