Emsisoft can't update

Mattimoty

Hello Emsisoft team,

I decided to try out Emsisoft and just after installation, I ran into issue of my Emsisoft AM (version 2020.11.0.10501) being unable to connect to the update server (with the notification "Could not connect to the update server. Please check your internet connection and proxy settings."). I am running Windows 10 Pro with the latest update and all my other programs (Windows Update, Firefox, Steam) connect to internet and update just fine. So far I tried:

-uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling Emsisoft to no effect

-I am not running any firewall outside of the default Windows one. Still tried to disable it and update Emsisoft, just to be sure, but to no effect

-I am not running a proxy server

-I am (was) running VPN (ExpressVPN) and for longest time, I thought it was the culprit. However, I tried disabling the VPN, closing the client itself, uninstalling the client and rebooting my computer, all to no effect.

-I have no other Antivirus software installed

I really hope that I'm just missing something obvious, but I'm at my wits end.

I checked the thread you posted and tried a few of things mentioned there that didn't occur to me before (including sfc /scannow - > DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, coupled with nice and relaxing time spent cleaning things around the house), but unfortunately nothing had any effect. I checked my router settings, just to be sure, but nothing seemed out of ordinary. It had in-built firewall that I never had any issues with before, but disabling it and trying to update didn't have any effect either.I'm grasping at straws and checking my router settings did remind me that I have a Dynamic IP, could that be an issue?

Also, in contrast to user in that thread, I can access the Emsisoft homepage and download things from there just fine. I have also no issues accessing my cloud console and managing the Emsisoft AM on my computer from there. Literally the only thing that doesn't seem to work is updating. I did download the Emsisoft Diagnostic Tool and will gladly share the log, I'm half curious and half dreading where the issue could possibly be.

7 hours ago, Mattimoty said:

I did download the Emsisoft Diagnostic Tool and will gladly share the log...

If you could attach the log to a reply (only authorized helpers can view it) then I'll take a look at it and see if it shows any issues.

Before we do any troubleshooting, let's try getting debug logs from Emsisoft Anti-Malware and see if they show anything useful. Here's what to do:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on the little gear icon on the left side of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window (roughly in the middle).
  3. Click Advanced in the menu at the top.
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the Advanced section, and change the option for Debug logging to Enabled for 1 day.
  5. After that, close the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window.
  6. Reproduce the issue you are having (wait for updates to fail, or manually try checking for updates and wait until it displays an error message).

And here's how to send us the logs:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on the little icon in the lower-left (right above the question mark) that looks like little chat bubbles.
  3. Click on the button that says Send an email.
  4. Select the logs on the right that show today's dates (if you try to send too many logs, then we may not receive them).
  5. Fill in the e-mail contact form with your name, your e-mail address, and a description of what the logs are for (if possible please leave a link to the topic on the forums that the logs are related to in your message).
  6. If you have any screenshots or another file that you need to send with the logs, then you can click the Attach file button at the bottom (only one file can be attached at a time).
  7. Click on Send now at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.

Important: Please be sure to turn debug logging back off after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to having debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.

15 hours ago, GT500 said:

Everything looks fine to me in that log.

Do you know when the update problems started? You've still noticed nothing wrong with other applications (only Emsisoft Anti-Malware is effected)?

Ok, I did managed to figure out what is causing the issue and its.... uh.

In my online console, I tried to Remove the Device I had installed the Emsisoft AM on (ie. - my computer) from my Workspace and did so without issue. The Emsisoft AM on my computer reverted to Freeware license. Using the Freeware license, I was able connect to the servers and update the Emsisoft AM. After adding the device back under my workspace (and my paid license) Emsisoft AM once again was unable to connect to the servers and update.

I tested this using another e-mail account and registering for the free 30 days trial period. Using the license from the trial period, Emsisoft AM was able, once again, to freely connect to the servers and update. Changing absolutely nothing else outside of the license, I logged into my Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home account on the Emsisoft AM and was unable to connect to the servers, with the error I mentioned in my previous posts.

I sent the logs with today's date, both when I was using Emsisoft AM under Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home license and encountered the error when trying to update and when I was using Emsisoft AM under Freeware license and had no issues when updating. Hopefully tit will help with figuring out this issue!

9 hours ago, Mattimoty said:

Ok, I did managed to figure out what is causing the issue and its.... uh.

The issue appears to be due to non-Latin characters in workspace names. We're implemented a workaround for this, so hopefully that resolves the update issues.

• Like 2