Sign in to follow this  
qwerty

CLOSED A few questions...

I've now installed Online Armor and started using it (thanks for the help) and I'm having a few problems (or at least, things I don't understand).

Admittedly, I've only being using it for a few minutes, but as you're so fast and knowledgable here, I thought it would be quicker to ask than to "Google" it, or try to work it out for myself.

1) As soon as I connected to the internet, oaui.exe and another program (unrelated to OA) tried to connect to the internet, although I didn't create a rule, I did select "Block" for both programs (I'm not sure why oaui.exe was connecting, I have updates set to "Manual only"). In spite of me selecting to block both programs, they both appeared (green) in the Firewall Status and uploaded some data. The other piece of software is still there, although it has apparently not sent any more data and oaui.exe keeps periodically popping up, uploading and downloading some data and then disappearing again.

2) If I add together all of the "Down Speed", it is barely a quarter of the "Inbound Data". Why would this be? Where is the extra data coming from?

3) After a program has finished using the internet and closed down (the .exe is no longer running), it still appears in both panes of the Firewall Status window. Presumeably, this is just a bug with the Firewall Status windows not updating?

4) I can't see a time on the alert popups. Also, I can't seem to find any option to change for this (although I don't know why this would ever need turning off).

Thank you, if you can help me fix or understand these.

Hi querty :)

1) As soon as I connected to the internet, oaui.exe and another program (unrelated to OA) tried to connect to the internet, although I didn't create a rule, I did select "Block" for both programs (I'm not sure why oaui.exe was connecting, I have updates set to "Manual only"). In spite of me selecting to block both programs, they both appeared (green) in the Firewall Status and uploaded some data. The other piece of software is still there, although it has apparently not sent any more data and oaui.exe keeps periodically popping up, uploading and downloading some data and then disappearing again.

Without being able to see your screen at the time, it's difficult to determine exactly what was happening with these programs being allowed despite you blocking them. oaui.exe connects to the internet to get your external IP address (displayed on the firewall status screen). You can disable this option by going to Options -> Firewall and unticking "Lookup external IP address". If you want to block any program from all internet access you can go to Firewall -> Program Access, click it's entry and then click the Block button.

2) If I add together all of the "Down Speed", it is barely a quarter of the "Inbound Data". Why would this be? Where is the extra data coming from?

"Down speed" is just showing the rate of download for that entry. In other words, it's showing how much it's currently capable of downloading a second, rather than how much actual data has been downloaded (which is shown in the other columns; Downloaded and Uploaded). "Down speed" can vary depending on things such as the speed of your internet connection at the time, how many other connections might be downloading something at the same time and using bandwidth or just how fast the server is that the connection is connected to.

3) After a program has finished using the internet and closed down (the .exe is no longer running), it still appears in both panes of the Firewall Status window. Presumeably, this is just a bug with the Firewall Status windows not updating?

Connections don't always close "gracefully", and you can be left with them sticking around in the Firewall Status window for some time as a result.

4) I can't see a time on the alert popups. Also, I can't seem to find any option to change for this (although I don't know why this would ever need turning off).

The alerts don't time out at all. They stay on the screen until they receive a user decision.

Without being able to see your screen at the time, it's difficult to determine exactly what was happening with these programs being allowed despite you blocking them. oaui.exe connects to the internet to get your external IP address (displayed on the firewall status screen). You can disable this option by going to Options -> Firewall and unticking "Lookup external IP address". If you want to block any program from all internet access you can go to Firewall -> Program Access, click it's entry and then click the Block button.

What do you need to know? I'll find out for you next time it happens. I've disabled that option now, so I'll see if oaui.exe tries to access the internet again.

I have tried blocking the other piece of software from Program Access, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I've found the page in the online help which says that the programs appear green in the Firewall Status because they are "Trusted", which seems irrelevant. Surely, what's important is if they're allowed or denied access. I would have expected green to mean allowed and red to mean blocked.

I've done a bit of experimenting with LeakTest.exe from grc.com (basically, it tries to connect to their server and tells you if it succeeds). The first few times I ran it, it would ask for internet access and as soon as I pressed block, it would say that it had failed, then there would be another request (a total of 2), which I also blocked. At no point did it appear on Firewall Status. I then tried setting the file to Trusted and the behaviour changed. As soon as it tried to access the internet, it appeared in Firewall Status. From the alert, I would choose block, but the program itself still said "Connecting...", it would then ask another two times for access (a total of 3 requests), which I would also block, then a few seconds later it would say that it had failed, and Firewall Status said that it had uploaded some data.

"Down speed" is just showing the rate of download for that entry.

Yes, and "Inbound Data" is showing the rate of download for all entries combined, right? If so, when I add together all of the "Down Speed"s (there are only two, currently) why are they barely a quarter of the "Inbound Data"? Where is the rest of the Inbound Data coming from? I've also noticed that the "Downloaded" and "Uploaded" fields are also wrong, they are much lower than the actual figures. Basically, OA seems to have some sort of "phantom" data that it is losing track of.

Connections don't always close "gracefully", and you can be left with them sticking around in the Firewall Status window for some time as a result.

So are you saying this is more of a problem with the other program, than Online Armor? Why would OA show a program that isn't actually running? Are you saying the program is still running, but Task Manager isn't showing it?

The alerts don't time out at all. They stay on the screen until they receive a user decision.

No, I mean the date and time that the alert occured. I can't tell whether the request happened 10 seconds ago or 10 hours ago.

Thank you for trying to help.

What do you need to know? I'll find out for you next time it happens. I've disabled that option now, so I'll see if oaui.exe tries to access the internet again.

This may just be a small misundertanding in how the Firewall Status window works (see below for more details).

I have tried blocking the other piece of software from Program Access, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I've found the page in the online help which says that the programs appear green in the Firewall Status because they are "Trusted", which seems irrelevant. Surely, what's important is if they're allowed or denied access. I would have expected green to mean allowed and red to mean blocked.

I've done a bit of experimenting with LeakTest.exe from grc.com (basically, it tries to connect to their server and tells you if it succeeds). The first few times I ran it, it would ask for internet access and as soon as I pressed block, it would say that it had failed, then there would be another request (a total of 2), which I also blocked. At no point did it appear on Firewall Status. I then tried setting the file to Trusted and the behaviour changed. As soon as it tried to access the internet, it appeared in Firewall Status. From the alert, I would choose block, but the program itself still said "Connecting...", it would then ask another two times for access (a total of 3 requests), which I would also block, then a few seconds later it would say that it had failed, and Firewall Status said that it had uploaded some data.

Does either program actually show "Connected" in the "State" column of the Firewall status window at any time or did they just show as "Listen"? It sounds like the programs have tried to send out the data but it hasn't gone anywhere beyond your computer because it's been blocked by your firewall rule. You can also activate logging under Options -> Firewall for Blocked events and check the Firewall log to see the blocked traffic.

Yes, and "Inbound Data" is showing the rate of download for all entries combined, right? If so, when I add together all of the "Down Speed"s (there are only two, currently) why are they barely a quarter of the "Inbound Data"? Where is the rest of the Inbound Data coming from? I've also noticed that the "Downloaded" and "Uploaded" fields are also wrong, they are much lower than the actual figures. Basically, OA seems to have some sort of "phantom" data that it is losing track of.

Sorry, I didn't realise you were referring to the graph as well as the table data. I'm not entirely sure on this point, but the data in the table may not be updated as often as the data in graph is (I'm not sure if they are completely synchronised).

So are you saying this is more of a problem with the other program, than Online Armor? Why would OA show a program that isn't actually running? Are you saying the program is still running, but Task Manager isn't showing it?

It's not necessarily a problem with the other program as connections can be terminated abruptly for reasons that may be no fault of a program. The program isn't still running. It's just that if the connection doesn't close gracefully, OA may not be able to determine that the connection is no longer connected right away and it may take some additional time for this to be reflected in the Firewall Status Window.

No, I mean the date and time that the alert occured. I can't tell whether the request happened 10 seconds ago or 10 hours ago.

Alerts and actions taken by the user are listed in the History section of OA. There isn't no date and time on the popup itself.

Does either program actually show "Connected" in the "State" column of the Firewall status window at any time or did they just show as "Listen"? It sounds like the programs have tried to send out the data but it hasn't gone anywhere beyond your computer because it's been blocked by your firewall rule.

The "State" column said "Connecting..." and the "Uploaded" and "Up Speed" columns had some figures in them (I can't remember what, exactly, it doesn't matter). Although it may not have said "Connected", surely it shouldn't have said anything in the State column, and it certainly shouldn't have been allowed to upload anything.

I didn't realise you were referring to the graph as well as the table data. I'm not entirely sure on this point, but the data in the table may not be updated as often as the data in graph is (I'm not sure if they are completely synchronised).

Do you work on Online Armor, or for Emsisoft? I was hoping to get some help with these problems from some "Online Armor Staff", as mentioned on the front page. You're obviously going to struggle to answer some of my questions if you don't actually work on the program. However, you seem to be the only person willing to offer any support in the whole forum.

Thank you.

I simply meant www.online-armor.com.

Unfortunately, as we're in the middle of changing ISP's I don't really have an e-mail address I could use to sign up to the CC (not one that won't be cancelled very soon). If I did, I could have sent an e-mail to [email protected], I think.

Apart from that, I was hoping for the support to be as close to real-time as possible. It's one thing to wait for an hour for a response on a forum, I don't really have time to wait a day for a reply via e-mail. Apart from anything else, the trial only lasts for 30 days and for a number of other reasons, I probably only have a couple of days to get this fixed.

I went for Comodo firewall first, because apparently it's the better firewall, but when it wouldn't work, I got very little support. I thought that was because Comodo was free, and so I was getting what I had paid for, so that's why I installed Online Armor Premium. Now, of course, I haven't paid for it yet, because it's still in the trial period, but the whole point of a trial is to find out if the software works and what the support is like. Well, the firewall isn't working and I'm not getting any support. I'd have to be mad to pay for that.

I suppose I'll have to use someone else's e-mail address and contact [email protected] or sign-up at the CC (is there a difference?), but I suspect I'll get nowhere in the next few days (if I even get a response) and so I'll have to uninstall OA and look for another firewall.

Thank you for trying to help catprincess