Silvercloak

White Screen on Start Up

Recommended Posts

I just started getting this a few days ago.  I can't seem to restore the window to it's original size at all.  Everytime I start up my machine, as soon as Emsisoft loads in, I get a huge white screen and have to open and then close emsisoft to get it to normal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you give a bit more info such as your operating system, screen size, and build of EAM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Silvercloak said:

I just started getting this a few days ago.  I can't seem to restore the window to it's original size at all.  Everytime I start up my machine, as soon as Emsisoft loads in, I get a huge white screen and have to open and then close emsisoft to get it to normal.

This issue happens when the Emsisoft Anti-Malware windows is maximized, then closed, and then the computer is restarted. If you open Emsisoft Anti-Malware and restore the window to its original size, then this shouldn't happen the next time you restart your computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Silvercloak said:

As i said, I can't restore it.  It remains maximized no matter what i do.

What screen size scaling do you have for your machine? Also what is your display resolution.

Default, 125% or bigger?

(Start ..settings..display... scale and layout.)

Are you using Windows 10?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And also... have you changed the physical screen (if it's a desktop machine) or had a second screen connected - something that is bigger (resolution) than the screen now in use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Silvercloak said:

As i said, I can't restore it.  It remains maximized no matter what i do.

After opening the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window, can you drag the edges of the window to make it smaller? If you can restore the window to its original size and then close it with the X button in the upper-right corner, then the next time you restart your computer the issue shouldn't happen again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup I think that did it.  Also I DO alternate between a TV and a monitor, so that might have had something to do with it.  Thanks!  Sorry for the delay - I was out of town for a few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad to hear that fixed it. If you need anything else, then please let us know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@GT500   Where does EAM store window position co-ordinates and size between uses?    Is there a Windows API call that can tell a program the maximum extent of the desktop's display area? 

I know that if one uses multiple screens, especially if they are not all of the same resolution, that the visible desktop won't be a simple rectangle.  (For example - even using two screens with the same  resolution - one might arrange a portrait mode screen next to a landscape one, with neither the top nor bottom edge of the portrait screen pixel-aligned with the top or bottom of the landscape one.)  

And I also know that as far as Windows is concerned there are windows plotted on off-screen areas of the desktop often/always - users usually don't know that but these "invisible windows" can eg be the "parent" for all of an app's user windows, and some functions - eg shortcut key processing - might logically be associated with those windows, so that even if a user has no visible windows on-screen the application can behave as if there is one.   

So, working out which bits of the desktop can have a single rectangular window placed on them so it's entirely visible to the user maybe isn't quite as simple as one might think.  (It could eg be partly on one screen and partly another.)

Even so, surely EAM can be made intelligent enough never to place its startup window somewhere where it's not entirely visible - even if that means simply choosing one screen (ideally the 'primary' one) and plotting it there, at less than full-screen size.

Alternatively, if the coordinates are somewhere accessible - a settings file or registry key? - could some simple edit or something reset them to a sensible value?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Where does EAM store window position co-ordinates and size between uses?

In a2settings.ini however we reserve asking someone to edit that file until we feel there's no other option.

 

13 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Is there a Windows API call that can tell a program the maximum extent of the desktop's display area?

As far as I know there are more than one (probably a GDI API and one or more DirectX API's). How those are called, and which one is called, depends on the programming language and any UI frameworks in use.

 

13 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Even so, surely EAM can be made intelligent enough never to place its startup window somewhere where it's not entirely visible - even if that means simply choosing one screen (ideally the 'primary' one) and plotting it there, at less than full-screen size.

The issue in this topic is a bug that is triggered when the EAM window is maximized, then closed, and then the computer is restarted. It isn't related to issues you've experienced with the EAM window appearing off the screen. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> It isn't related to issues you've experienced with the EAM window appearing off the screen.

I have had no such issues.

If you're saying the issue isn't to do with the position that EAM is placing the window at, nor its size, then why are you suggesting things like users reducing the window or changing its extent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

I have had no such issues.

I was probably thinking of the issues you had reported in the past with the EAM window being impossible to drag when partially outside the visible screen space and the UI displays a dialog.

 

18 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

If you're saying the issue isn't to do with the position that EAM is placing the window at, nor its size, then why are you suggesting things like users reducing the window or changing its extent?

The actual bug causing the issue is in something completely unrelated to window size and position. The white screen on startup is actually just a weird side effect of the bug that happens when the EAM window is closed while maximized (as far as we know window position doesn't trigger it) and then the computer is restarted without the EAM window being restored to its original size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> I was probably thinking of the issues you had reported in the past with the EAM window being impossible to drag when partially outside the visible screen space and the UI displays a dialog.

Oops, yes, you're right.  I'd forgotten about that problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.