Internet Explorer is a keylogger?

qwerty

OA has started saying that Internet Explorer 8 is a keylogger, and do I want to allow this? If I say to block, then IE won't load.

I've just tried deleting iexplore.exe from the program list and after that, the next time I ran IE, Online Armor said it was automatically trusted.

Is IE a keylogger, or is it a false positive?

Thank you.

Online Armor's keylogger detection is behaviour based, not signature based so it doesn't have false postives. It's simply detecting the behaviour it observes for that program. It doesn't mean the program is a keylogger, as legitimate programs can use the same techniques as keyloggers for legitimate reasons related to program functions. You can read more about this here http://www.online-armor.com/webhelp3/KF-KL.html

When responding to keylogger popups you need to consider the context of the alert. If you recognise the program and know it's legitimate (from a trustworthy vendor or downloaded from trustworthy website and not some crack site) then you should Allow it and preferably just Trust the program to avoid unnecessary alerts like this in future. IE for example, is a trusted program. I'm assuming you have untrusted it because keylogger alerts are suppressed for trusted programs. If you were just browsing the internet and suddenly got a keylogger alert out of the blue for an unrelated program, then it might be cause for concern.

When responding to keylogger popups you need to consider the context of the alert. If you recognise the program and know it's legitimate (from a trustworthy vendor or downloaded from trustworthy website and not some crack site) then you should Allow it and preferably just Trust the program to avoid unnecessary alerts like this in future. IE for example, is a trusted program. I'm assuming you have untrusted it because keylogger alerts are suppressed for trusted programs. If you were just browsing the internet and suddenly got a keylogger alert out of the blue for an unrelated program, then it might be cause for concern.

I think I know the series of events now. Earlier, I had replaced the iexplore.exe file with another program as a means of testing the firewall. When I then tried to run it, OA immediately noticed that the file had changed (as you would hope) and asked me if I wanted to allow it (to run, I think. If I had said yes, would it have also asked me if this new program could access the internet?) Because I said no, presumeably, that then set the program to "Untrusted", even after I had put the original iexplore.exe back.

Does that sound correct?