Hello all!

In the Windows Task Manager is constantly running Google Installer🤥

I understand that this is a safe application and it is constantly looking for browser updates.

However - the google update service is in my manual start.

The task scheduler for this program is also disabled. There is no this program in the startup.

Why is the process running all the time?🤨

I understand that you can complete it through the Windows Task Manager - but the next time you start the system - it works again!

Of course, you can block the file through EAM (BB)😉 - but then the browser will not be able to update to the new version!

How to be?

In general - does it need to be stopped?

I ask because on another machine I do not have this process in constant work)

2020-05-19 17_32_46-Диспетчер задач.jpg
Download Image

2020-05-19 17_52_17-Update.jpg
Download Image

2020-05-19 17_55_29-.jpg
Download Image

Does this happen after a restart (not standby) before you start the browser at all?

Yes, the process appears every time you start the system, even BEFORE opening the Chrome browser.

Even now - I’m working with Firefox, and the Google installer is running ...

Of course, he doesn’t bother me😉

But ... why?🙄

No idea, probably a slow update connection. You could try to check if the browser is up to date via Help > About Chrome in the menu.

I have no GoogleUpdater running here (Win 8.1, using Firefox).  But I do have a "GoogleCrashHandler" and a "GoogleCrashHandler64" both of which were started by a parent process that's no longer running - probably an instance of Google Chrome.  They were started a couple of weeks ago; one has used no cpu time and the other less than a quarter of a second's cpu time - which is fair enough if they just start and wait for something. 

@andrewek - you say one machine doesn't have the updater running; have you looked at every page of options in Google Chrome on both systems to see if they are set up the same way? Who starts them?  Dunno.  Have you searched the registry for entries naming these programs?  Have you looked in the event logs for audit records showing them being started (only possible if you have process creation auditing turned on)?  If you go into Chrome (and it itself is uptodate) what about the things listed at  (URL)  chrome://components  - you should be able to ask Chrome to (try to) update each of those.  If you do, do they actually get updated, or say they're uptodate?  Maybe although the main part of Chrome is uptodate one of those smaller bits is not, and it keeps trying to update and fails for some reason?   

Hi!

No, updating the browser on both machines works absolutely fine and Chrome browsers are up-to-date!😉
But here on one computer the described process does not load the system (it appears only when the update check is manually started)
And on the other, it starts automatically even without the participation of the user (that is, mine)
This is the problem.
If this is a problem, of course!😉
I'm just wondering why this is?
After all, the configuration and setup of both systems is almost identical!
Windows 10(1909)x64 Pro

Hello!

Thank! That's exactly what I did!

I just do not understand - why?

Today, there is NO process in the Task Manager.

I did not change anything in the settings. Of course, Chrome is a very wayward browser and does what it wants😄

In the end, it doesn’t bother me ..
It's just curious - has anyone else encountered this?

Why?  Might be if your version of Chrome runs any plugins or extensions that go looking for things.  

However, I looked in the Google Chrome Help forum for references to this "Continue running..." option and found some people who have the option turned off still have google tasks running.   Nobody who actually knows why Chrome does stuff answered any of the questions; answers were just guesses from other users.

One example / guess I saw related to "Metro" / "Modern" apps ... suggesting that if you have any that eg use google to fetch news headlines and show them in tiles, that some of these tasks could be the fetchers that have to run all the time for that to work.   I have no idea if that's actually the case. 

Google Update runs as a scheduled task.  There are 2 scheduled tasks related to Google Update.  The Google Repair Service runs the Google Chrome Elevation Service when Google Updates needs to be repaired because the update algorithm detects that Google Updates are not occurring.

51 minutes ago, andrewek said:

2) In the task scheduler - everything is manual!

That looks like the scheduled tasks are just disabled. If you check that box, I think Autoruns will re-enable it.

Hello!

Of course, just disabled!
I specifically disabled them, so that there wouldn’t be autorun checking for browser updates!
Only by hand!
Therefore, it is not clear that with the autorun disabled, Google Update still periodically (not always!)Appears in the Windows Task Manager.
No, I won’t put a tick and turn it on, why not?

p.s.You know, if experts say nothing dangerous, it should be so - I, of course, will leave it as it is.
It seems - not everything that happens in the system can be logically explained🙄

Google Chrome probably starts the service itself the first time you launch it.

17 hours ago, andrewek said:

Even if the browser is not running?

At least one of the services wouldn't stop running if you close Google Chrome. It's meant to run all the time.

Hello!

It’s not entirely clear why the Google Installer behaves this way😉
(when all the settings should not allow the program to start automatically regardless of the user) - but thanks anyway for all the answers!