Sign in to follow this  
packerman

Emisoft causing game to crash

Hi. I keep trying to play Star Wars Squadrons.  The game crashes. This is from the error log.

Faulting application name: starwarssquadrons.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f6ab553
Faulting module name: a2hooks64.dll, version: 2019.2.0.1903, time stamp: 0x5c73ce46
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000003d15
Faulting process id: 0x4144

I also notice when I shut down protection I noticed it is still running services in the background. Why does this product constantly flag games? This isn't the first time I've had this issue with a game or app. It constantly flags false positive items that it shouldn't.

10 hours ago, packerman said:

Why does this product constantly flag games?

Game developers and publishers do not normally digitally sign their binaries, and since they tend to update them frequently these days it's difficult to keep them whitelisted so that they won't be detected.

My recommendation in the case of crashes is to add the folder the game is launching from to the exclusions for scanning and monitoring in Emsisoft Anti-Malware, which will prevent Emsisoft Anti-Malware from opening hooks to the game while it's running. You can find Steam and Origin games in the following folders by default:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\

Here are instructions on excluding a folder from scanning and monitoring:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click on Exclusions in the menu at the top.
  4. The exclusions section contains two lists (Exclude from scanning and Exclude from monitoring). Look for the box right under where it says Exclude from scanning.
  5. Click on the Add folder button right below the Exclude from scanning box.
  6. Navigate to the folder you would like to exclude, click on it once to select it, and then click OK.
  7. Scroll down to the box under Exclude from monitoring and click the Add folder button right below that box.
  8. Navigate to the folder you would like to exclude, click on it once to select it, and then click OK.
  9. Close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Note: If a program is still running when you exclude its folder, then you will need to close it and reopen it for the exclusion to fully take effect. In some cases (such as for programs that run on startup) you will need to restart your computer before this will happen, however a restart is not normally needed for games.