BlueCreeper512

Does EEK Free License Expire?

Today I learned that EEK was redesigned, I already had an older version of EEK on my USB, I thought I had to re-download EEK again, so I went to https://www.emsisoft.com/en/home/emergencykit/ and pressed the download button, once it extracted all the files, I launched it and tried to run a signature update, but a pop-up appeared saying, "Your Emsisoft Emergency Kit license has expired. Please click "OK" to open the license mode selection dialog." When I clicked OK it there were three options, Freeware, Enter a Pro license key and Buy a new Pro license key. But the Freeware license was grayed out, I never bought a Pro license key for EEK before, and I thought the Freeware license had no expiration date, so my question is do I have to buy a Pro license key and does the Freeware license expire?

Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) is not intended for use on systems that have Emsisoft Anti-Malware (EAM) installed.  Any attempts to run EEK on system running EAM will result in the licensing screen popping up.  I realize that that is confusing as it does not indicate that running EEK along side EAM is unsupported.

42 minutes ago, BlueCreeper512 said:

Yes

OK, thanks for confirming. I've sent some information to QA about this. It appears to happen when a fresh copy of EEK is extracted to a new folder.

I think the freeware license option is grayed out because EEK is technically already using it, however I will have to wait for developer confirmation of that. For now, it appears that if you just click "OK" on the dialog box that you can use EEK to scan for threats without any issues.