qwerty

OA is missing one of my interfaces.

When I connect to my dial-up account, it appears in the "Interfaces" tab of Firewall settings (and according to the online help, is therefore firewalled), but when I connect to a secondary network connection, OA doesn't detect it and add it to the Interfaces. It does bring up an alert about detecting a new network, but it is blank, there is no information in the details section. I then press "OK", but nothing appears in the Interfaces section. How can I bring this other network connection into OA (why isn't it automatic?) I do have "New networks discovery" enabled.

Also, I read on the online help that "The Interfaces list is color coded to indicate automatically Trusted (yellow), manually Trusted (green), Not-Trusted (red), or disabled/not applicable (grey)." The interface on this machine, however, is both green and yellow (like the picture in the online help). The first column is green, the second is yellow, the third is green and the fourth is yellow. Also, the "Trusted" option is not ticked. So, I'm not sure if this is automatically trusted, manually trusted (I haven't done anything) or not trusted. Finally, should it be trusted or not? Surely not, because it's the internet.

Thank you.

Also, I read on the online help that "The Interfaces list is color coded to indicate automatically Trusted (yellow), manually Trusted (green), Not-Trusted (red), or disabled/not applicable (grey)." The interface on this machine, however, is both green and yellow (like the picture in the online help). The first column is green, the second is yellow, the third is green and the fourth is yellow. Also, the "Trusted" option is not ticked. So, I'm not sure if this is automatically trusted, manually trusted (I haven't done anything) or not trusted. Finally, should it be trusted or not? Surely not, because it's the internet.

The image of the interface in the webhelp shows it as appears when it's trusted by default. Your interface seems to be untrusted by default (I don't have a dial up connection but this is likely normal).

It depends on what kind of setup you have as to whether you might want your interface trusted or not. I can't see any reason that you'd need to trust a dial up connection though.

For a LAN connection, if you have a home network and want to share files or printers amongst these computers, then trusting the network is a simple way to get this to work (it can be done with an untrusted network if you trust individual computers separately from the Firewall -> Computers tab). You can read more about what setting might be best for your usage scenario here http://www.online-armor.com/webhelp3/HomeOffice.html

The image of the interface in the webhelp shows it as appears when it's trusted by default. Your interface seems to be untrusted by default (I don't have a dial up connection but this is likely normal).

So, if it's yellow and green, it's automatically trusted, but if it's all green, it's manually trusted? Also, how can it be automatically trusted, yet the "Trusted" option is not ticked? Which is correct?

Finally, how can I get OA to see (and firewall) my other Interface?

Thank you.

So, if it's yellow and green, it's automatically trusted, but if it's all green, it's manually trusted?

Yes, that's correct

Also, how can it be automatically trusted, yet the "Trusted" option is not ticked? Which is correct?

It wasn't automatically trusted. The yellow colouring indicates the default Trust status (ie, the status that was assigned either during installation or when the interface was first detected). In your case, the default Trust status of this interface is "Untrusted".

Finally, how can I get OA to see (and firewall) my other Interface?

What kind of connection is this that OA isn't seeing? A regular LAN connection? Bluetooth? Mobile broadband?

It wasn't automatically trusted. The yellow colouring indicates the default Trust status (ie, the status that was assigned either during installation or when the interface was first detected). In your case, the default Trust status of this interface is "Untrusted".

I really don't understand this (I'm sure you can tell). I thought you just said that the yellow colouring meant it was automatically trusted, and then you say it is untrusted, in the same post. Plus, the web help says that untrusted is marked red. Is there any other documentation I could read to help me understand this?

What kind of connection is this that OA isn't seeing? A regular LAN connection? Bluetooth? Mobile broadband?

I'm not sure. It's something that appears when I connect to AOL.

Thank you for trying to explain all of this to me.

I really don't understand this (I'm sure you can tell). I thought you just said that the yellow colouring meant it was automatically trusted, and then you say it is untrusted, in the same post. Plus, the web help says that untrusted is marked red. Is there any other documentation I could read to help me understand this?

Sorry, I didn't explain this well. The yellow colouring in the "Active" and "Address, Mask" columns only indicates that the interface is set to the default setting (the setting it was automatically set to when the interface was first detected). The default setting of an interface can be either Trusted on Untrusted. The "Trusted" column and the "Description" column show the actual Trust status of the interface (ie green for Trusted or Red for Untrusted). If the user has changed the setting from it's default setting, the "Active" and "Address, Mask" columns will no longer be yellow; instead they will just match the colour of the "Trusted" and "Description" column.

I'm not sure what exactly was going on your interface though. If the "Trust" and "Description" columns were green, then the Trust column should have been ticked but you said this wasn't the case. In any case, you should now be able to tick or untick the Trusted column and all the columns should then turn green or red accordingly.

I'm not sure. It's something that appears when I connect to AOL.

You don't connect to AOL through the dialup connection then?

Sorry, I didn't explain this well. The yellow colouring in the "Active" and "Address, Mask" columns only indicates that the interface is set to the default setting (the setting it was automatically set to when the interface was first detected). The default setting of an interface can be either Trusted on Untrusted. The "Trusted" column and the "Description" column show the actual Trust status of the interface (ie green for Trusted or Red for Untrusted). If the user has changed the setting from it's default setting, the "Active" and "Address, Mask" columns will no longer be yellow; instead they will just match the colour of the "Trusted" and "Description" column.

I'm not sure what exactly was going on your interface though. If the "Trust" and "Description" columns were green, then the Trust column should have been ticked but you said this wasn't the case. In any case, you should now be able to tick or untick the Trusted column and all the columns should then turn green or red accordingly.

That's strange because I think it's doing the opposite of what you say. I didn't explain it very well either. The "Active" and "Address, Mask" columns are green, the "Trusted" and "Description" columns are yellow and the box that is inside the "Trusted" column is not ticked

You don't connect to AOL through the dialup connection then?

Sorry, this is confusing as well. It used to be the case that we would run the AOL software, choose to connect and it would dial and connect through the software. A while ago it changed. Now there is a standard dial-up connection in "Network Connections" which, when run, dials and connects to the internet. OA detects this "Interface" and shows it as I've just described. To check e-mail, browse the web or use other functions of the AOL software, the AOL software has to be loaded and then "Sign in" selected. Once it verifies username and password, it loads and another connection appears under "Network Connections". This new connection is what OA seems to struggle with. As explained above, it says that a new network is detected, but the details box is completely blank and nothing appears on the Interfaces tab.

That's strange because I think it's doing the opposite of what you say. I didn't explain it very well either. The "Active" and "Address, Mask" columns are green, the "Trusted" and "Description" columns are yellow and the box that is inside the "Trusted" column is not ticked

Can you manually tick the Trusted box so that the yellow columns turn green, then untick it again and they should turn red?

Sorry, this is confusing as well. It used to be the case that we would run the AOL software, choose to connect and it would dial and connect through the software. A while ago it changed. Now there is a standard dial-up connection in "Network Connections" which, when run, dials and connects to the internet. OA detects this "Interface" and shows it as I've just described. To check e-mail, browse the web or use other functions of the AOL software, the AOL software has to be loaded and then "Sign in" selected. Once it verifies username and password, it loads and another connection appears under "Network Connections". This new connection is what OA seems to struggle with. As explained above, it says that a new network is detected, but the details box is completely blank and nothing appears on the Interfaces tab.

I'm not sure if this how your AOL connection works, but I found a little about it here http://navigators.com/aol.html If your connection is like the AOL connection described there, it seems that it uses a proprietary protocol to connect to AOL, rather than the Standard TCP/IP protocol that is used for a regular connection to an ISP. Perhaps this is why OA can't display any details for this interface.

The "Active" and "Address, Mask" columns are green

Those columns are a bit confusing sometimes...

They are green when the network interface is active or connected. If you untick the first column (active), then both columns ("Active" and "Address, Mask") will change to grey colour (which stays for interface "disabled").

I'm not sure if this how your AOL connection works, but I found a little about it here http://navigators.com/aol.html If your connection is like the AOL connection described there, it seems that it uses a proprietary protocol to connect to AOL, rather than the Standard TCP/IP protocol that is used for a regular connection to an ISP. Perhaps this is why OA can't display any details for this interface.

It isn't really like that, as the machine doesn't have any special AOL hardware, just a standard modem. It's the AOL software that creates the second connection. I believe the dial-up uses the standard TCP/IP protocol like all dial-up connections. Also, if I look in the properties of the second connection, on the "Networking" tab, it says "This connection uses the following items:" and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" is there.

Those columns are a bit confusing sometimes...

They are green when the network interface is active or connected. If you untick the first column (active), then both columns ("Active" and "Address, Mask") will change to grey colour (which stays for interface "disabled").

I can't untick the box in the "Active" column. I've tried left-clicking and right-clicking, but nothing happens. Should I definately be able to? Or am I missing something?

I can't untick the box in the "Active" column. I've tried left-clicking and right-clicking, but nothing happens. Should I definately be able to? Or am I missing something?

Sorry, I have no idea how it works with a standard modem/dialup connection and with the AOL software that creates your connection.

It isn't really like that, as the machine doesn't have any special AOL hardware, just a standard modem. It's the AOL software that creates the second connection. I believe the dial-up uses the standard TCP/IP protocol like all dial-up connections. Also, if I look in the properties of the second connection, on the "Networking" tab, it says "This connection uses the following items:" and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" is there.

I really don't know how it works then. If you have to be connected to the dialup first in order to connect to AOL, then it would seem to all be going through the dial up connection anyway. Perhaps AOL connects you to a VPN when you go through them and that's what the interface is for.

If the interface is in use you can't untick the Active column. Actually I didn't think you could ever untick that column as I thought it was purely reporting a status, not allowing you to select it, one way or the other, but I only have one interface here and it sounds like Nick is able to untick his Active column (unless I misunderstood his post).

it sounds like Nick is able to untick his Active column (unless I misunderstood his post).

I'm not sure if in the past I was able to only tick or untick (one way or the other) the wireless interface in my father's PC - which has two network interfaces.

Currently I cannot untick the interface in use in my PC - my machine has only one interface.

I really don't know how it works then. If you have to be connected to the dialup first in order to connect to AOL, then it would seem to all be going through the dial up connection anyway. Perhaps AOL connects you to a VPN when you go through them and that's what the interface is for.

No, neither do I! And apparently, neither does OA, which is why I came here.

I think you're right about everything going through the dial-up connection, because if that isn't connected, then nothing happens.

What brought me to the interfaces tab and the realisation that the AOL connection wasn't being detected, was the problem I've already mentioned where the majority of internet traffic seems to be going "around" the firewall. When I looked at the downloaded data for the dial-up and the AOL connections, I saw that the dial-up was slightly larger and (perhaps coincidentally) it was by about the same amount as OA was reporting. So, to my (admittedly ignorant) eyes, it looks as though the data that goes purely through the dial-up is detected by OA, but the data that goes through the other connection (even though it is actually going through the dial-up, as you say) is completely missed by OA.

I opened a support ticket about this two days ago, how long should it take before I get a reply?

Each support request will be answered as soon as possible, usually within less than 24 hours. The Emsisoft team prides itself on its response speed.

I don't think so. I must have been at this forum for a week and I've had no responses from Emsisoft. I also sent them an e-mail a few days ago and have had no reply.

Thank you for the suggestion catprincess.

I used the chat feature, and although the person I "spoke" to couldn't help me, he alerted someone else to my support ticket.