ParhaM

Controlled Folder Access feature

Hi
got a question about the mentioned feature
do you have any plan to add such a feature in the future? if you don't may i ask why is that? is it because you think no ransomware is going to bypass the BB?

Regards,

At the moment I don't think we have plans to add such a feature, however please keep in mind that we don't normally talk about or announce new features until we have a beta available for everyone to try.

3 hours ago, Mr.Pr said:

is it because you think no ransomware is going to bypass the BB?

It's more that we don't think it's any more effective than our Behavior Blocker. Keep in mind that Microsoft already implemented such a feature, and yet more computers with no third-party anti-virus software installed are getting hit with ransomware.

• Thanks 1

> Keep in mind that Microsoft already implemented such a feature...

But don't users have to turn it on?  Security-minded users might well do so, but those who couldn't care less, or are non-technical, or think it won't happen to them, won't do.

Tell me, can Win 10 users enable Controlled Folder Access and also use EAM?   Or is CFA only possible if you use Defender's a/v capabilities instead of EAM?

(I would very much like to have CFA, not just for protection against ransomware etc, but also programming accidents (ie situations I hadn't properly thought through in my own code) and mistakes made using unfamiliar products.   As far as I can tell CFA is a pretty crude system, with folders being protected or not - whereas it's even better if you can dictate which processes can access particular folders.  CFA - as far as I know - does allow you to grant access to all allowed folders, per program, but that's a bit unsubtle.  There's no reason why - say - my favourite graphics utility should be able to update system folders; it'd be far better if it could be set up only to be able to update the folders where I kept the project I was working on.)

20 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

But don't users have to turn it on?

I would believe that's the case, however I don't remember for certain  if Microsoft ever switched it on by default.

20 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Tell me, can Win 10 users enable Controlled Folder Access and also use EAM?   Or is CFA only possible if you use Defender's a/v capabilities instead of EAM?

Windows Controlled Folder Access only works if Windows Defender is on. If you disable "Windows Security Center integration" in EAM's Advanced Settings then Windows Defender can run at the same time as EAM, however we don't test this and there may be unexpected issues.