Jemima

What?Why not ask for name not title

Emsisoft says free trial ends in a day but I paid for new one approx 48 hours ago but it refuses to acknowledge my key - repeated emails to 'Customer Support' have gone unanswered - what is happening?  Will be forced to ask to money back and find other software protection at this rate.  Deeply unhappy if not disgusted at their incompetence.

Sorry - have migraine caused by trying to get this muddle unmuddled - should have put

Why Aren't Those Who Have Paid For New Licence Key Allowed To Use it?

I see that David Bigger sent you an e-mail about 9 hours ago, but I'll go ahead and leave a short answer here.

From the screenshot you sent, the error you experienced was registering the license key in MyEmsisoft (our online service for managing license keys and installations of Emsisoft Anti-Malware), however the license key in question already appears to be registered to your account.

All you should have to do is log in to Emsisoft Anti-Malware and select your license key to activate it. Here's how to do this:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Look for the license details in the lower-right.
  3. Click on the link to see more details.
  4. Click on the button to change your license.
  5. Enter your MyEmsisoft username and password into the login dialog that appears.
  6. Enter the 2-Factor Authentication code that is sent to you via e-mail (the address used in your MyEmsisoft account is the one that will receive the e-mail).

Note that if you prefer to use a 2-Factor Authentication app on your phone (Google Authenticator or something similar) then you may log in to your MyEmsisoft account and use that instead. If you already have a 2-Factor Authentication app configured in MyEmsisoft, then you will need to use that when logging in to Emsisoft Anti-Malware to select your license key.

Also note that 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) is often called Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), Two-Step Verification, Two-Step Authentication, One-Time Password (OTP), etc. Many services support this technology to help keep your accounts safe.

@ GT500  Thank you so much for your reply to my panic-stricken plea!  I had sent three earlier emails over several days (via the link for support on the Emsisoft Home page) and couldn't understand how they went unanswered as this hadn't happened before - and I have been with Emsisoft for years and had no problem renewing things. 

I had noticed that in this new Windows 10 free email (there simply aren't enough bad words in my Thesaurus to describe it!) that often it said it had sent emails but hadn't, so I developed the habit of sending bcc to myself; this way I found out that if my emails were in the Sent File then they really had gone - and all three earlier emails to Emsisoft were in the Sent File so presumably they had gone.  David B says they weren't received at Emsisoft so they must have got lost somewhere along the way.

After writing my plea yesterday, I had the bright idea to phone which.co.uk computing - and they screen shared with me for over an hour and managed to get the licence key accepted (and chuckled in a kindly & sympathetic manner over my emails to Emsisoft evident increasing panic).   I then started to write an email to Emsisoft to say all was well, but bethought me to check one last time that the licence was there, and there it was gone!  So I turned off my computer and tried to resolve my migraine.  I don't know where the details of my licence were hiding, but all seems well today - though I think it is going to be months before I really trust this system again!

Thank you so much for your help - it really was most kind of you.

For anyone reading this, who doesn't know who "which.co.uk" are ... it's a long-standing consumer affairs organisation (known just as 'Which?') - which in the days before the internet did product and service testing which consumers could read about (if they subscribed).    They still do so, but it's less necessary with online reviews of stuff easily found.   On the other hand, as a formal product testing organisation they don't have the problem of "fake reviews" that plague online sites.   They also offer compting and legal support to their members.

Most cities used also to have a local "consumer groups" who tested and reported on (and pressured councils etc to improve) local services and also local branches of national shopping chains etc.  There was (is?) also a National Consumer Federation which acted as a sort of clearing-house for the local groups.

17 hours ago, Jemima said:

Thank you so much for your help - it really was most kind of you.

You're welcome. If you have any further issues, then please let us know.

Our support personnel also have remote access software that we can use to connect to your computer if needed. Live chat may be the best way to get assistance if you want us to do remote access, however please note that our chat isn't staffed 24 hours a day. I think there's usually someone online in the early morning hours who can answer questions, and there's usually someone online in the evening as well. If for any reason someone isn't available to answer your question right away, the system will send us an e-mail that we can respond to once we're able to.

On 2/15/2020 at 6:39 AM, JeremyNicoll said:

@GT500  said: "I think there's usually someone online in the early morning hours..."

In whose timezone?   You in the US, us in Europe or what?

I'm in the USA, but I was trying to think about our coverage during GMT daytime hours.