andrewek

Application terminated?

Hello all!

This is me again)😌
At first I thought it was an accident ...
But no - the error is repeated on two (!) systems after each connection of any external storage medium (USB, external SSD, etc.)

a2guard.exe stops working after connecting an external device. In the previous version of EAM this was not)
It seems that this is some kind of error of the new version?

2020-06-02 18_04_51-Application terminated.jpg
Download Image

What does the eventlog record for a2guard.exe terminating look like?  (hopefully it's in English) but more to the point should show the type of exception and address in the module...

Also, did EAM offer to send a dump to Emsisoft?

• Like 1

I have just plugged in a USB on Win 10 2004 using EAM 10209 and had no problem.

Yes, I suggested sending a dump, but all the time an error occurred while sending! is not sent.
Unfortunately, the message is only in Russian!

I tried several times, and each time after connecting the USB, the program stopped working.

The problem is only when connecting something.
Otherwise, EAM works without problems.

Specifically: I plug in a flash, EAM displays a message about the need for verification (or not) and after a few seconds it stops working.
But it easily starts again manually.

p.s. The only new app is O&O ShutUp with the recommended settings. Can this application cause this crash?

2020-06-02 20_29_51-Application terminated.jpg
Download Image

2 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

What does the eventlog record for a2guard.exe terminating look like?  (hopefully it's in English) but more to the point should show the type of exception and address in the module...

Also, did EAM offer to send a dump to Emsisoft?

Yes, I managed to send a message with my mailing address!

13 hours ago, andrewek said:

p.s. The only new app is O&O ShutUp with the recommended settings. Can this application cause this crash?

No. I use ShutUp10 on my system, and it has never caused an issue with EAM.

13 hours ago, andrewek said:

Yes, I suggested sending a dump, but all the time an error occurred while sending! is not sent.

Let's try getting a diagnostic log. The instructions and download are available at the following link:
https://help.emsisoft.com/en/1735/how-do-i-use-the-emsisoft-diagnostic-tool/

• Like 1

Hello!

Should I reproduce the problem with the Diagnostic tool or just run it without connecting USB?

Ok, done!

I have three logs: a log from a stationary computer (1), a log from a laptop (2), and a third - from a laptop when the usb is connected, when a2guard.exe crashed again (3).🤥

I will add also that today on a stationary computer, even when connecting a USB - there are no problems.
Only on a laptop!
p.s. I did not make any changes to the system settings and EAM.
In general, everything is somehow incomprehensible ...

EmsisoftDiagLog.txt EmsisoftDiagLog.txt EmsisoftDiagLog.txt

Which log is from the computer with the a2guard.exe crash?

Something is preventing the computer from resolving the IP addresses for arctic.emsisoft.com and dl.emsisoft.com. Have you already checked this computer's HOSTS file for any lines containing "emsisoft"?

Also, is there any other security software installed that could be filtering DNS requests? Adguard for Windows perhaps?

33 minutes ago, stapp said:

Is this from the laptop with Core isolation turned on?

Yes!

23 minutes ago, GT500 said:

Something is preventing the computer from resolving the IP addresses for arctic.emsisoft.com and dl.emsisoft.com. Have you already checked this computer's HOSTS file for any lines containing "emsisoft"?

Also, is there any other security software installed that could be filtering DNS requests? Adguard for Windows perhaps?

Yes, AdGuard 7.4.1

But can this possibly be the reason for the crash of a2guard.exe  when connecting to USB?

4 minutes ago, andrewek said:

But can this possibly be the reason for the crash of a2guard.exe  when connecting to USB?

I wouldn't expect it to be, however it could be blocking EAM from connecting to our servers, and thus be what's preventing you from submitting the crash report.

I successfully sent a crash report yesterday!

But I can repeat it!

I looked carefully at the host file - there are no such entries

That's OK. As long as we receive the crash report, that should be fine.

Can you try turning off the notification for removable devices in EAM's notifications settings? That might prevent the crash.

• Like 1

ok, I'll do it and look

Done!

I turned off removable notifications on the laptop (!) - and surprisingly 😉- the a2guard.exe crash did not happen when the device was connected!

However, I again sent a message to Emsisoft about the crash.

It was successfully sent to my mailing address. Screen, of course, in Russian.

Of course, the situation is completely incomprehensible to me:

on a stationary PC today everything is fine,

but on a laptop - the problem of disabling the message about external media fixed the problem!

I wonder what’s the matter here?

2020-06-03 11_49_22-Application terminated.png
Download Image

2020-06-03 12_05_08-Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home.jpg
Download Image

Hello all!

I checked again!
Yes, the problem is that the a2guard.exe crashes only when the notification about connecting an removable device is turned on.
If you turn off the notification, the problem disappears.

31 minutes ago, andrewek said:

Hello all!

I checked again!
Yes, the problem is that the a2guard.exe crashes only when the notification about connecting an removable device is turned on.
If you turn off the notification, the problem disappears.

This doesn't happen on my machine and I have the notification turned on.

I don't have core isolation turned on.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 2:38 AM, andrewek said:

I wonder what’s the matter here?

It could be related to the new version of Sciter (the framework we use to build EAM's UI) we updated to in EAM 2020.6. When we do that, there's always the possibility of new UI related bugs, and the content of the notifications is displayed using Sciter just like everything else in the UI.

20 hours ago, andrewek said:

Do you think that the turned ON Core Isolation in Windows could be the reason?

My assumption would be that it probably isn't, however we haven't tested this recently so I can't know for certain.

If you turn it off and restart the computer, does that have any effect on the issue?

4 hours ago, GT500 said:

It could be related to the new version of Sciter (the framework we use to build EAM's UI) we updated to in EAM 2020.6. When we do that, there's always the possibility of new UI related bugs, and the content of the notifications is displayed using Sciter just like everything else in the UI.

My assumption would be that it probably isn't, however we haven't tested this recently so I can't know for certain.

If you turn it off and restart the computer, does that have any effect on the issue?

Hello!

Exactly this is something new at EAM!
Because BEFORE the EAM update (Sciter) (2020.6) - I had NO problems with the crash of a2guard.exe😒

Ok, I’ll try to turn off isolation and look at the crash problem.
Then can you turn Core Isolation back On without harming the system?

p.s. EAM has been working for me for a whole year (!) with Core Isolation turned On without crash problems.
So, the reason, most likely, is not in this setting of Windows, but with a new element in EAM😌
Agree, this is a logical argument?

Hello all!

I tried on a laptop - disabled Core Isolation.
Crash problem  (a2guard.exe) - persisted 🙄 (when the notification about removable devices is On)
If notifications are turned Off, there is no crash.

Of course, I'm not an expert, but, probably, the reason is really in Sciter ( modern UI Development) - after all, only this NEW one appeared in EAM?

https://sciter.com/

p.s. For the sake of the experiment:

I turned On the Core Isolation on a stationary computer - there is no crash of a2guard.exe.

This is evidence that this Windows setting has nothing to do with it!

However, it is incomprehensible - notifications about removabledevice are included On a stationary computer - but there is no crash ...

It seems this is some kind of local EAM problem on my LAPTOP😔

22 hours ago, andrewek said:

Then can you turn Core Isolation back On without harming the system?

I'm not aware of any harm that can come to the system by toggling core isolation off and back on.

19 hours ago, andrewek said:

It seems this is some kind of local EAM problem on my LAPTOP😔

Correct, it doesn't happen on my system either, so it's more than likely something specific to this laptop that's triggering this.

• Like 1

Hello!

What am I supposed to do?
So live and work with this problem?

You have not received my crash dump sent from the EAM interface?
Very curious, what's there? What is the reason?

I see  for myself 3 ways of further developments of events:
1) Wait for the decryption of the crash dump logs ( app.terminated - a2guard.exe.)
2) Wait for the new version of EAM to appear.
3) Reinstall EAM.

If you think that reinstalling EAM will help me, which installation file should I choose to download?

0 (2).jpg
Download Image

18 hours ago, andrewek said:
What am I supposed to do?
So live and work with this problem?

For now keep the notification that's causing the crash disabled, and our developers will see what they can do about the crash report you submitted.

You have not received my crash dump sent from the EAM interface?
Very curious, what's there? What is the reason?

Crash reports are only accessible to developers, and possibly QA. They don't tell me when they receive them, and the only way to verify if they received yours would be to check by e-mail. If you entered the same e-mail address in the submission dialog that you used on the forums, then I can ask them if you would like.

If you think that reinstalling EAM will help me, which installation file should I choose to download?

Reinstalling EAM most likely won't help. Of course you can try it if you like, and you should download via MyEmsisoft if you have an account (click on Personal Licenses in the upper-left, and then click the Install protection button on the right). If you don't, then download either the "Web installer" or the "64 bit MSI installer".

• Like 1

Hello!

I agree that reinstalling is unlikely to help😔
Apparently, I have to wait ... Thanks for the desire to help!

...Trying to exclude all possible causes of the problem, I want to ask again:
Can the application O&O ShutUp settings (such as, for example, access to the file system) cause a crash a2guard?
I ask because on that day (when the crash started) only 2 events happened:
EAM was updated to version 2020.6.0. and I applied ShutUp settings.
p.s. Of course, I returned the changed settings back, but to no avail.
p.p.s.
I want to say that now, after disabling notifications, the a2guard.exe crash has stopped!

0.jpg
Download Image

On 6/6/2020 at 2:30 AM, andrewek said:

Can the application O&O ShutUp settings (such as, for example, access to the file system) cause a crash a2guard?

I think those settings only apply to UWP apps (from the Microsoft Store). They run in an AppContainer, and their access to the system is restricted by more than just whether or not they have admin rights. EAM by contrast is a traditional Windows application, and doesn't run in an AppContainer.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 2:30 AM, andrewek said:

I want to say that now, after disabling notifications, the a2guard.exe crash has stopped!

I expect it's just a UI framework related crash. We'll just have to look in to why it's happening.

Was it happening when any notification was displayed, or only the removable device notification?

Hello!

Good question!
I also thought about this - that ANY notification should crash!
But I have not had any other notifications yet - after all, notifications about updating databases have been deleted.
But I will look after this!
Perhaps a notification about installing a browser extension will work...
I'll write what will happen!

9 minutes ago, andrewek said:

But I have not had any other notifications yet - after all, notifications about updating databases have been deleted.

But I will look after this!

Here's a download link for a batch file that will be quarantined by the Behavior Blocker when you try to run it (it's safe, but I ask that you please allow the Behavior Blocker to quarantine it):
https://www.gt500.org/emsisoft/bb_test.zip

Done!

EAM (BB) quarantined the file and there was a pop-up notification about it.
The crash of the a2guard.exe - did not happen!
In addition, I tried to view the notification about the extension of the browser - there was a notification, but the crash also did not happen.
It turns out that the crash with the program - only when notified of the connection of removable device!

2020-06-09 16_45_17-.png
Download Image

2020-06-09 11_54_29-.png
Download Image

16 hours ago, andrewek said:
EAM (BB) quarantined the file and there was a pop-up notification about it.
The crash of the a2guard.exe - did not happen!
In addition, I tried to view the notification about the extension of the browser - there was a notification, but the crash also did not happen.
It turns out that the crash with the program - only when notified of the connection of removable device!

OK, that's good. Hopefully you won't see any more crashes with the removable devices notification turned off. That way you don't have to worry about it until we can get it fixed.

Hello!

Thank you, I really hope for a fix!

Another small problem, it appeared at the beginning of the month, when EAM was updated to version 2006 and a2guard.exe crashed:

the program window sizes I have selected are not saved!

At the next start of the computer - the window size (UI) is reset to "default".

This can be seen on the screenshots.

Of course, this is completely uncritical - but still😏

This was not the case with version 2005...

2020-06-09 16_24_42-.jpg
Download Image

2020-06-09 16_25_14-Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home.jpg
Download Image

19 hours ago, andrewek said:

the program window sizes I have selected are not saved!

At the next start of the computer - the window size (UI) is reset to "default".

I remember there were some users who encountered issues with the UI being larger than the available screen space, and they were unable to get the EAM window back to a manageable size. I'm not 100% certain, however the UI resizing on restart may have been an attempt to prevent that from being a problem. I'll ask QA if that's the case.

Hello!

Thank!
I want to add - this small problem with the interface - only on a laptop.
On a desktop computer there is no such problem!
Although the operating system, its settings, the list of installed programs are completely identical.

Of course, I understand that it all depends on the specific configuration of the system — although they are as close as possible to me.

I've been told that this change wasn't intentional, and we're creating a bug report for it.

Hello!

It seems that the new version (2020.7.0.) Fixed the problem with notifications!
In any case, I turned on notifications and everything is in order - there is no problem with the a2guard.exe crash!

2020-07-02 23_01_26-Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home.jpg
Download Image

10 hours ago, andrewek said:
It seems that the new version (2020.7.0.) Fixed the problem with notifications!
In any case, I turned on notifications and everything is in order - there is no problem with the a2guard.exe crash!

Awesome! thanks for letting us know. 👍

Hello!

Obviously, a small one has been fixed - but the problem with maintaining the window size of the program (interface).
In any case, I observed during the day - the program does not change the window size after restarting the computer!
Well, bravo, Emsisoft!👍

2020-07-03 18_44_59-.jpg
Download Image

@andrewek  - excuse me, but I am confused.    Is "Well, bravo, Emsisoft!" a happy statement or an unhappy/cynical one?   I can't tell from your picture whether it shows what you want it to look like ro not.

Also "Obviously, a small one has been fixed - but the problem with maintaining the window size of the program (interface)."  - is only half a sentence.  Is there meant to be more?  "But" what?

Hello!

This is without any cynicism or grin, Jeremy!
I am really pleased that the developers heard the users and fixed the problems I described here earlier (with the crash of the program and non-saving of the interface)
And what else?
It's enough!
I have no other problems with the work of EAM😌