Cannot Register License

I bought a new license several hours ago, went to myemisosft.com to register etc, firstly, I could not find my new license, not in email, not in program gui, finally after messing around in the console for 15 minutes I found it. However, console shows old license only that expired in 2019, tried to add new license and could not, said it was already registered to another account. I really despise this cloud console, to me it just adds more complexity, more steps, than are needed. Why does the average user even need this?  Help please.

If you already have a MyEmsisoft account, and enter the same e-mail address used for the account when purchasing, then I would believe that it automatically registers it to the account. It may add it as a new workspace, however I would have to confirm with our sales team (I don't think I have a way to quickly test that).

12 minutes ago, digmor crusher said:

Nope, cannot find the setting he mentions to remove the Workspace.  Why do we even need this headache?? 

I think you have to select the Workspace name itself to be able to get to the settings - see screenshot from help guide

image.png.59fc12efc0cb5d8bbbd7cf3e7c214a0c.png

Out of interest, did you create the workspace yourself or was it automaticlly created for you when you bought the licence (as GT500 sort of  suggests might happen in his post above) ?

Ok thanks, I found Settings, for me to delete the workspace I have to " Remove All Devices" not going to happen, there is no way this should be this complicated, the average Joe would be totally lost. I could figure it out but couldn't be bothered. As long as the AV works I have no desire to ever log into the console again.

36 minutes ago, digmor crusher said:

Ok thanks, I found Settings, for me to delete the workspace I have to " Remove All Devices" not going to happen, there is no way this should be this complicated, the average Joe would be totally lost. I could figure it out but couldn't be bothered. As long as the AV works I have no desire to ever log into the console again.

yeah I don't blame you and I agree that it's way too complicated now - fine for corporate users with loads of devices but overkill for the average home user.   It used to be so easy - buy the licence, install the software, enter the key and away you go.

Now we're forced to login to myEmsisoft whenever we install the software, we're forced to subscribe to auto-renewal when buying or renewing a licence, and maybe now they're also forcing us to use workspaces by default ?

40 minutes ago, digmor crusher said:

Heh, heh, first thing I did. And while I'm on a roll, auto-renewal should be opt-in not opt-out. Opt-out IMO is a bit shady.

yeah, I agree, definitely should be opt-in - it's been discussed/moaned about at length here before but I can't see it changing.

you didn't say whether you created the workspace yourself or whether it seems to have automatically created itself - would be interesting to know if this is being foisted on us as well

On 11/26/2020 at 10:33 AM, digmor crusher said:

New license shows under Workspaces, does not show under Personal Licenses.

I've verified that new license keys are added as workspaces automatically. You should have received an e-mail explaining this. Please let us know if you didn't, or if there was anything specific about the e-mail that didn't make sense.

The workspace that your new license is assigned to is named "******************".

On 11/26/2020 at 10:33 AM, digmor crusher said:

Still cannot register new license.

This is because it is already associated with your account.

On 11/26/2020 at 1:38 PM, digmor crusher said:

Yup, agree 100%, it should be easy enough for anyone to figure out. This may affect whether I choose to renew in a year.

We're moving away from using license keys, and in order to activate EAM customers will need to log in using their MyEmsisoft account and select the workspace that contains the license they want to use with that device. Our Sales Team is going to discuss ways of simplifying things and better explaining them in the e-mail customers receive after purchase, that way customers have an easier time using and managing their licenses. If anyone has any suggestions for ways that workspaces could be easier to use, then please let us know.

Edited by GT500
Removed workspace name by user's request.

This is what the email said, not that informative. (See attachment.)

If I click on Personal Licenses it only shows my old license that expired in 2019.

My suggestion " buy the license, install the software, enter the key and away you go." Why do home users need a work space, I guess for users with multiple licenses or corporate but for the rest of us its way overboard.

Screenshot 2020-11-26 141936.jpg

On 11/26/2020 at 3:25 PM, digmor crusher said:

My suggestion " buy the license, install the software, enter the key and away you go." Why do home users need a work space, I guess for users with multiple licenses or corporate but for the rest of us its way overboard.

We're trying to move away from license keys entirely. It's a step a lot of companies took a long time ago, because there are a number of problems with license keys (they're easier to lose than an account, it's easier to guess/steal someone else's key than it is someone else's account, etc).

Everyone is used to license keys, and they are so easy to use. Let me ask you, what is easier, entering a license key or messing around in the console for 30 minutes trying to figure it out?  I suppose you guys are doing it for security reasons. Its ok, I really support you guys for your customer support and privacy policies. I'll get used to it, when I'm ( insert smiley for 90 years old).

1 minute ago, digmor crusher said:

Let me ask you, what is easier, entering a license key or messing around in the console for 30 minutes trying to figure it out?

You don't need to mess around in the console. You can just install EAM, and when the license activation dialog appears you log in with your MyEmsisoft credentials and select your workspace.

Sorry GT, I've tried dozens of security related programs over the past 15 years and your console is probably top 5 for most pain in the +++. I don't remember having to select my workspace. Yes, I had to mess around in console to figure out what is going on, entering license key,  you don't. Its confusing, I can't see anyone saying its not, good for corporate, or the geekiest of the geekiest. No one else needs the hassle. In any case we can shut this down as no need to continue. Thanks.

@GT500 - the modern trend with software is to provide no manuals, or only the most basic user guides - I don't know why any software vendor thinks that's a good idea.

The long-established idea of: buy software, get licence code, enter it somewhere in the software .. is simple and common to many applications.  Even so, in most of the cases I've seen the email that delivers a code to a user comes with instructions on how to install it.  That often includes statements like: "use copy & paste", or "detach the attached file and then drag it into such-and-such a dialog". 

If every company writes their own replacement for this, then it means users have to learn umpteen variants on a theme.  It's NOT as simple.  If you must do it, it needs proper step-by-step documentation, ALWAYS provided to the user (ie not something they have to hunt for) and it would certainly help if there was an explanation of why things had changed.

1 hour ago, JeremyNicoll said:

@GT500 - the modern trend with software is to provide no manuals, or only the most basic user guides - I don't know why any software vendor thinks that's a good idea.

The long-established idea of: buy software, get licence code, enter it somewhere in the software .. is simple and common to many applications.  Even so, in most of the cases I've seen the email that delivers a code to a user comes with instructions on how to install it.  That often includes statements like: "use copy & paste", or "detach the attached file and then drag it into such-and-such a dialog". 

If every company writes their own replacement for this, then it means users have to learn umpteen variants on a theme.  It's NOT as simple.  If you must do it, it needs proper step-by-step documentation, ALWAYS provided to the user (ie not something they have to hunt for) and it would certainly help if there was an explanation of why things had changed.

I agree with that. It's like a plague among software manufacturers. But also for many electrical items. 100 pages of safety information and disclaimers and 2 pages of operating instructions on paper.

22 hours ago, digmor crusher said:

I don't remember having to select my workspace.

If you download the installer from the "Add device" button in MyEmsisoft (after clicking on the workspace) then it will automatically be connected to the workspace when installed. No activation required.

17 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Our manual is available online, that way anyone can view it from any Internet-connected device, even before they install our software:
https://help.emsisoft.com/

17 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

The long-established idea of: buy software, get licence code, enter it somewhere in the software .. is simple and common to many applications.

It's also one of the more problematic ways to handle licenses. I expected it to be replaced with logins a long time ago, as other Anti-Virus software companies had gone that route over a decade earlier (ESET is a good example). Workspaces are just a way of simplifying that, allowing you to download in 3 clicks an installer that is already tied to your account, and which will automatically activate after installation. No need to find/remember and enter a license key, and a far lower likelihood of your license information being stolen (stealing accounts is more difficult than stealing license keys, even without 2-Factor Authentication).

6 hours ago, GT500 said:

If you download the installer from the "Add device" button in MyEmsisoft (after clicking on the workspace) then it will automatically be connected to the workspace when installed. No activation required.

Why would someone who already uses the product and has it installed do that?

20 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

@GT500  It might be, but it's incredibly unintuitive to anyone /who has something installed/ to think they'd have to install it again.  Do you not see that?

I'd have to confirm this with QA to be 100% certain, however I don't think you actually need to install EAM again. The installer should run, see EAM installed, and map it to your workspace so that it activates with your license information. It's a small download, so the entire process should be fairly quick.