Sign in to follow this  
kennyz

Where are the hosts I added?

Using Emsisoft anti-malware 5.1.0.4

I found the excellent website http://www.malwaredomains.com/ and wanted to add their latest domains to my hosts rules via "Guard - Host Rules - Import Hosts". I verified that one of the hosts on the very latest reports file was accessible in my browser, then imported the "justdomains" file. It appeared to work, and in fact I am now getting the popup warning and am being blocked. I have two questions.

1) Would you consider adding the information on this site automatically to your updates!?

2) Why are the hosts that I added not showing up in the Host Rules table? Again, the rules seem to be working .. but unless I go back into the import hosts dialog, I do not see them. Am I wrong to expect to be able to see them in the Host Rules table?

With all regard to your wonderful product, I am yours truly

KennyZ

Hi KennyZ, welcome to the forum

Why are the hosts that I added not showing up in the Host Rules table? Again, the rules seem to be working .. but unless I go back into the import hosts dialog, I do not see them. Am I wrong to expect to be able to see them in the Host Rules table?

No, you are right :) You cannot see either internal block list or hpHosts files entries including those that were imported in that table.

Under the Guard > Host Rules Tab you will see all related rules that were created (added by you)/edited in that area.

{added} you can find all imported entries in a2user.dat ("Open with" text editor)

Would you consider adding the information on this site automatically to your updates!?

I hope the developers will answer this question,

but as it stands currently and stated at the site you referred to

... malware block lists provided here are for free for noncommercial use as part of the fight against malware. Any use of this list commercially is strictly prohibited without prior approval.

a side note:

I'm not sure whether adding big lists of entries to the internal hosts management or to any 3rd party Host management of system host file would be preferable method meaning those disadvantages/problems including using huge hosts file/merged hosts files etc. Actually, that's described here

My regards

You are welcome, KennyZ

You can consider several additional layers of security regarding the matter

1st, have a look at free DNS services ... e.g: Open DNS and alike.

The default settings are quite sufficient, but you have to choose one

Not all will work as fast as you expect. It depends.

I'm sure you'll get that from info supplied and from your own testing.

Plus have a look at the customization features of the said services and choose the one you prefer.

There is a list of other layers of security related to the issue you've raised, and you can add those as well (out of scope here)

Cheers!