Sign in to follow this  
emisofter

OA++ conflicts with VMware Workstation 7.1.3

Cannot start any virtual machine, it seems OA++ conflicts with VMware Workstation.

I get this error message:

Could not get vmci driver version: The handle is invalid.

You have an incorrect version of driver "vmci.sys". Try reinstalling VMware Workstation.

Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.

I did try to reinstall vmware. vmci.sys is marked as trusted by OA program guard.

Any suggestions?

You have a 64bit O/S? I recall a few others with 64bit reported this problem with 4.5.1.431. One of them found that setting "vmci0.present = "false" in the .vmx file solved it for them so you might try that :)

• Upvote 1

Pity, but as it has just turned out to me, this does NOT solve the problem: networking is absolutely NOT possible in virtual machines and VMware cannot connect any virtual machine's network adapter to any vmware virtual network adapter :(:angry::(

But this feature is an absolute must-have for me!! So either a supporter offers me a solution or I would have to totally uninstall OA++ and stop using it any more :(:angry::(

Are you using bridged networking?

No. I mostly use Host-only or NAT networking in virtual machines. Now I have to 'Close and shutdown' OA++ to do work with v-machines

Dear catprincess, thank you for your support, disabling Web Shield didn't help, and besides I do not want to disable any OA++ features permanently. And yet I do not want to uninstall OA either. So for now I've decided to 'Close and shutdown' OA++ every time when I need to work with VMware virtual machines. (thank God, I am always behind a hardware router (my adsl modem), so I can afford to switch firewall off if I have to)

I have a similar "VMware-Kerio control" conflict at my workplace (no bridged networking only, other's working).

Thank God, OA++ does not conflict with Kerio VPN client which I constantly use here at home!

Are your VMWare adapters set to Trusted under Firewall -> Interfaces? Have you turned on firewall logging for blocked events and checked the firewall log to see what specifically is being blocked?

Are your VMWare adapters set to Trusted under Firewall -> Interfaces?

Yes, they are

Have you turned on firewall logging for blocked events and checked the firewall log to see what specifically is being blocked?

No I haven't, later at home I'll try to log, but it seems to me OA++ will not log any blocked events in this case because VMware-OA++ conflict lies somewhere in a deeper plane :( So "officially" OA might not block anything of VMWare components but they still cannot work together :(

Have you turned on firewall logging for blocked events and checked the firewall log to see what specifically is being blocked?

As I had expected, the only thing that OA told me when I tried to start a v-machine is this:

Firewall: Automatic decision,09.03.2011 18:04:45,Allowed,"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-authd.exe, Outgoing TCP access allowed to: 127.0.0.1:1053"

So OA does not report any blocked event when try to start a vmware v-machine. And still VMware can not start any machine saying:

You have an incorrect version of driver "vmci.sys". Try reinstalling VMware Workstation.

Hi all

I am having the same problem with Win7 64 bit. Running latest version of OA++ (downloaded this morning 7th April 2011) VM Workstation starts just fine but when I try to resume my suspended machine, I get the vmci.sys error.

I have made sure that Firewall is trusting the VM network adaptors, I have turned on debug and logging (in the options TAB, I left default logging level as blocked), though I do not see any blocked entries in the history TAB as a result of trying to start my VM. Is this where the logging info would show up.

I search for logging in the online help (just expanded all topics and did CTL+F) to search for logging but did not find anything.

I notice this thread has been quiet for a while but the problem does not seem to be solved!

Thanks

Derek

Are your VMWare adapters set to Trusted under Firewall -> Interfaces? Have you turned on firewall logging for blocked events and checked the firewall log to see what specifically is being blocked?

In windows 7 x64, only in the Start menu, right with administrator privileges to run properly, but not directly in the lower right corner of the taskbar double-click its icon to run directly. I want to be VM Online Armor reduces errors caused by permissions.

In its firewall test (op, za, co, etc.) did not find such problems, it is recommended to update the corresponding official rules.

Hi catprinces,

Nope I had not tried that as you had previously suggested it in an earlier post and the person came back saying it disabled thier networking.

Nonetheless I have tried it now, and not only did I get a message as the VM started up saying the NIC could not be attached (or something to that effect) it also informed me that the CD/DVD player could not be found.

Furthermore, the VM then took a very long time (compared to normal) to start.

I have logged into the machine and can confirm I now have no network connections. So this solution though perhaps viable for some, certainly does not work for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

A emsisoft staff member also suggested that I exclude the VM program folder from OA protection which I did as well as excluding the VM machine files folder but it did not help either.

Also I tried turning off the firewall and program protection options and it still did not work. The only thing that seems to work is it exit OA.

Is this only a problem in win7 64 bit? what about win7 32 bit? does anyone know.

Emsisoft presumably this is affecting all 64 bit win 7 users that require their VM to have network access. Is there a fix in the works?

Thanks again

Derek

Emsisoft presumably this is affecting all 64 bit win 7 users that require their VM to have network access. Is there a fix in the works?

I tried to reproduce it several times. I personally use Windows 7 x64, VMWare Workstation 7.1 and Online Armor 5.0 and my VMs worked fine and without any configuration tricks. So unless we are able to somehow reproduce it a fix is highly unlikely.

I tried to reproduce it several times. I personally use Windows 7 x64, VMWare Workstation 7.1 and Online Armor 5.0 and my VMs worked fine and without any configuration tricks. So unless we are able to somehow reproduce it a fix is highly unlikely.

Hi Fabian,

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1

VMware Workstation 7.1.4 build 385536

My VMware network adaptors are bridged.

Online Armor 5.0.0.1097

What VM networking are you using perhaps that is differnt. Are the other specs the same?

Would it perhaps depened on the order in which I installed OA and VM-workstation? From memory I installed VM-workstation first.

Also the actual VM machine I am trying to load was created from my previous windows vista 32 bit physical machine using VMware conversion utility.

Thanks

Derek

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1

VMware Workstation 7.1.4 build 385536

My VMware network adaptors are bridged.

Online Armor 5.0.0.1097

I am using the exact same configuration except I use NAT and host-only networks. I will try a few bridged network configuration to see if that causes the same problems that you are experiencing.

I am using the exact same configuration except I use NAT and host-only networks. I will try a few bridged network configuration to see if that causes the same problems that you are experiencing.

Hi Fabian,

Just a little update.

When I switched to using NAT on the WM all works, well mostly. I no longer get the error and I can connect my VM to my local network and the internet. But unfortunately for some reason I cannot connect to my NAS via a mapped drive setting. Probably something to do with my NAS set up and I cannot remember it's password ;-) with luck I will track it down. Still I can live without this for a while.

But it would be great if you guys were able replicate the bridged network issue and then fix it at some point.

Thanks

Derek

Hi Fabian,

Have you had a chance to try bridged networking to see if you get the same problems? I cannot continue using NAT due to the problems I have accessing my NAS and anyways I even got this problem occasionally with NAT networking.

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of OA this morning. I have double and triple checked that all VM related stuff in OA is allowed. (at least every thing I can find)

So at the moment I keep having to shut down OA and given that I use the VM all the time this means my primary machine is not protected. Good job my router has a firewall (though I don't know how good it is)

Thanks

Derek

Fabian Wosar, I simply have no idea why you cannot reproduce it!! :o

Now I have the latest versions of both OA++ (5.0.0.1097) and VMware Workstation 7.1.4 build-385536 and also windows server 2008R2 Sp1 64-bit (same on Win7 sp1 64-bit). And the bug STILL EXISTs!!!! Whenever I try to start a virtual machine I do always have this error message:

You have a 64bit O/S? I recall a few others with 64bit reported this problem with 4.5.1.431. One of them found that setting "vmci0.present = "false" in the .vmx file solved it for them so you might try that smile.gif

thank you very much

that solved my problem on windows 7 pro...