Interface is extremely sluggish (scrolling, navigating)

The EMSISOFT interface is extremely sluggish to perform trivial tasks.  Things like window dragging and scrolling act like the app is starved of resources.

I am on a Ryzen 9 3900x 12 core, CPU average 20% usage, 32gb of ram Free

No other application acts this way.

Version reports as 2020.5.0.10149

Any assistance appreciated,  as it is painful navigating the app at present so slow.

22 hours ago, Jason F said:

I am on a Ryzen 9 3900x 12 core, CPU average 20% usage, 32gb of ram Free

20% CPU usage on a 3900X is the equivalent to having 5 of its logical cores maxed out (unless of course you have SMT turned off). Have you checked to see what's eating up all that CPU time?

22 hours ago, Jason F said:

The EMSISOFT interface is extremely sluggish to perform trivial tasks.  Things like window dragging and scrolling act like the app is starved of resources.

With 24 logical cores 4.1% CPU usage for a single thread is the equivalent of maxing out 1 core, or roughly 8.2% with SMT off (it's on by default). What's the CPU usage of a2start.exe (look in the Task Manager under the Details tab for process names)? If it's maxing out a full core, then right-click on the little Emsisoft icon in the lower-right corner of the screen (to the left of the clock) and select Shut down protection. After that hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys on your keyboard and press Esc to open the Task Manager, click More details in the lower-left, switch to the Details tab, and wait until a2service.exe disappears from the list. Next you can re-open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the Start Menu, and the CPU usage will be normal.

@stapp,   Windows 10 1909 

a2* services are using less than 1% at present.  Note when i reported my system was at 20% it was compiling code.  Typically it is much less like now at 8%. 

I've shutdown protection, closed the app and restarted.  It's now back to being typical performance. 

I'll monitor this, as it has now happened a few times, and it is the only app that performs this sluggish.

Taskmgr_fMLOL5MDPl.png.ad1130ad3cf9a540882c34c723998d51.png

@Jason F  - in your screenshot, is CPU use the second column from the right?   (Column layout is up to you - they can be reordered - and that means I can't tell.)

Because if it is, you're showing a2start (which runs the GUI) using 4% cpu.  And - as @GT500pointed out above that means one core is running flat out on a2start.  It should be using much much less.  As well as the known problem when a2service sometimes uses far too much cpu, there's a related (maybe) problem where a2start uses far too much cpu.  That's discussed in the thread: https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/32777-high-cpu-usage-from-a2start-and-commservice/   EAM works fine with a2start stopped - you should be able to right-click it in Task Manager and choose to End Task.  (Though that will need you to run Task Manager under Admin auth.)   If and when you later click the systray icon to access the GUI, a2start will be restarted.

5 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

@Jason F  - in your screenshot, is CPU use the second column from the right?   (Column layout is up to you - they can be reordered - and that means I can't tell.)

Because if it is, you're showing a2start (which runs the GUI) using 4% cpu.  And - as @GT500pointed out above that means one core is running flat out on a2start.  It should be using much much less.  As well as the known problem when a2service sometimes uses far too much cpu, there's a related (maybe) problem where a2start uses far too much cpu.  That's discussed in the thread: https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/32777-high-cpu-usage-from-a2start-and-commservice/   EAM works fine with a2start stopped - you should be able to right-click it in Task Manager and choose to End Task.  (Though that will need you to run Task Manager under Admin auth.)   If and when you later click the systray icon to access the GUI, a2start will be restarted.

Apologies for not labelling the columns, you are correct 2nd from right is CPU.  I'll take a look at the thread you posted seems related and more diagnostics than what I have done.

5 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

EAM works fine with a2start stopped - you should be able to right-click it in Task Manager and choose to End Task.  (Though that will need you to run Task Manager under Admin auth.)

You will also need to disable self-protection in EAM's advanced settings before it will be possible to terminate a2start.exe this way.

6 hours ago, Jason F said:

I've shutdown protection, closed the app and restarted.  It's now back to being typical performance. 

I'll monitor this, as it has now happened a few times, and it is the only app that performs this sluggish.

This does sound like the issue that @JeremyNicoll mentioned. Hopefully we'll be able to release a fix for this soon.

@GT500said: You will also need to disable self-protection in EAM's advanced settings before it will be possible to terminate a2start.exe this way.

Are you sure?  Self-protection is on, here, but I terminate a2start several times a day (using Process Hacker's Terminate, rather than TM's End Task) with no difficulty.

16 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Are you sure?  Self-protection is on, here, but I terminate a2start several times a day (using Process Hacker's Terminate, rather than TM's End Task) with no difficulty.

Yes, I'm sure. If you want to know why it's working for you, then send me a private message.

Does the new beta help with this issue?
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/36318/emsisoft-anti-malware-2020-6-beta/

Here's how to install it:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, in the Updates section, look for Update feed.
  5. Click on the box to the right of where it says Update feed, and select Beta from the list.
  6. Right-click on the little Emsisoft icon in the lower-right corner of the screen (to the left of the clock).
  7. Select Update now from the list.

4 hours ago, GT500 said:

I have updated to the beta,  I'll report back should the issue reoccur.  Just to restate, this was a sometimes problem not always.   

Also if I am on a beta train, when do betas typically get rolled into releases?  i.e. when should I typically move back to the release train?

4 hours ago, Jason F said:

Also if I am on a beta train, when do betas typically get rolled into releases?  i.e. when should I typically move back to the release train?

There are usually stable releases at the beginning of each month, and new betas around the end of each month. We usually announce new stable updates at the following link:
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/category/emsisoft-news/product-updates/