Sign in to follow this  
pallino

EAM cannot connect to update server

Hello Emsisoft team,

since 7 days Emsisoft AM (2020.2.1. 9977) cannot connect to the update server anymore. Internet connection is working and all other programs (windows update, Firefox,  on demand scanners etc) can connect/update.

I also uninstalled/rebooted/reinstalled Emsisoft but still no luck; safe after resetting settings to default.

Emsisoft is running inside  Virtulabox 6.12 (VM was not updated lately and host as guest are windows 10, latest update).

How can this be fixed?

thank you

update.PNG
Download Image

I finally found the culprit...Windscribe  1.83 build 20 on my host is somehow blocking Emsisoft's update...if I disable Windscribe, Emsisoft can update. I could update it this way but wouldn't like to use it without VPN on my host. If Emsisoft cannot connect to the server to update it probably also cannot connect to check the AMN in case behavior blocker detects something suspicious, right?

Can this issue be solved? thank you

Thanks for your post.  It helped me realize this is happening to me as well.  I have the same version of Windscribe running.  I don't use this VPN much and first noticed a problem last night (evening of Feb 17, central US).  My Emsisoft doesn't even seem to initiate an hourly update when Windscribe is running.  There is no message in the log in this case.  It just won't start the update process.  If I manually trigger an update with Windscribe running, then I get the same error that you showed in your post. 

I also have IVPN and Ivacy VPN loaded on my computer.  (I only run one at a time of course.)  With either IVPN or Ivacy running, Emsisoft updates fine.

I tried various Windscribe connection settings and also toggling its built in firewall on and off.  Nothing seemed to make a difference, however, and Emsisoft still couldn't connect to the update servers.

Thanks.

Driver8,

happy I could find out the cause and help.

I kept on trying and found out that Windscribe blocks Emsisoft when connecting with "best location" or with some US locations,  but some other US or EU locations work.  I contacted Windscribe, let's hope they fix it soon.

8 hours ago, pallino said:

If Emsisoft cannot connect to the server to update it probably also cannot connect to check the AMN in case behavior blocker detects something suspicious, right?

That's correct.

1 hour ago, pallino said:

I kept on trying and found out that Windscribe blocks Emsisoft when connecting with "best location" or with some US locations,  but some other US or EU locations work.  I contacted Windscribe, let's hope they fix it soon.

It's more than likely a DNS related issue. Windscribe uses their own nameservers when you connect to one of their VPN servers, and if their nameserver can't resolve emsisoft.com domains (such as arctic.emsisoft.com and dl.emsisoft.com) then EAM won't be able to determine the IP addresses of our update servers and connect to them.

Windscribe has an optional content filtering system called R.O.B.E.R.T. which acts to block malicious and questionable content at the DNS and IP address levels. If you have this enabled, then you can try disabling it in your Windscribe account settings on their website and see if that helps. If it does, then you might be able to create custom rules to always allow Emsisoft domains/subdomains.

Note that Windscribe does not approve of Anti-Virus software, so I don't know how willing they'll be to fix it (I assume their recommendation will be to uninstall EAM). If the above doesn't help and they can't or won't resolve the issue, then there should be alternatives such as using your own DNS settings or using your HOSTS file to map the hostnames to the correct IP addresses.

Also note that using your own DNS settings may not be recommended if you are using the VPN for privacy. I remember reading that Microsoft was going to add "DNS over TLS" or "DNS over HTTPS" to Windows 10, however I don't think that's officially happened yet, so all DNS queries from your computer would be sent unencrypted to your selected nameserver (although I believe that traffic should still go over the VPN and may not be readily identifiable as being from your computer).