JeremyNicoll

Control of FileGuard and scans by file extension

While looking more closely at logs from recent custom scans, I noticed that the line that they used to contain:

File extension filter: Off      (or On)

vanished from those log files sometime in April, in fact when EAM v 2020.5 came along (released in beta, in April; general release early May).

Exploring now, I can't find any settings in Custom Scan, or File Guard or anywhere else for extension-specific logic.  The release blurb for v 2020.5: https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/36082/new-in-2020-5-local-only-local-remote-or-remote-only-security-management/  seems to have been completely silent on this loss of control, unless you think that "Cleanup of redundant settings." is an adequate description.

Is this level of control gone for good?

Do File Guard and/or Custom Scan now look at every kind of file?  Or is there a changing definition (that we can't see) of which files get looked at / guarded?

On 7/5/2020 at 10:03 AM, JeremyNicoll said:

Is this level of control gone for good?

Yes. The scanning engine makes its own decisions about what file types should be included in scans, and doesn't need the extension filter anymore.

On the whole, with a fastish machine, and only SSDs in it, these days I have little interest in excluding any files from a scan.   Is there no way to force EAM to look at everything?  

I could imagine though that someone with a slower machine, and spinning-rust, would have an altogether different point of view.

15 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Is there no way to force EAM to look at everything?

Not anymore. The scanning engine is no longer designed to function that way.

12 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

@GT500  - These help pages (and maybe others) mention  file extensions and need updated.   QA, or someone, needs to review help pages every time you change your products.

See: https://help.emsisoft.com/en/1639/file-guard/   and  https://help.emsisoft.com/en/1624/custom-scan/

Thanks. I've informed QA.

1 minute ago, JeremyNicoll said:

But article dates have not.

I think the KB just always shows the original publication date.

2 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

And the linked article from the FG page has not.

That's a pretty old blog article. I'll pass that on and see what we want to do about it.