Creating arule for local traffic.

qwerty

Whenever I open IE8, it tries to make a UDP connection to 127.0.0.1 on a random port.

Firstly, I assume this is normal (is it?) because I understand that ths IP address doesn't refer to the internet, but is simply within this machine, right?

Secondly, does anyone know what this does?

Finally, assuming this is perferctly normal, how do I create a rule to allow this? If I select to create a rule when I allow it, it seems OA makes a rule to allow allow UDP out from that specific port, to any IP address, which is the opposite of what I want. I think I want to create a rule that allows UDP out from any port to a specific IP address. In Comodo, I would create a rule for iexplore.exe to allow UDP out, to 127.0.0.1 from any port, but I'm not sure how to do this is OA.

Thank you.

Whenever I open IE8, it tries to make a UDP connection to 127.0.0.1 on a random port.

Firstly, I assume this is normal (is it?) because I understand that ths IP address doesn't refer to the internet, but is simply within this machine, right?

Secondly, does anyone know what this does?

Yes it's normal. IE talks to itself over the loopback interface (127.0.0.1) so what you are seeing is just the browsers internal communication.

Finally, assuming this is perferctly normal, how do I create a rule to allow this? If I select to create a rule when I allow it, it seems OA makes a rule to allow allow UDP out from that specific port, to any IP address, which is the opposite of what I want. I think I want to create a rule that allows UDP out from any port to a specific IP address. In Comodo, I would create a rule for iexplore.exe to allow UDP out, to 127.0.0.1 from any port, but I'm not sure how to do this is OA.

In the Firewall Rule Editor, you can add all ports to a rule by right clicking in the "Ports list" box and choosing "Add all ports" from the context menu.

Endpoint restrictions can be set using the "Endpoint Restrictions" tab in the Firewall Rule Editor (this tab is only visible in Advanced mode). Untick "Use global restrictions" and under the title "Allow connections", select the radio box for "only to the following endpoints", click the "Add" button and then enter the appropriate IP address (in your case 127.0.0.1) into the IP address field and then click "OK".

The section on creating Firewall rules here http://www.online-armor.com/webhelp3/FWCRules.html includes images and might also be helpful if you haven't seen it yet.

In the Firewall Rule Editor, you can add all ports to a rule by right clicking in the "Ports list" box and choosing "Add all ports" from the context menu.

Endpoint restrictions can be set using the "Endpoint Restrictions" tab in the Firewall Rule Editor (this tab is only visible in Advanced mode). Untick "Use global restrictions" and under the title "Allow connections", select the radio box for "only to the following endpoints", click the "Add" button and then enter the appropriate IP address (in your case 127.0.0.1) into the IP address field and then click "OK".

The section on creating Firewall rules here http://www.online-armor.com/webhelp3/FWCRules.html includes images and might also be helpful if you haven't seen it yet.

Ah, right click in the box, thank you. I haven't managed to read all of the web help yet, I downloaded it to read offline, but the side menu wouldn't appear, so I ended up just reading the pages in alphabetical order (which wasn't ideal).

So, I've put 127.0.0.1 into the IP address boxes, but what about "Mask"?

Just leave the mask as is. If you enter an IP range rather than just a single IP, for example, the "Mask" field will automatically change to the appropriate setting that fits the range.

OK, I'll take your word for it.

Is it actually possible to change the Mask field, or does it just look like it is?