I got a notification that "emisoft emergency kit is downloading from onedrive" during a scan

I was running a custom scan (scan for rootkits/use direct disk access) and about two thirds through I got a notification that "emisoft emergency kit is downloading from onedrive" this is on a windows 10 PC. I tried cancelling but keep getting a message that "cancelling downloads could cause Emisoft Emergency Kit to close" I tried cancelling again and the message just keeps reappearing. Any help/advice would be appreciated. I do have a backup copy of the program folder for Emergency Kit on Onedrive.

Blocking the app doesn't stop the notifications.

EEK 2020.5.1.10518 Free Version

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460  CPU @ 3.20GHz   3.20 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎10/‎29/‎2020
OS build    19042.662
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Security Software: Norton Security Online & Malwarebytes Pro

Macrium Reflect for backup

Hi,

I don't have any folder configured as you describe.

Some more information: After I posted last night, which was while this was happening, I tried again to cancel the download and my computer froze for a couple minutes with the taskbar going blank. I think I had stopped the scan and closed EEK by then. Also there were five files attempting to download totaled at 4.00 MG although they didn't seem to actually download. I also said in the first post that the notice appeared when the scan was about two thirds finished but in retrospect that is when I saw the notice, I can't say for sure when it actually occurred.

After the computer became responsive again I did a restore with Macrium Reflect. I have to admit this kind of rattled me. It felt like I had a program, a security one at that, going rogue.

I tried uploading a picture I took with my phone, (I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know how to do a screenshot), of the notification but it isn't working.

Thank-you.

The freeze could have happened due to the security software with real-time protection. Adding exclusions to them for EEK may help prevent that.

As for the OneDrive issue, I'll ask QA if there are any known instances where EEK will try to scan files that are stored on OneDrive.

Sounds good and thank-you.

It's a pretty weird problem, I have to admit.

I don't know if it matters or would be helpful but I've tried a couple times to upload the picture I took of the notification but have not had any success.

Thanks again.

Here is a copy of the scan results for the scan in question. I have the OneDrive folder installed on my D:\ drive and as I mentioned I have the EEK install folder backed up there along with some other rootkit/malware scanners:

Emsisoft Emergency Kit - Version 2020.5
Last update: 12/1/2020 3:51:38 PM
XXXXXXX
 Windows 10x64

Scan settings:

Scan type: Custom Scan
Objects: Rootkits, C:\, D:\, E:\

Detect PUPs: OFF
Scan archives: OFF
Scan mail archives: OFF
ADS Scan: OFF
Direct disk access: ON

Scan start:    12/7/2020 3:24:26 PM

Scanned    401708
Found    0

Scan end:    12/7/2020 5:38:18 PM
Scan time:    2:13:52

13 minutes ago, JonB said:

Sounds good and thank-you.

It's a pretty weird problem, I have to admit.

I don't know if it matters or would be helpful but I've tried a couple times to upload the picture I took of the notification but have not had any success.

Thanks again.

Did you try zipping the file before uploading it?

7 hours ago, JonB said:

Some ad blockers can cause trouble with attachments on the forums. If you have an ad blocker (uBlock Origin, Adguard, Adblock Plus, etc) then try disabling it and then refreshing the page before attaching files (make sure to copy anything you write in the reply field before refreshing the page in case the forums didn't autosave it).

I've tried disabling my ad blocker and using a different browser. I even tried using my ipad but no luck still. Every time I get a white rectangle pop up that has a black triangle with an exclamation sign in it and next to that the number -200. This is what shows under Uploaded images:

Upload Failed

20201207_175300.jpg

3.1 mb · Upload Failed

Can't you put the picture somewhere - Onedrive for example (which I know nothing about but assume it's like Dropbox and that you can get a URL that points to a single file)? - and give us the URL to that file?  Or put it on a picture upload site (assuming there's nothing confidential in the picture) and give us that URL.

It seems to be normal that apps that want to open files (stored online only on any cloud provider's service) will trigger a download.  That's reasonable, because how else can an app use such a file?

According to: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/101977-allow-block-automatic-file-downloads-apps-windows-10-a.html  option three, you can disable this per-app.  That might be useful while Emsisoft work out whether there's a way to prevent EEK from trying to open such files.

9 hours ago, JonB said:

Yes. Just finished scanning C:\ & E:\ drives only with no issues.

OK, that's what I was expecting.

Just note that if EEK scans files that are on OneDrive, you'll see that notification from Windows, as the files need to be downloaded to be scanned.

22 minutes ago, GT500 said:

OK, that's what I was expecting.

Just note that if EEK scans files that are on OneDrive, you'll see that notification from Windows, as the files need to be downloaded to be scanned.

That's good to know and makes sense now. Guess I was being a bit paranoid.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Thank-you all.