stapp

CLOSED a2start on beta 10204

You may or may not remember Frank I have always had very low figure showing in taskmanager details for all the 3 Emsi things.

Since you 'fixed' the a2start thing in this new beta my a2start CPU moves between 1-2-and 3%  constantly. I also cannot get memory usage down to previous levels. Plus the processes window jumps all the time because of a2start.

What did you change that could have had this affect on my machine? I know it is not a high CPU etc, but I've never had it before.

I've just posted in the main forum thread (because 'normal' users who don't use betas were recommended to try it) about a2start cpu (on my Win 8.1 system), where I said:

--------------------------------------------------------

My initial impression regarding  a2start  cpu behaviour has changed, but maybe isn't right.   I thought that last night after the dynamic install of the beta, and this morning I have done a full shutdown and cold boot.  (Using 64bit Win 8.1 with a 4-core 8-cpu machine).  Previously when a2start was behaving, its cpu use would typically be a steady 0.11 or 0.12%.

When I first logged-in after the reboot today, a2start was showing changing cpu use, on what seems (PH-wise) to be a 3-second cycle, that is I'd see over a 3-second period values like 0.09 0.23 0.22   (ie 0.09 then a second later 0.23 then a second later 0.22 then a second later it'd go back to 0.09 and that would repeat).

By about 25 minutes later, there's been a slight increase.  The low figure is typically 0.10 or 0.11 and the higher ones 0.27-0.30.   There's still a 3-second pattern.

Also: this happens even when debug-logging (which I normally always have on) is turned off.    Lows now are 0.12-0.13 and highs around 0.32-0.34  ... and I've seen a tiny handful of higher values too (between 0.4 and 0.5).

--------------------------------------------------------

And here, I'm now seeing patterns like 0.24 0.44 0.45   0.24 0.45 0.45  0.24 ...    and less often, peaks of around 1.4%.

thanks for your feedback.

We will fix these little CPU spikes in an upcoming beta.

We added a CPU monitor to be able to check when when CPU use increases, which unfortunately checks stuff every few seconds.

what we will improve:

• only check when debug logging is ON
  • check once a minute

5 minutes ago, Frank H said:

We added a CPU monitor to be able to check when when CPU use increases, which unfortunately checks stuff every few seconds.

what we will improve:

• check once a minute

Thank you :)

I look forward to it as I cannot read my Processes for anything as the screen jumps about non-stop.

8 minutes ago, stapp said:

I look forward to it as I cannot read my Processes for anything as the screen jumps about non-stop.

just sort the grid on process name instead of CPU...

Or (unless TM under Win 10 is a lot better than it is under Win 8.1) use Process Hacker where you can also filter the display to show, say, only tasks with "Emsi" in their command lines/parms.

2 minutes ago, Frank H said:

just sort the grid on process name instead of CPU...

I know I can do that, but I don't have to normally... and I blame Emsi for that 😁

27 minutes ago, Frank H said:

what we will improve:

• check once a minute

It's not just the spikes though, cpu usage is still growing.  I'm seeing  lows of 0.56-0.62 now and highs of around 0.81-0.83  ... though am just going to terminate and restart a2start to see if that fixes the logging issue.

After terminating and restarting a2start,  with debug logging off,  its cpu use is ranging from 0.17 thru 0.42.     That's  nearly double the 0.09 - 0.23 values it  used immediately after this morning's reboot.  Why would a freshly started a2start need more cpu than this morning's one?

I've just spent about 1h 45m away from the pc, and in that time a2start has slowly got busier, with its cpu now running at 0.85 - 1.09 %.  Considering that the GUI shouldn't be doing anything at all - it's not open, after all, it's hard to understand.

2 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

it's not open, after all, it's hard to understand.

if you 'close' the EAm UI it just keeps running in the background.

3 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

I've just spent about 1h 45m away from the pc, and in that time a2start has slowly got busier,

We already have fixed this in the upcoming beta2, like i explained earlier:

what we will improve:

• check once a minute

> We already have fixed this in the upcoming beta2, like i explained earlier:

Ah, sorry.  I thought your statement about what would be fixed next was this bit:

and you'd then followed that with what I thought was 'history'.  I think I now see what you mean.

The newest beta hasn't fixed the issue of a2start cpu growing.  I installed beta 10209 at noon, at which point its cpu was (still on a 3-second cycle) showing rates of 0.10   0.33   0.33  whereas now it's gone up to  0.25  0.48  0.48. 

6 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

The newest beta hasn't fixed the issue of a2start cpu growing.  I installed beta 10209 at noon, at which point its cpu was (still on a 3-second cycle) showing rates of 0.10   0.33   0.33  whereas now it's gone up to  0.25  0.48  0.48. 

We are aware and analyzing, thanks for the feedback