Batman

Exploiting (Almost) Every Antivirus Software

Our software isn't listed as being vulnerable, and I am not aware of any reports of our software being vulnerable.

EAM's not listed, but at the foot of the page they do say "We have received questions about lesser-known antivirus software not listed on this page and all were found to be vulnerable." which doesn't make it clear whether they tested EAM or not.

12 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

EAM's not listed, but at the foot of the page they do say "We have received questions about lesser-known antivirus software not listed on this page and all were found to be vulnerable." which doesn't make it clear whether they tested EAM or not.

Unfortunately that doesn't say a whole lot, and I haven't been told if EAM is known to be effected.

> Unfortunately that doesn't say a whole lot,

Indeed...

> and I haven't been told if EAM is known to be effected.

Have you asked?  I expect the OP (and anyone else reading this) would at least like to be sure that your programmers know about this particular potential problem.

I would think that by now any AV that was affected will have done something about it as it was first posted on April 20th.

Almost every antivirus vendor mentioned on this page is now patched with the exception of a few, who will likely have patches out shortly given the media attention.

4 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Have you asked?

I did ask QA, and I was just informed that they tested it and EAM detected the EICAR string and moved the script to quarantine.

Edit:

image.png
Download Image

Ok, that's better than nothing.    But the vulnerability is down to the symlink/directory junctions aspect (being used to redirect the filesystem from eg a required DLL to something else, presumed to be malicious as was the EICAR file in the example shown on the website).   Presumably replacing the AV product's DLL with something non-malicious would also be a risk - diminishing the power of the AV product.  

If QA's test only worked because the EICAR file was detected, it's not checking the right thing. 

17 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

If QA's test only worked because the EICAR file was detected, it's not checking the right thing. 

I would believe BitDefender's scan engine detected the EICAR signature because they've already fixed this.

So what happens if nearly the same bat file is used but instead of the EICAR file an innocent .exe or .dll is aligned with the AV product's one?

55 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

So what happens if nearly the same bat file is used but instead of the EICAR file an innocent .exe or .dll is aligned with the AV product's one?

Nothing. I was just told that a symlink issue in EAM was reported and fixed some time ago, so EAM's cleaning engine won't follow symlinks (meaning it won't restore to them, or quarantine/delete from them).
https://bogner.sh/2017/11/local-privilege-escalation-in-emsisoft-anti-malware-by-abusing-ntfs-directory-junctions-avgater/

Edit: In case there's any confusion about my statement, it means EAM wasn't vulnerable to this newly reported symlink issue.

Edited by GT500