marko

EAM gui - missing text and buttons after context menu scan

Since EAM updated to 2020.10.0.10440, when I scan a file or folder on my desktop via the right-click context menu, EAM quite often doesn't draw the View Report and Close buttons on the Scan Results page when the scan has finished, nor does it draw the new 'No suspicious files were found in this scan' text.

Sometimes it'll draw the buttons but not the new text.

It will only draw these buttons and text when I move the mouse cursor over the EAM gui.

This happens on both my pcs - they're both running W10 Home 64 v2004 build 19041.508 - screen resolution on one pc is 1920x1080, the other is 1366x768.

This doesn't happen every time, but more often than not - screenshots showing successive scans attached.

missing text.jpg
Download Image

text shown.jpg
Download Image

Edited by marko
typo

Confirmed here.

I right-clicked on an item to do a context menu scan.

I immediately moved my cursor away from the GUI while it did the scan.

''No suspicious files found'' does not appear in the GUI window after the scan until I place my cursor inside the GUI.

With Win 8.1, I'm seeing the same as Stapp.  The GUI at the end of the scan [at least on the four separate scans I've tried this with] does contain the View Report and Close buttons, but the green "No suspicious files" text is not displayed until the mouse pointer enters the GUI window.

During testing I noticed this happen when my mouse was outside of the virtual machine window where the scan was running, and when I moved my mouse back into the window and it hovered over the EAM UI the buttons suddenly appeared. Does attempting to interact with the EAM UI when this happens cause the buttons to appear for you as well?

5 minutes ago, GT500 said:

During testing I noticed this happen when my mouse was outside of the virtual machine window where the scan was running, and when I moved my mouse back into the window and it hovered over the EAM UI the buttons suddenly appeared. Does attempting to interact with the EAM UI when this happens cause the buttons to appear for you as well?

Not quite following what you are doing (I think mentioning the VM has confused me --not difficult!)

For me it is just the text on scan end that is missing until I place cursor/mouse in the window. The buttons are always there. (dark mode used for GUI)

1 minute ago, stapp said:

Not quite following what you are doing (I think mentioning the VM has confused me --not difficult!)

For me it is just the text on scan end that is missing until I place cursor/mouse in the window. The buttons are always there. (dark mode used for GUI)

I have various versions of Windows installed in Virtual Machines (VM's) so that I can test in different Operating Systems with only one computer, and when we release a new beta of EAM at the end of the month I do some basic tests to make sure that the update to the new version and scans at the very least all work as expected on each version of Windows I have installed. Since the VM's run in a window on my Desktop, I can move my mouse out of the VM and then back in when I need to interact with something running in it. When I saw this issue, my mouse was outside of the VM window, and since I corrected itself as soon as I moved the mouse back into the VM window I just assumed it was related to my mouse pointer being outside of the VM window.

@marko mentions that he gets the buttons issue that you mention, but not every time. However, like us, he gets the missing text each time.

11 minutes ago, stapp said:

@marko mentions that he gets the buttons issue that you mention, but not every time. However, like us, he gets the missing text each time.

The missing text happened to me when the buttons were missing. I'll do some testing to see how easy this is to reproduce.

I ran a couple of dozen context menu scans, and while every now and then the green text "No suspicious files were found in this scan!" would occasionally fail to appear, the buttons "View report" and "Close" were always there. Also, when I would move the mouse into the EAM window, the missing text would suddenly appear.

I'll let QA know, but they'll probably want debug logs from someone having the issue with the buttons disappearing. @marko do you remember how to get debug logs?

42 minutes ago, GT500 said:

@marko do you remember how to get debug logs?

haha, yeah, just about 😁

ok, so I scanned a single file on my desktop via right-click menu at 07:22:27 and it finished the scan at 07:22:28 according to the forensic log - I left the mouse cursor outside of the EAM gui and didn't move it for five minutes.

The EAM gui showed the scan as completed, but the two buttons and the new green text were not displayed in the gui (as per my screenshot in the OP above).

I then moved the mouse cursor over the EAM gui at 07:29 and the two buttons and the green text magically appeared.

Debug logs for this are attached - as usual, when I disabled debug logging a few minutes later, a2service crashed, but that's an old chestnut and not relevant to this thread.

EAM Debug Logs.7z

Thanks! I've forwarded this to QA, and they're able to reproduce the issue, so hopefully we won't need any more info from anyone.

11 hours ago, stapp said:

Seems to be fixed for me using beta 10501

Yes, I just got done testing our third beta of 2020.11 about an hour ago, and the issue didn't happen a single time on any of the Operating Systems I tested on. Hopefully we can publish a stable update with the fix here soon.

12 hours ago, marko said:

It seems to be fixed for me now in 2020.11.0.10501 stable release.

Awesome, thanks for letting us know.