Should all incoming connections be blocked?

qwerty

Is it correct that a standard home computer (that won't be running and kind of server) should have all incoming connections blocked? I have used other firewalls that provide this functionality.

If so, does Online Armor (Premium) perform this by default, and if so, where can I check the setting/enable/disable this function?

If not, would I manually configure this by creating a rule?

Thank you.

By default, inbound connections will be allowed for Trusted programs automatically. If you have OA set to prompt for internet access for Trusted programs (not a default setting), then you'd see a popup if the program wanted to make an inbound connection and could block it then. Some inbound connections may be created during the initial Learning mode before this option is in effect.

You can preemptively create a rule to block all inbound either for a selected program, or for all programs. In the Firewall Rule Editor, just select "All ports", set Protocol to "Both", Direction to "In" and choose the program or all programs using the radio box under the title "Program Control".

Some processes may need inbound access regardless of whether you run a server. Some kinds of internet connections require inbound access for svchost on port 68 to connect you to your ISP. Other Windows processes by default will also use inbound (at least in XP). Time synch in Windows uses it. Depending on what else you run you may have other programs that need inbound too.

You can preemptively create a rule to block all inbound either for a selected program, or for all programs. In the Firewall Rule Editor, just select "All ports", set Protocol to "Both", Direction to "In" and choose the program or all programs using the radio box under the title "Program Control".

If I select "Both" for protocol, that covers TCP and UDP, but what about ICMP and RAW?

How would I go about setting an exception to this rule, for a certain IP address or port (or both)?

Thank you for your always prompt replies, catprincess.

If I select "Both" for protocol, that covers TCP and UDP, but what about ICMP and RAW?

If you are working in Advanced mode, you can control ICMP and RAW per program by toggling the setting displayed in Firewall -> Rules -> Program Access. Just click the appropriate cell to toggle between Ask/Block/Allow.

How would I go about setting an exception to this rule, for a certain IP address or port (or both)?

There isn't currently a way to allow ICMP or RAW only for certain IP addresses. To control the ports ICMP uses, you can select the types you want to allow from Firewall -> ICMP :) This setting is global and affects all programs.

If you are working in Advanced mode, you can control ICMP and RAW per program by toggling the setting displayed in Firewall -> Rules -> Program Access. Just click the appropriate cell to toggle between Ask/Block/Allow.

So the block rule for TCP/UDP ("Both") is global, but ICMP and RAW have to be configured for every single program individually? Is there no way to set a global rule, as with TCP & UDP?

There isn't currently a way to allow ICMP or RAW only for certain IP addresses. To control the ports ICMP uses, you can select the types you want to allow from Firewall -> ICMP :) This setting is global and affects all programs.

Yes, this seems to be a recurring issue with OA. I've noticed that under all protocol dropdowns, there are only ever options for "TCP", "UDP" or "Both". It's sorely lacking an "ICMP", "All" and possibly even "Other".

So the block rule for TCP/UDP ("Both") is global, but ICMP and RAW have to be configured for every single program individually? Is there no way to set a global rule, as with TCP & UDP?

No, you don't have to configure each program separately. In the Firewall -> Rules -> Program Access section, it's a per program option. You can block ICMP for some programs and allow it for others simply by toggling the appropriate cell

For global configuration of ICMP types you go to Firewall -> ICMP and untick the types you don't want to allow. The types you allow will be allowed for any programs you allow (either preemptively or via a popup) ICMP for in the Firewall -> Rules -> Program Access section. You could block all ICMP types here if you wanted and no program would be able to use them then as these settings have a global effect.