marko

Pause Protection query

I just paused protection for 60 minutes via the EAM tray icon right-click menu, then rebooted, and the protection enabled itself even though 60 minutes hadn't elapsed - is this how it should behave ?

17 minutes ago, marko said:

I just paused protection for 60 minutes via the EAM tray icon right-click menu, then rebooted, and the protection enabled itself even though 60 minutes hadn't elapsed - is this how it should behave ?

Just guessing here Marko, but that is how I would expect it to behave. A new Windows session starts everything over again ?

1 minute ago, stapp said:

Just guessing here Marko, but that is how I would expect it to behave. A new Windows session starts everything over again ?

well I wouldn't Stapp - I'd expect it to pause for 60 minutes and stay that way if I reboot, until 60 minutes has elapsed - if I wanted it to pause until reboot, I'd use that option instead.

I also notice now that Shut Down Protection re-enables itself after reboot as well - has it always been like this ?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, marko said:

I'd expect it to pause for 60 minutes and stay that way if I reboot, until 60 minutes has elapsed - if I wanted it to pause until reboot, I'd use that option instead.

Didn't pick that up when I read your post. Good point.

Actually having Disable for both the 'Pause' option and the 'Protection Status' is confusing. It should say Pause for 10 minutes etc.

2 minutes ago, stapp said:

Actually having Disable for both the 'Pause' option and the 'Protection Status' is confusing. It should say Pause for 10 minutes etc.

Yes I agree, although that's a minor cosmetic issue.

The problem I have is that if I want to pause, or disable, EAM while I install some software (or drivers) that require a reboot during the installation process, there doesn't seem any way to do that because EAM re-enables the protection during reboot.

25 minutes ago, marko said:

Yes I agree, although that's a minor cosmetic issue.

The problem I have is that if I want to pause, or disable, EAM while I install some software (or drivers) that require a reboot during the installation process, there doesn't seem any way to do that because EAM re-enables the protection during reboot.

Does it make any difference if you untick Start on Windows Start Up in Advanced Settings?

Does it make any difference if you untick Start on Windows Start Up in Advanced Settings?

that would undoubtedly work but surely we shouldn't have to do that ?

another option would be to uninstall EAM, install some drivers, and then reinstall EAM 😁

maybe I'm getting senile, but I'm sure EAM protection used to stay disabled following a reboot if we'd chosen to disable it ?

I'm sure the devs will let us know :) 

(welcome to the senile club !!)

thanks, I think I've been a member of that club for ages 😁

will wait and see what the devs have to say - thanks for your input

On 8/8/2020 at 7:01 AM, marko said:

maybe I'm getting senile, but I'm sure EAM protection used to stay disabled following a reboot if we'd chosen to disable it ?

If you disable it, then yes. If you just pause it, then no.

You can disable it under Protection status, just keep in mind that it needs to be manually turned back on.

1 hour ago, GT500 said:

If you disable it, then yes. If you just pause it, then no.

You can disable it under Protection status, just keep in mind that it needs to be manually turned back on.

thanks, I don''t know why I didn't try that option, but that's the one I was looking for

so to confirm, the disable options under Protection Status will disable some or all protection for the current and future sessions until the user manually turns them back on, and the pause options and the shut down protection option only persist for the current session.

as Stapp says, the pause protection options should say Pause for 10 mins, etc, rather than Disable for 10 mins, etc, given that there''s a clear distinction between them

22 hours ago, marko said:

so to confirm, the disable options under Protection Status will disable some or all protection for the current and future sessions until the user manually turns them back on, and the pause options and the shut down protection option only persist for the current session.

That should be correct.

22 hours ago, marko said:

as Stapp says, the pause protection options should say Pause for 10 mins, etc, rather than Disable for 10 mins, etc, given that there''s a clear distinction between them

I think it's named that way to make it clear that protection will indeed be turned off while paused.