Peter Nowell

version of EEK is Windows 8

Although the download site at Emsisoft says this is for Window 10, when I install an check compatibility is is only up to Widows 8.

Please explain. I wrote before but the answer was,  " I don't understand that Windows version."

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the Emsisoft Support Forums.

What is the version # of EEK that you are using?

16 hours ago, Peter Nowell said:

Although the download site at Emsisoft says this is for Window 10, when I install an check compatibility is is only up to Widows 8.

Please explain. I wrote before but the answer was,  " I don't understand that Windows version."

Emsisoft Emergency Kit is compatible with Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 with at least feature update 1903 installed. If your Windows 10 installation is not up to date, then you may have problems running EEK.

Note: EEK and our other products are not officially supported on Windows 8. If you are using Windows 8, then please update to Windows 8.1 and be sure to install Windows Updates afterwards.

I installed the EEK only to find out it is compatible up to Windows 8.

Can I run t with Windows 10 with no issues?

Btw, sorry for double posting, I had forgotten.

On 6/27/2020 at 4:28 AM, GT500 said:

Emsisoft Emergency Kit is compatible with Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 with at least feature update 1903 installed. If your Windows 10 installation is not up to date, then you may have problems running EEK.

Note: EEK and our other products are not officially supported on Windows 8. If you are using Windows 8, then please update to Windows 8.1 and be sure to install Windows Updates afterwards.

I have windows 10 installed and up to date. After the free installation of EEK compatibility says 8.

11 hours ago, Peter Nowell said:

I have windows 10 installed and up to date. After the free installation of EEK compatibility says 8.

Our software is not compatible with Windows 8. We dropped all support for Windows 8 a couple of years ago.

Could you take a screenshot of the message you're seeing, and post it here? You can paste it right into the reply field.

On 7/3/2020 at 1:04 AM, GT500 said:

Our software is not compatible with Windows 8. We dropped all support for Windows 8 a couple of years ago.

Could you take a screenshot of the message you're seeing, and post it here? You can paste it right into the reply field.

I  would have to reinstall EEK to a flash drive then click compatibility under properties. It was pointed out to me by some one who took control of my machine or I would not have noticed it.

Do as I did and you will see the compatibility is not Windows 10. It goes as high as 8 so is not compatible; that is why I removed it.

I run 19041.329 which is the build for Windows 10 2004. All is updated.

I am using Avira's flash drive to support Defender and F-secure in a flash drive also. Both are on demand of course. I opted out of MBAM making Defender the on Demand which I did not care for.

I used Defender with MBAM for years until the merger. That necessitated other  on demand scanners.

I think the software guys at Emsisoft over looked the compatibility of the EEK.

I used the free version .  Perhaps that makes a difference although I doubt it as my download was from your link.

I will try yo make the time to replicate my installation so I can post a pik here. I am busy at the moment.

11 minutes ago, Peter Nowell said:

I used the free version .  Perhaps that makes a difference although I doubt it as my download was from your link.

I will try yo make the time to replicate my installation so I can post a pik here. I am busy at the moment.

I also use the free version :)

Is this what you are talking about?

If it is then that is because you are using Windows 10 and it doesn't need to say Windows 10.

All program installers (not just EEK) look like that.

Annotation 2020-07-04 163219.jpg
Download Image

• Thanks 1

Yes, I appreciate all the work you went though to show me I was incorrect. Thank you. I will reinstall it in my flash drive.

What is the function or purpose of that compatibility feature if it appears to be incompatible.

I don't think you were incorrect, I just think you'd didn't know about how it works :)

Notice that compatibility mode offers many choices ranging from Windows 95 up to Windows 8. Also notice that you can even choose to run your program in compatibility mode for different service packs of the same operating system.

Note that in Windows 10, there is a new option called Compatibility Troubleshooter, which will scan the program for you and try to figure out the best settings automatically

Taken from here, have a little read.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-7/run-old-programs-in-64-bit-windows-7-with-compatibility-mode-options/

• Thanks 1