Alexx

Cannot delete the folder created by Emsisoft Emergency Kit (epp.sys cannot be deleted)

Hello,

I would like to report that again it's not possible to delete the folder created by Emsisoft Emergency Kit ("epp.sys" cannot be deleted). This has been fixed by Emsisoft in a previous version of Emsisoft Emergency Kit, but now the problem is back.

It's now happening with the latest version of the program (Version 2020.3.2.10048 — Released: 03/17/2020).

Tested on a virtual machine running a clean and updated installation of Windows 10 Pro 64-bits (version 1909).

Maybe it's possible to fix it again? Thanks!

Capture.thumb.JPG.1f16eb35ce4b5ee544ca6d7780403795.JPG
Download Image

Let me know if the following helps:

1. Right-click on the Start button.
  2. Select Windows PowerShell (Admin) from the list.
  3. Once PowerShell is ready (it will show PS C:\Windows\System32> when ready) type in cmd and press Enter on your keyboard.
  4. Type in SC DELETE EPP and press Enter again.
  5. Right-click on the Start button again, go to Shut down or sign out, and select Restart to restart your computer while bypassing Fast Startup.

After that you should be able to delete the EEK folder.

Note that these instructions are intended for recent versions of Windows 10. On Windows 8.1 and older versions of Windows 10 steps #2 and #3 are not necessary, and you will want to launch Command Prompt (Admin) instead.

On Windows 7 you will want to find the Command Prompt in the Start Menu, right-click on it, and run it as administrator.

Thank you for your quick response! Yes, that works, and that's what I used to do before Emsisoft fixed the problem in the previous version of EEK.

But since the problem reappeared in this new version of EEK, i thought about reporting it. 

Good to know that the team is already aware, and I hope that it can be fixed once again!

You're welcome. Hopefully we'll have a fix available for the issue soon.

This issue should be fixed in the latest beta version:
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/36014/emsisoft-emergency-kit-2020-4-beta/

Here's how to install it if you'd like to try it:

1. Open the Emergency Kit Scanner.
  2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emergency Kit Scanner window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click on Advanced in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, in the Advanced section, look for Update feed.
  5. Click on the Edit box to the right of where it says "Update feed", and change the "Regular feed" to Beta.
  6. Click OK to save the changes.
  7. Click on the icon that looks like a house/home in the upper-left corner of the Emergency Kit Scanner window.
  8. Click the Update now link near the lower-right of the window.

I can confirm that  EEK build 10065 folder on Win 10 will now delete via right-click  :)

23 hours ago, stapp said:

I can confirm that  EEK build 10065 folder on Win 10 will now delete via right-click  :)

Awesome. 👍

On 3/27/2020 at 5:36 AM, GT500 said:

This issue should be fixed in the latest beta version:
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/36014/emsisoft-emergency-kit-2020-4-beta/

Here's how to install it if you'd like to try it:

1. Open the Emergency Kit Scanner.
  2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emergency Kit Scanner window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click on Advanced in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, in the Advanced section, look for Update feed.
  5. Click on the Edit box to the right of where it says "Update feed", and change the "Regular feed" to Beta.
  6. Click OK to save the changes.
  7. Click on the icon that looks like a house/home in the upper-left corner of the Emergency Kit Scanner window.
  8. Click the Update now link near the lower-right of the window.

Hi,

after following the procedure you describe, the problem no longer occurs: the folder can be deleted after closing the program.

But, if not following the procedure (if one simply downloads the latest version of EEK from the site, runs it and let it update, and then closes the program) the problem still occurs.

I hope that a new version of EEK, where the fix from the Beta feed is already implemented, can be released soon!

Thank you for your quick response.

As always, Emsisoft support is great!👍

We usually have a beta near the end of the month and a stable release near the beginning of the month, so it shouldn't be much longer before the fix in the beta is released in a stable update. ;)