Jezzper

Firefox Browser addin status "not recommended" by Mozilla

Hi

I find it a poor selling point that that the Firefox Addin from EMSISOFT is marked by Mozilla as "not recommended", meaning it may not be safe.

Why has this not been submitted to Mozilla for review and scrutiny?? or has it been already? (even worse)

I may install EMSISOFT at 50-100 PCs at a customer soon, but if the  security products addin is marked as "not recommended" ...I already have issues.

/Jesper

@Jezzper

"Not recommended" may not mean what you think it does.

It has not received a negative rating, instead it has not yet received a positive rating either.

Hope that helps you :) 

@Jezzper is the warning in the following screenshot what you're talking about? If so, this is just a generic warning that Mozilla's add-ons site displays for any extension that they have not reviewed and added to their recommended extensions list. If we can request that Mozilla review the extension, then we'll more than likely look in to how to do that.

image.png
Download Image

Turns out the addon store now tags all extensions that way, unless they are manually verified (which can neither be requested nor sped up, not even with money).

The wording is strongly misleading. It basically only says that the extension is not in the group of their 'Recommended Extensions', it does NOT say that the extension 'isn't recommended to use'.

Whoever invented that label at Mozilla deserves an award for broken UX design...

58 minutes ago, Jezzper said:

Well have EMSI submitted the extension for verification then ?

As was stated by Christian, there is no method for submission, it simply does not exist.

Here is more on how the selection process works: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/recommended-extensions-program

At the moment, there seem to be only 99 (!) extensions in their 'recommended' list. Which sounds to me like a huge monopoly game to push a few big players and keep doors closed for smaller vendors. They are currently actively discrediting thousands of harmless extensions. I wouldn't expect that the Emsisoft Browser Security extension will suddenly end up in their recommended list any time soon, sorry. Use Chrome...

6 hours ago, Christian Mairoll said:

Use Chrome...

For those who don't like Google, there're Chromium based web browsers from third parties that can install extensions off of the Chrome Web Store. Vivaldi is one example, and apparently the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge supports the Chrome Web Store as well (after turning it on). The feature list for Brave says it supports most extensions on the Chrome Web Store, and there may be other Chromium-based browsers that also support the Chrome Web Store.

Both Vivaldi and Brave have additional privacy features like Firefox (although I think Vivaldi's online tracking blocking feature is still in beta). It should be possible to supplement such protections in all three browsers with extensions such as uBlock Origin, uBlock Origin Extra, Emsisoft Browser Security, Decentraleyes, etc:

image.png
Download Image

Just a quick update on that problem. I reached out to the Mozilla support about the misleading wording of that warning message and they replied:

We are actually running some tests with updated wording. If all goes well we might have some updates on that soon enough.

https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/after-a-year-and-10k-happy-users-addon-page-says-this-is-not-a-recommended-extension/55121/6