qwerty

Is there any reason to run Windows Firewall simultaneously?

I've seen a lot of people say that you shouldn't run two firewalls together, because they may conflict and cause problems, but then, Windows (XP) Firewall, isn't much of a firewall, is it?

This machine has been running my current firewall along with Windows Firewall (mainly through ignorance rather than any active decision) for a few years and hasn't seemed to have any problems. Also, some say that even though Windows Firewall is quite poor, it's a little bit of extra protection that can't hurt.

So, is there any point in running Windows Firewall and Online Armor simultaneously?

Thank you.

OA automatically turns Windows Firewall off as soon it's up and running. If you try to turn it back on again while OA is active, it should be automatically turned off again.

The short answer is no you should not be running the Windows Firewall, when a third-party firewall is installed.

Though is many cases the Windows Firewall may sit silently in the background. There are instances when it will quietly block something, when it shouldn't have, and you have no idea why a given application suddenly quit working.

I appreciate the quick replies.

I was going to disable Windows Firewall before I installed OA, so I suppose that is fine too?

Also, when I turn off the Windows Firewall, the "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" service still automatically loads at windows startup (I'm not sharing the internet connection either). So, I set this to disabled to stop it from needlessly loading, which also stops "Application Layer Gateway Service" from loading at startup (it is set to manual and so it must have been the WF/ICS service that was loading it). Does OA need either of these services to function correctly?

Finally, I don't know if OA can be installed from safe mode, if so, is it preferable? If not, will the fact that there are a couple of services I can't shut down, cause any installation problems?

Thank you.

querty it would really be best to just let OA take care of turning Windows Firewall off and on.

As drivers cannot be loaded in safe mode you cannot install OA in safe mode.

Stapp is right, you should neither turn off those services nor change their status. Moreover Windows Firewall is automatically turned on when you manually close and shutdown OA - then those services are required.

I don't know if OA can be installed from safe mode, if so, is it preferable?

Stapp replied to this question in his post. I would recommend to uninstall (if you need for some reason to do that) OA always in safe mode though.