a2start suddenly very busy

It happened again today, though this time I wasn't aware of any particular event at the same time.   I might have been away from the pc when cpu went high, not sure.  This time around I have not shutdown and rebooted.

I've dumped a2start.exe using ProcessHacker and I'll zip up debug logs (for yesterday and today) and the dump and let you know where they are.

@GT500   I've not explicitly looked at them, but I don't they are - that is, as well as seeing one of the cores 100% busy I've had the impression that total cpu use was around  85-87%.

Also, remember I'm on W8.1 not W10.   There's no VPN software on the machine, no download manager, no VirtualBox (or any other VM).

While writing this, I glanced at PH and saw cpu for a2start had climbed to about 1% (a2service by comparison is ranging between 0.25% and 0.31%).  I was just thinking "that's odd", for a GUI that's not even open, when I noticed the systray icon pulsating and a few seconds later the "update" notification slid in (and I dismised it).   But now, with the GUI still not open, a2start cpu is around 1.97-1.99%.

I was asleep all aftenoon; next time I looked, a2start was up to 12.5%.    Signing-out and back in (ie no shutdown/reboot) sent a2start's cpu back to 0.15% or so.  I suppose that's not too surprising as a2start is a user-level rather than system-wide program?

13 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

I suppose that's not too surprising as a2start is a user-level rather than system-wide program?

Correct, since it's not a service it will exit when you log out, and then be freshly started when you log back in.

I know your configuration is at least somewhat non-standard, so I'm curious if you remember what settings you've tweaked. Let me know which ones you remember (especially protection settings, host rules/host file import, logging settings, update settings, etc).

20 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Surely settings only affect  a2service?

a2start reads the memory from a2service so that it can populate the UI with the correct information, and allow you to change settings and otherwise interact with the software.

20 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Do the developers think anything they changed might be relevant?

I don't think there were any changes related to this issue.

14 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

It's back down again now because I just updated to the newest beta (-10100) but presumably will start climbing.

That's probably happening because it's restarting when it updates.