Win 10 2004 updated to new beta via manual updates. All seems okay so far.

So a2start will still show the 0..1..2..0..1 in task manager CPU details?

It took a little while to start protection after update.

Annotation 2020-06-26 160451.jpg
Download Image

24 minutes ago, stapp said:

So a2start will still show the 0..1..2..0..1 in task manager CPU details?

a2start CPU and RAM usage should be improved in beta 2020.7.0.10259, we're still on that.

4 minutes ago, Frank H said:

a2start CPU and RAM usage should be improved in beta 2020.7.0.10259, we're still on that.

I may need to restart machine as my a2start is usually quite low but it hasn't dropped much at all since I updated.

I've waited a few days to see how 10259 seems to be behaving and it's certainly looking a lot better - cpu has stayed low.

However I just got to teh end of a custom scan - which was long running - just over 4 hours; two drives (both SSDs, though one is fairly empty), 1.4 million files.  The scan looked inside archives which is why it took so long (a scan of the same disks but skipping archives usually takes around 70-75 minutes).  Also debug logging is on.

But, see this summary from Process Hacker.   A2start, during the scan had a WS of 1.1 GB, and still does now that the scan is finished.  It peaked at 1.11 GB and peak virtual memory use was 1.41 GB.   It's a hell of a lot for a process that's supposedly only doing the user-facing stuff.   When I was watching the scan running, near the end, a2service - the bit that as far as I know is actually doing the work - was using around 770 MB.   I don't understand how a2start can be using more memory then the scanner itself.

20200629 a2start end of scan - WS.jpg
Download Image

On 6/29/2020 at 12:32 AM, JeremyNicoll said:

But, see this summary from Process Hacker.   A2start, during the scan had a WS of 1.1 GB, and still does now that the scan is finished.  It peaked at 1.11 GB and peak virtual memory use was 1.41 GB.   It's a hell of a lot for a process that's supposedly only doing the user-facing stuff.   When I was watching the scan running, near the end, a2service - the bit that as far as I know is actually doing the work - was using around 770 MB.   I don't understand how a2start can be using more memory then the scanner itself.

Thanks for your feedback.
We are investigating this already.