windows preview updates

they keep trying to install themselves on my computer; none of my emails have been registered with the insider program; I have re-installed the system several times. Previews are systematically coming back. Should I be worried?

winpro 10 20H2

Preview updates are released near the end of each month so that people can install them in advance of the normal Patch Tuesday to determine if there are any issues before the mandatory monthly updates are released. They normally don't include security updates, and instead are a collection of bug fixes and updates to existing features. BleepingComputer has an article on the one for February at the following link:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-cumulative-update-preview-kb4601382-released/

> Preview updates are released near the end of each month so that people can install them in advance of the normal Patch Tuesday to determine if there are any issues

Microsoft don't emphasise enough that the "people" who might need to do this are not ordinary users.

Instead they are developers who might benefit from some warning that what's coming at the next Patch Tuesday may break their applications (so get a chance to prepare fixes for their programmes before their customers are affected).  It's also useful for systems administrators who can install the previews on test machines, to see if their corporate networks would suffer when the real patches are released (so they can block the fixes).

I can't think of any reason why an "ordinary user" would want to install a Preview, if they have any choice in the matter.

As far as I know these updates will only show up as optional. Most normal computer users will just rely on Windows installing updates automatically and will rarely check the Windows Update settings page.

Right now I have an optional preview of KB4601382 for example. I can install that manually, but Windows won't do it automatically until the next patch Tuesday. 

It's good to realize that preview updates (which you can get a little earlier than normal updates) and preview builds (which you can get when you're part of the Windows Insiders program) are really different things. It's normal to see the former on Windows, but the latter you should only see when you are registered for Insider builds.

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2021 at 4:39 AM, JeremyNicoll said:

my mistake, this is:)

preview.jpg

as you can see, it goes automatic, all I can do is switch it off.

16 hours ago, Elise said:

It's good to realize that preview updates (which you can get a little earlier than normal updates) and preview builds (which you can get when you're part of the Windows Insiders program) are really different things. It's normal to see the former on Windows, but the latter you should only see when you are registered for Insider builds.

i know, thats why want to know if should I be worried.

9 hours ago, dkds said:

as you can see, it goes automatic, all I can do is switch it off.

It seems to only be the one for the .NET Framework that is installing automatically. The Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 is listed as optional, and is waiting for confirmation to download/install.

As for why the .NET Framework preview updates are installing automatically, you may need to ask Microsoft via the Answers forum.

Just now, GT500 said:

It seems to only be the one for the .NET Framework that is installing automatically. The Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 is listed as optional, and is waiting for confirmation to download/install.

As for why the .NET Framework preview updates are installing automatically, you may need to ask Microsoft via the Answers forum.

.Net preview installed automatically for me too on my machines this time.

Usually for the previews you have to select 'Check for Updates' but not this time for me, soon as I went to Win Updates it started checking automatically.

@GT500

>> As for why the .NET Framework preview updates are installing automatically, you may need to ask Microsoft via the Answers forum.

did, twice, not on forum because I've seen unanswered posts describing exactly the same problem, but directly -  first advice was: your DVD must be damaged, download ISO, install again; second,  customer center: look, this are cumulatives,  that's super!

@stapp

>> .Net preview installed automatically for me too on my machines this time.

>> Usually for the previews you have to select 'Check for Updates' but not this time for me, soon as I went to Win Updates it started checking automatically.

i don't think is good news, last time I let it install in my comp, standard user profile, I use daily, disintegrated completely; noticed not expected big downloads, etc. etc.

OK, so, no idea how to prevent this s* ?

19 hours ago, dkds said:

last time I let it install in my comp, standard user profile, I use daily, disintegrated completely; noticed not expected big downloads, etc. etc.

That sounds like a feature update.

@dkds  I don't know about My Emsisoft, but are you sure this wasn't one of the EAM "Updates" settings (which relate to malware signatures etc), or possibly the "Advanced" setting which asks if items stored in EAM's Quarantine should be rescanned every time EAM receives signature updates?

On 2/28/2021 at 3:39 AM, dkds said:

is Emsisoft home able to control installed updates?

No.

On 2/28/2021 at 3:39 AM, dkds said:

If not, what is a purpose of windows updates button I think I saw in MyEmsisoft profile?

There are no Windows Update controls in MyEmsisoft. There are program and database update controls for certain Emsisoft products, but that's it.