Update to 2020.12.1.10579 - application restart problem

marko

My machine updated to EAM 2020.12.1.10579 a few hours ago and displayed the notification that the program needed to restart so I clicked on restart - I didn't look at it again until just now and it looks as if EAM didn't restart.

My forensic log shows this

image.png.ccc37a4484d0de1174734ee99f451072.png

As you can see, the 'program needs to be restarted' message was shown at 15:39.  When I looked at EAM at 19:30ish I noticed that it hadn't done its hourly updates since that update, and there was nothing in the log to suggest it had even tried.  I rebooted at 19:56 and it's working ok now - the log above shows it had updated to a newer version, but the log entry for this is 4 hours after it said it needed to restart.

I just turned my other machine on and it too has displayed the 'program needs to be restarted to finish the update' message - I clicked on the message to allow the restart but it hasn't restarted either, and I suspect it won't do any updates either until I reboot the machine.

And to confirm, the second machine didn't do its scheduled update an hour later either.  So, I rebooted and EAM showed a notification after the reboot to say it has just updated to a newer version.  It then did its overdue hourly update.

So it seems that this version update prevents EAM from getting subsequent scheduled signature updates unless you reboot the machine.

I have debug logs for this if you want them.

Hmm, I had a "restart required" alert a bit over eight hours ago, and I thnk I'm in the same situation.  The GUI main page says the last update was 7h ago, and looking at About that I'm on v10577, so it appears that 10579 hasn't installed.   Also, I run with debug logging always on (except for a few seconds when I disable & reenable it) and the last set were those created just after last midnight (ie about 21h 45m ago).   All the a2-.exe processes, according to Process Hacker, were last started yesterday or earlier.

I'm glad it's not just me then - presumably 10579 hasn't installed because EAM didn't restart.

I also noticed that when you hover over the Last Update text on the main gui page, it says 'Next Update in:  '  whereas nornally it would say 'Next Update in: n minutes'.

8 hours ago, marko said:

So it seems that this version update prevents EAM from getting subsequent scheduled signature updates unless you reboot the machine.

Actually, this was probably a problem with the previous version of EAM, and not 2020.12.

4 hours ago, digmor crusher said:

I have my settings set to update every hour, was not updating every hour today. When clicking update it updates but stays on 10577.  Tried twice today, and no notification asking for a reboot. Haven't tried to reboot yet.

I'd recommend going ahead and restarting the computer when you can find time. When it comes to PC troubleshooting, that's supposed to be the first step as it fixes a surprising number of issues.

We found the issue, thanks to the logs @JeremyNicoll sent me last night.

This happens when you have enabled notification "Application restarts". (Disabled by default)

When an app restart is required, like yesterday, and you do not  touch the notification and the counter goes down  to 0,  no app restart is performed

We will fix this in the upcoming  2021.1 version;

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Frank H said:

We found the issue, thanks to the logs @JeremyNicoll sent me last night.

This happens when you have enabled notification "Application restarts". (Disabled by default)

When an app restart is required, like yesterday, and you do not  touch the notification and the counter goes down  to 0,  no app restart is performed

We will fix this in the upcoming  2021.1 version;

well I didn't let the counter go down to zero - I clicked on Restart Now on the notification, but it didn't retstart

14 hours ago, digmor crusher said:

I have my settings set to update every hour, was not updating every hour today. When clicking update it updates but stays on 10577.  Tried twice today, and no notification asking for a reboot. Haven't tried to reboot yet.

The notification was for an application restart, not a system one.  The reboots Marko and I have done were what forced EAM to restart cleanly.

3 minutes ago, digmor crusher said:

Yah, I figured a restart would fix it, it did. Just an FYI, I have application and computer restarts both checked.  No notification or timer yesterday, only after restart did one pop up.

I have device (Computer) restart unticked and App restart ticked.

Fortunately I didn't see the problem that you guys had.

On 12/4/2020 at 2:54 PM, marko said:

well I didn't let the counter go down to zero - I clicked on Restart Now on the notification, but it didn't retstart

That is also a result of the issue. We will have this fixed in 2021.1. However you will only notice the fix when updating from 2021.1 to 2021.2.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:12 AM, GT500 said:

It's possible that has the same root cause as the issue Frank was talking about.

9 minutes ago, Frank H said:

That is also a result of the issue. We will have this fixed in 2021.1. However you will only notice the fix when updating from 2021.1 to 2021.2.

ok, great -  thanks for the update

Just noticed this thread and funny thing happened to me on 12/3. I had two blue screens that day. I got a 900 mb dump file, but never questioned about it. I also had a MBAM upgrade on the same day. The first Blue Screen was at 12:13 pm Mountain time. Nothing since.

17 hours ago, Ken1943 said:

Just noticed this thread and funny thing happened to me on 12/3. I had two blue screens that day. I got a 900 mb dump file, but never questioned about it. I also had a MBAM upgrade on the same day. The first Blue Screen was at 12:13 pm Mountain time. Nothing since.

Do the logs from either EAM or MBAM show updates happening around the time of either BSoD?