Using OA v4.0.0.44 (Free) questions

W3FSY

I have just joined here and was a member of the old OA forum of Mike's. I see Shadow Puter Dude and Jean in Montana are members here and I have been a member of Jean's forum (Montana Menagrie) for years. I would like to ask a few questions as to new versions of OA as I've been using the old version 4.0 with no problems whatsoever running alongside Avast! Anti-Virus version 5.1.889 (Free). Would it be to any advantage for me to switch to version 4.5. My understanding is that I would not stand to gain anything if my Anti-Virus is separate and not part of my firewall??

Using my interface (OA v4.0.0.44 Free), I had clicked on Main Menu> General> Click here to check for updates and now my System Status is showing a new version of Online Armor is available and to Click here to download.

I don't want to have v 4.5 installed over the top if it will cause me problems. How would I get rid of the notification on the interface (System Status) or is the notice something not to worry about??

I installed the latest version 4.0 when I noticed the old forum would be coming to an end with the change of ownership and see all posting is to take place here at this forum now.

After reading about the changes that have been made with later versions, I think I'll most likely stay with the old version a while longer. I'm worried about conflicts with Avast AV (their shields). OA version 4.0 is one outstanding firewall. I don't have any idea if it is available anymore.

What would the procedure be as far as Removal of the old version along with the Update Procedure should I decide to Update to the latest version. I've always updated to a newer version by Trusting everything, but it has been quite some time since I've had to update. Do you close and shutdown OA and then go to Add/Remove Programs and remove the firewall? When do you get asked about Trusting everything or is that asked during installation? It is a big decision for me to make with v 4.0 working so faultless. My memory is not like it used to be. :lol:

I'll make a note of this post and the date should I decide to install a new version.

Thank you very much for your assistance, catprincess.

Ron - W3FSY (54 yrs in Amateur Radio)

What would the procedure be as far as Removal of the old version along with the Update Procedure should I decide to Update to the latest version. I've always updated to a newer version by Trusting everything, but it has been quite some time since I've had to update. Do you close and shutdown OA and then go to Add/Remove Programs and remove the firewall? When do you get asked about Trusting everything or is that asked during installation? It is a big decision for me to make with v 4.0 working so faultless. My memory is not like it used to be. :lol:

For completely removing OA (uninstalling ready for a clean install of a new version), you would go to the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and select to remove OA. It's not necessary to shut down OA first, but of course you can elect to do so if you wish. You should reboot twice after uninstalling, to ensure the drivers are properly removed. When you do a clean install, you'll be asked on the SCW Welcome screen (shown here http://www.online-armor.com/webhelp3/RunningSCW.html), if you wish to Trust everything.

For performing an upgrade install, you just download and then run the installer for the new version without uninstalling. Again, it's not necessary to shutdown OA first, but you can elect to do so. The installer will prompt you about upgrading, at which point you should select "Upgrade install". There won't be any settings to complete for an upgrade install. After you reboot, OA will enter Learning mode for 2 minutes and then you are all setup :)