Emsisoft and Adobe Flash Player

Is there any conflict between Emsisoft and Adobe Flash Player ?

I have no evidence to think there is, but I am having problems with playing screens that need AFP on Win10 .
It is "turned on" in Settings, but screens that use to play have now stopped and I am not getting an "allow AFP" option.

Just going through a process of elimination. 

When you talk about "screens" and "settings"... are these for using AFP within a browser?  

If you are using a browser you probably need to Google for how each one currently controls use of Flash Player.   It's going to be no longer supported (by Adobe) anywhere quite soon (by the end of 2020, I think) and browsers have been warning about this and/or defaulting to having it turned off even if it is installed for a while.

I have Edge as my browser (standard in Win10), up until a few days ago this website (English Channel shipping traffic)  https://www.crondallweather.co.uk/fullscreenshipping.html operated perfectly on my laptop.
Now the image does not appear.
I am aware that some browsers (like Opera) allow AFB and others usually make you "allow" each time. 

On a tablet I have with Win10 and Edge as the browser, the image appears perfectly.

I then considered that the tablet does not have Emsisoft installed and I have not downloaded on it the Microsoft update that came out a few days ago.
So, either the Microsoft update has affected my PC and AFB, or Emsisoft has.
Hence my question. 

For what it's worth, I can't see the map in Edge either, but it works fine in Firefox and Chrome.

I don't think the map uses Flash -  firstly, because you can't right-click on the map and choose the Flash controls, and secondly, because at the bottom right corner of the map there is a link called 'Leaflet' which takes you to a page on the same website describing Leaflet, which is an open source javascript library for creating maps

1 hour ago, stapp said:

No.

Flash is turned off by default in new Chromium Edge.

What software are you using to view the display on that site ?

I downloaded Chrome and still could not access the image. 

I had already checked with Edge Advanced Settings that Adobe was turned on (and it was).
So it seems as though the problem is with my PC, not to EAM or AFP.

The strange thing is that the image was available up to a few days ago and for over 18 months prior to that.
Other website with the same information/image are also blank to me.

I live overlooking the English Channel (at its narrowest point), not knowing what ships are passing in the night is frustrating.🙂

Thanks for your interest in my problem.

marko, I did notice your post and I tried downloading Chrome, but it still didn't work.

Interestingly, I tried accessing the link you posted and at first nothing happened, but on about the third or fourth try the site started to open and I got the Privacy Notice, which I "accepted", the site appeared to be about to open normally, I saw a second or two of the layout and then suddenly there was the blank blue screen again.

It has to be something on my PC blocking these images, it may not be anything to do with Adobe. 

UPDATE _ I have installed Internet Explorer and it works fine.
So it has to do with Edge.

Edited by Cranfield
Update

glad it works in IE but given that IE isn't secure these days I'd use a different browser or try getting Edge to work

you could try completely clearing the Edge cache and cookies and see if that fixes it

failing that, an Edge Repair and/or Reset might solve it ?

I did clear Edge cache and cookies, but have yet to think about the Repair option.
I reset a PC many years ago and lost so much important stuff it put me off fiddling around too much.

I am going to keep trying to find what it is in Edge on my PC that is blocking the image. As I said earlier, it works fine on a tablet with Win 10 and Edge , so it must be something specific to this PC.
Its really strange how this website and other similar ones, briefly appear to load and then blank out.
There has to be a "settings" answer there somewhere.

48 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

I did clear Edge cache and cookies, but have yet to think about the Repair option.
I reset a PC many years ago and lost so much important stuff it put me off fiddling around too much.

it's not a reset of the pc, just a repair and/or a reset of the Edge app itself - might be worth a go and you won't lose your bookmarks etc - access is via Start, Settings, Apps then find Microsoft Edge in the list of Apps, click on it and choose Advanced Settings and you'll find the options to repair and reset at the bottom of the screen as shown below - might be worth a try ?

image.png.f27037fdc0dd343dd314349856e55200.png

The Repair hasn't changed anything, I will have to think about the Reset option, its not something I am keen on.

I am convinced that the image wants to open and I have indicated that it is partly loaded for a couple of seconds before it disappears.
Something blocks it.
I do not get an option to enable AFP and no option shows if I right click on the page.

Being able to get it on my tablet , with the same Edge/Win10 setup, is also confusing.

19 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

I do not get an option to enable AFP and no option shows if I right click on the page.

well, as I said before, I don't think it uses Adobe Flash as the maps appear to be built using a javascript API called Leaflet

Adobe Flash should be disabled by default in all Chromium-based browsers (I just verified it is in Vivaldi and the new Microsoft Edge). Support for Adobe Flash will be removed from all Chromium-based browsers (including the new Microsoft Edge) by the end of the year.
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/08/30/update-removing-flash-microsoft-edge-internet-explorer/

On 3/14/2020 at 7:13 PM, Cranfield said:

I have Edge as my browser (standard in Win10), up until a few days ago this website (English Channel shipping traffic)  https://www.crondallweather.co.uk/fullscreenshipping.html operated perfectly on my laptop.

I just tested this site on Windows 10 in the new Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Firefox, and Vivaldi. It worked fine in all 4 browsers. Google Chrome was the only one with Adobe Flash enabled, probably because it wasn't yet the policy to have it disabled by default when it was originally installed.

My suspicion would be that an extension is causing the problem, however if you're concerned that Emsisoft Anti-Malware may be causing an issue then you can right-click on the little Emsisoft icon in the lower-right corner of the screen (to the left of the clock), go to Protection status, and select Disable Web Protection and then check and see if the website is working normally after that.

If you do disable protection as described above, please be sure to turn it back on when done testing.

I appreciate all the input.

I am now convinced that it is not anything to do with Emsisoft, so I won't clog up the Forum any longer.🙂.

I have only three other extensions on Edge and I have disconnected them all one at a time and it makes no difference.

Later today I will install Firefox and see what happens.

I've never used Edge but Google tells me that it - as with other browsers - has "development tools".  That's to say, things like a "console" and debugger which would normally be used by programmers trying to find out why a page wasn't behaving the way they hoped.  If you can find your way to the "console" I'd expect there'd be a way to have it display error messages and you might be able to see something going wrong.   On the other hand, some web pages are so poorly written that they generate hundreds of error/warning messages even when they are working perfectly.  

In Firefox for example there's also a display that shows that when one fetches a webpage, first the browser fetches it itself, then scans through its contents and fetches all the named subsidiary objects (scripts, images, CSS files etc), then scans through those and fetches anything they need, and so on.  The display shows a sort of 'tree' of successive requests from the browser to the network, and whether everything requested actually comes back, at all / in a complete form.  That can be quite useful if it shows eg that all fetch requests from a particular server, eg for script files, don't work. 

If you use any sort of ad blocker, or script blocker, you should turn that off for a while as you might be blocking some necessary part of the page logic from being fetched.  It's easy to assume that a specific server only supplies scripts you don't want to run, but also block non-malicious necessary scripts from the same place.  Similarly, over-aggressive blocking of cookies can make page code not work properly - that (in Edge) if it's controllable at all, might not be controlled via an extension.

I just visited the crondall website with Firefox, and I see a "this plugin is old..." warning about Flash at the foot, under the map.   Looking at the page source it's clearly ad-related, as it's (on my page view) trying to do something related to     ws-eu.amazon-adsystem.com ...   MarketPlace=GB    ...  payless4golf.    Very likely the precise details of what each ad needs will vary form person to person, region to region, even between successive attempts to load a page, and not necessarily all of them will attempt to use Flash.