Sign in to follow this  
MichaelT

googletalk.exe detected as a keylogger?

I have just installed my gmail and googletalk, OLA detected it as a keylogger.

The DL came directly from googles page.

Anyone ever have this happen to them?

Did I get a bad file dl?

I have just installed my gmail and googletalk, OLA detected it as a keylogger.

The DL came directly from googles page.

Anyone ever have this happen to them?

Did I get a bad file dl?

Hi MichaelT,

OA has detected keylogger behavior. If you're sure that affected executable is legitimate - go to "OA Configuration->Programs" find that executable and mark it as trusted.

Best regards,

Andrey.

Hi Andrey,

Could such trusted items be periodically cleaned up from the Keyloggers list? Are there any disadvantages for trusted entries?

Best regards,

Nick

Hi MichaelT,

OA has detected keylogger behavior. If you're sure that affected executable is legitimate - go to "OA Configuration->Programs" find that executable and mark it as trusted.

Best regards,

Andrey.

OK,,,So in the programs GT is marked as an allowed process..............

Brings me back to the question, did I get a bad DL?

Sending to VT....................

NOPE,,,,,clean file 0/42.

SO WHY IS GOOGLE TALK TAGGED AS A KEYLOGGER???

Moreover, what is it about GTs behaviour that makes it a keylogger?

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Online Armor detects keylogger behavior so you may see detections for legitimate software that does not actually record keystrokes. Many programs use these same techniques for legitimate reasons, such as "Hot Keys". As with all of Online Armor's protection, you should simply consider the program that Online Armor is alerting you to and whether you trust it. If Online Armor alerts you to "keylogger behavior" of a program that you know and trust, then you should set the program to Trusted to allow it to function normally.

• Upvote 1

Online Armor detects keylogger behavior so you may see detections for legitimate software that does not actually record keystrokes. Many programs use these same techniques for legitimate reasons, such as "Hot Keys". As with all of Online Armor's protection, you should simply consider the program that Online Armor is alerting you to and whether you trust it. If Online Armor alerts you to "keylogger behavior" of a program that you know and trust, then you should set the program to Trusted to allow it to function normally.

Interpenetrating your reply,,,Some, if not all, of the programs in your PC that use a KEY STROKE to navigate, MAY be considered a KeyLogger?

Interpenetrating your reply,,,Some, if not all, of the programs in your PC that use a KEY STROKE to navigate, MAY be considered a KeyLogger?

QUESTION,,,How do I determine if I received a bad DL, other than using VT?

CP didn't say they may be considered a keylogger, she said they may be exhibiting keylogger behavior. There is a huge difference.

They may be detected by OA as displaying keylogger behaviour, yes. It doesn't mean they are actually a keylogger though. The context of the alerts is the important thing to take into consideration. If you have downloaded a program from a reputable download site, from a well known vendor that is trustworthy, then it's safe to assume the program is safe and just Trust it. This would be the case with Google Talk. On the other hand, if you are just browsing the internet and suddenly get a file download popup for some unknown file, and if for some reason you choose to execute it (perhaps accidently) and the next alert you get tells you it's exhibiting keylogger behaviour, then this would be an example of where you would certainly want to block it :)

If you have downloaded a program from a reputable download site, from a well known vendor that is trustworthy, then it's safe to assume the program is safe and just Trust it.

For example - both my video and photo editing programs record key strokes so that you can go back or forward withing them.

Without that facility you'd be stuck at that point in the editing.

For example - both my video and photo editing programs record key strokes so that you can go back or forward withing them.

Without that facility you'd be stuck at that point in the editing.

and the same applies to OpenOffice.org 3.3