Sign in to follow this  
rk123

Printer cannot print from internet with Program Guard enabled

I have just installed Online Armor -free recently and I am finding that my printer cannot print things over the internet when the Program Guard is enabled.

If I go to a site and try to print from it by "select all" "copy" then "print" My printer cannot seem to print anything nor does the "Printer screen open" when Program Guard is enabled. I have tried to print things when the "Program Guard" is off and it can print to a pdf file via a pdf printer I have.

I get the following error messages:

A)

Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page set-up, or printing a document, you need to install a printer. Do you want to install a printer now? Y/N

B)

Printers:

Operation could not be completed. Access denied.

What could the problem be? My printer prints Microsoft Word documents fine with no error messages for documents saved on my machine.

All printer programs are set to "allowed" /"trusted" in the program section and i get no alerts of anything being blocked. I have an HP Officejet 7130 printer and I'm using Window XP/Firefox.

I do not see any unusual blocked or other entries in the OA History. There is nothing in the Firewall log either that seems wrong.

I tried disabling the OA firewall, program guard, key logger, web site guard and used the Windows XP Firewall. By this process I found that it was only when the "Program Guard" was checked the Print Box wouldn't appear but the above error message appeared instead.

I tried printing a page from Internet Explorer with the "Program Guard" enabled and it allows the "Printer Box" to show. I was able to print to a pdf printer.

I tried printing with firefox yet I get NO "Printer Box" with the"Program Guard" enabled. Cannot print at all.

I turned OFF Run Safe and I have been running Firefox with "drop my right" as I normally do.

[I may try re-installing my printer software. There may be 2 problems as my software wouldn't print off the internet for a period last week until I re-installed the software. This was with a different firewall which I was using for quite some time. The problem with NOT being able to print with the "Program Guard" enabled is a new issue. If I re-install printer software I assume that I click "install" when OA prompts me to trust items.]

Config Settings: (separate issue)

The Firewall is set to Active and Trust for my Local Connection Intel Pro etc. Is this how it should be configured? Also. in Firewall setting...should my browser Firefox be set to "TRUST" or just "ALLOWED"? It seems to constantly change the "Rules" by adding new ports for programs to go outbound.

Any ideas on why there is a conflict with the program guard. I don't think that this is an issue with the firewall.

I uninstalled and re-installed my printer software while my Antivir AV and Malwarebytes Real-time were off. The printer installed and was able to print while not connected to the internet.

Then, I tried enabling the Windows XP firewall, Disabled the OA ( unchecked Firewall, web site guard, program guard, keylogger) and also turned off OA from the lower bar icon gui.

I started my Mozilla Thunderbird and tried printing at a link in an email. It printed fine. I also previously had trouble copying and pasting items from internet pages; I was now able to copy/paste again. I went directly to an internet page and highlighted text, clicked "copy" and clicked print> selection (the printer box opened as with Thunderbird above)then I was able to print easily.

I then re-started the OA from my "start menu" but the firewall didn't seem to start, although the program did. I had to completely re-boot the system for OA to work again. I turned of the Windows firewall once OA firewall started working again after the re-boot.

It seems that there is a definite CONFLICT and major problem with Online Armor and the printing mode. Especially, when the "Program Guard" is on.

Also, I tried checking to make sure the executable file for my HP printer were allowed in the program list. I also tried adding the specific 2 files hpzenj04.exe and hpztbx04.exe to the Firewall>Rules to allow outbound ALL from port 80. This change still did not allow printing.

Another concern is that I cannot easily ADD a program that OA did not find in its initial Wizard Scan to the program list. (If there is a way please tell me)

I hope that you can find a way to rectify this problem or else i will need to try using a different firewall. I will not try this again or even consider the OA-premium.

I appreciate any assistance.

I turned OFF Run Safe and I have been running Firefox with "drop my right" as I normally do.

If you don't use "drop my rights" while OA is running does printing work in Firefox?

Config Settings: (separate issue)

The Firewall is set to Active and Trust for my Local Connection Intel Pro etc. Is this how it should be configured? Also. in Firewall setting...should my browser Firefox be set to "TRUST" or just "ALLOWED"? It seems to constantly change the "Rules" by adding new ports for programs to go outbound.

That's the default setting for an interface that is detected during the installation and intial Learning mode. If this interface is for a wireless network, you may want to untrust it to prevent intruders from gaining access. It's best to set to Firefox to Trusted. The rules that are being added are probably local ports for the loopback interface.

From the webhelp:

Intercept Loopback interface – Some programs that filter internet content (such as some ad-blockers, antivirus software, and spam filters) operate as a proxy server which your internet software is then configured to connect to in order to connect to the internet. This connection is created using the “loopback interface.” Most loopback connections are harmless system functions, however if you are running a proxy that is already allowed to access the internet, malicious software could potentially use this software to connect to the internet without the Firewall alerting you. This option allows you to change whether Online Armor will pop-up when the loopback interface is used and is enabled by default.

I started my Mozilla Thunderbird and tried printing at a link in an email. It printed fine. I also previously had trouble copying and pasting items from internet pages; I was now able to copy/paste again. I went directly to an internet page and highlighted text, clicked "copy" and clicked print> selection (the printer box opened as with Thunderbird above)then I was able to print easily.

Do you have these programs that you are having copy/paste trouble with set to Trusted?

Another concern is that I cannot easily ADD a program that OA did not find in its initial Wizard Scan to the program list. (If there is a way please tell me)

You can right click anywhere in the Program's list and choose "Add" to add a program to the list :) Or, you can locate the program and drag it into the Program's list.