Why notifications of updates matter

a prime example is yesterday my explore kept hanging and crashing i could not figure out why until a review of loggs I discovered  as of yesterday Open-Shell/ classic shell was being detected as a code injecter keeping in mind the code base has not changed since 2018 its currently under review in FP however i know it is one and had i seen the update notification would have saved me a big troublrdhooting headache 

As one of the people not pleased when update notifications ceased, I sort-of agree... but if your Open-Shell/classic shell application started crashing surely that means that you have, or had, EAM set up to quarantine suspected executable code, and - worse - had it set to quarantine the items silently?   This sort of thing is why I never run EAM in that way.  I just have it alert me that it thinks some program is dodgy, whereupon /I/ make the decision about what to do about it, if anything.

What you're actually complaining about is a consequence of using default settings - that /if/ EAM thinks a file is dodgy it immediately quarantines it.  That's sensible for users who want to minimise risk.  But it has drawbacks, which is that applications that depend on those files will crash.  (Another typical problem is if an email in a mail-client's files is suddenly deemed infected, the whole file can be removed, rather than just the infected section... which can cause email clients to crash, or try to refetch every single mail, or whatever.)

I was not suggesting that you turn off any of the scans, but instead change what they will do when they find a dubious file.   For example with PUPs (which are always subjective anyway because one person's PUP is another person's vital programming utility) you have a four-way choice about what EAM should do when one of those is detected.

Whether you've used Open-Shell on other PCs or for years is irrelevant.  Any anti-malware application can at any time decide, correctly or not, that a file is dubious.  The probem for you as a user is how you balance safety (having possibly dubious files quarantined immediately) versus the problems that that action will cause you.

Default settings do not suit everybody.   The point is you need to make an informed, responsible choice about which EAM settings suit you best.

> problem is...

Do they?   I'm pretty sure we'd have noticed.

There are some settings that I used to change by accident - eg on some of the notifications I'd accidentally click on "don't show this again" rather than the "X" to dismiss the pane.  Now, I check around once per week that all the notification settings are as I want them to be.

15 hours ago, MJmusicguy said:

a prime example is yesterday my explore kept hanging and crashing i could not figure out why until a review of loggs I discovered  as of yesterday Open-Shell/ classic shell was being detected as a code injecter keeping in mind the code base has not changed since 2018 its currently under review in FP however i know it is one and had i seen the update notification would have saved me a big troublrdhooting headache 

You mean the Behavior Blocker was flagging it? Due to its rating on the Anti-Malware Network? Those ratings aren't influenced by product or database updates.

BTW: Just to be sure everyone is on the same page, my role here isn't one of deciding what features should or shouldn't be in our products. I'm here to help our users with issues they encounter, and explain how our products and services work. While those who make product design decisions do at least occasionally read topics here, I'm generally the one who replies, and I can usually only offer a short explanation as to why we've made a specific change to a product. Of course when there's feedback to pass on to those who make the decisions I certainly do so, and I have already done so with this topic, however since I have no part in making the decisions I can't say whether or not we may change our minds at some point in the future, especially since we don't like to give out that kind of information until there's a public beta for everyone to try that has the changes in it (we don't like to say we'll do something and then disappoint everyone by not doing it or failing to meet an expected ETA).

I'm only saying this due to this being a popular topic to bring up on the forums, and I know everyone is tired of me giving the same boring response to it over and over again. I just want to make sure everyone knows why my responses are the way they are, and hopefully avoid annoying anyone too much over this.