Reinstall gives: "A version of this software is already installed" error

Hi Support,

This issue started with the uninstall of a problematic Windows Update (KB4586878). I resolved the problem with the DNS, but then Emsisoft started giving problems. I uninstalled the software but an attempted reinstall gave the "A version of this software is already installed" error.

As per this article: https://help.emsisoft.com/en/1787/how-do-i-completely-uninstall-an-emsisoft-product/ I ran EmsiClean and attached the log.

Emsisoft version: 2020.12.1.10579.
Device details: Name: DESKTOP-SNF8BOK OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18363 (64-bit)
Laptop: Acer NC-E1-571G-32348

In the cloud console, the device is showing as offline. As a temporary measure, might it be possible to install a 30-day trial of Emsisoft as I only have Windows Defender installed at the moment?

Many thanks for your help!

Kind Regards,

Liam

EmsiClean_2020.12.09_17.42.42.txt

Go ahead and allow Emsiclean to remove everything, and then restart your computer twice (sometimes a second restart is needed for everything to be removed). After that you should be able to reinstall.

12 hours ago, CelticCoder said:

As a temporary measure, might it be possible to install a 30-day trial of Emsisoft as I only have Windows Defender installed at the moment?

The free trial is the exact same software, just with a different license, so it wouldn't install either.

Hi Arthur,

I ran EmsiClean and then after the first reboot I ran it again to see what it might show. I have attached the log.

However, I think that the message is a false positive as it came up again when I checked after the next reboot. At that stage I reinstalled Emsisoft successfully

Thanks for your help! You can close this ticket.

Kind Regards,

Liam

EmsiClean_2020.12.10_11.37.01.txt

There were a couple of things left over (a driver and a service) that still needed to be removed. I don't think it would have been an issue though, unless they were from an older version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware. If updates had been installing fine, then you probably shouldn't have any trouble.