FUTURE OF EAM WINDOWS 7 SUPPORT AFTER MARCH 31 2021

Well the title sums up my question. I am hoping to get a heads up before March 31 2021 about the EOL status concerning Windows 7. I plan on using my three Win7  computers for as long as possible and as long as they continue to perform without  any types of issues. I keep all of my other programs up to date as much as possible plus I use many  other security measures. I am willing to renew with Emsisoft for as long as possible, as I am quite satisfied. I do have new iPAD with a KeePass password app as a backup OS to pay bills, access important accounts ETC... in case my large Win7 desktops have to be abandoned in the future. I'm too old to keep building  desktops or dealing with learning new OS systems so I will probably steer myself towards the OS system that is most straight-forward and uses a simple update approach. Windows 10 does not meet my wants and needs concerning their updates and various new Builds and update bugs that are hard to stomach. I never thought I would embrace the Apple IOS (14) but their iPAD with IOS is smooth, fast, straight-forward updates and seemingly very secure. IOS doesn't even require 3rd party malware protection except for add-blocking. Of course I cant use my 15 year old Fijitsu Commercial scanner with Linux, IOS or a Mac. I am very spoiled with Windows 7 as I am heavily invested with Win7 hardware and software.

So the bottom-line for me is that Linux-mint or similar (have used) would be feasible if I were younger. So that leaves my migrating to a Windows 10 laptop or Mac Laptop linked to my new 32" monitors. I got the iPad for my spouse. I hate small devices for medical reasons. However, I will continue to use my other Windows 7 computers for as long as possible and will need to find a Malware-AV vender that is planning to continue supporting Windows 7 for a good while longer. There are some that I have located, but I would rather not switch away from EAM. I'm sure that there are others (25% of Windows users) that feel the same way. I am hoping that it is really not that difficult for Emsisoft to continue coding to support Windows 7 perhaps with a disclaimer. Otherwise, I will look your way again in the future if I end up using a supported OS system.

Thanks

Thanks for the extension of support. I would like to encourage Emsisoft to consider a longer extension of support based on a few other Malware-AV vendors that reach out to early 2022 or have not yet set an EOL date. Just a thought.

11 hours ago, Yilee said:

Thanks for the extension of support. I would like to encourage Emsisoft to consider a longer extension of support based on a few other Malware-AV vendors that reach out to early 2022 or have not yet set an EOL date. Just a thought.

It's possible that we may extend support again. Even if we don't, please note that the end of support KB article says the following:

When the support period ends, new installations will not be possible any longer and existing installations will stop receiving monthly functional updates. Malware detection updates will be provided for 12 more months.

This means that EAM will continue to work on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, and will receive database updates for 12 months after support for those platforms officially ends.

Is the text about signature updates being provided for the extra 12 months new?  I don't recall reading that before.

Leaving aside not getting new functional updates, would users of out-of-support versions of EAM get bug fixes in that 12-month period if (say, on my Win 8.1 system) something in a Windows Update broke EAM?

12 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Is the text about signature updates being provided for the extra 12 months new?  I don't recall reading that before.

It may be new, however I don't know when it was added to the KB article.

12 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

... would users of out-of-support versions of EAM get bug fixes in that 12-month period if (say, on my Win 8.1 system) something in a Windows Update broke EAM?

As far as I am aware, users on unsupported versions of Windows would not get any program updates at all once support for their Operating System ends.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope your support time will be upgraded. Almost all industry brands will continue to support until 2022.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/all-major-antivirus-vendors-will-continue-to-support-windows-7-post-eol/

Most vendors, with a few exceptions, have confirmed that their products will continue to run on Windows 7 systems for at least two years, until 2022, ensuring that Windows 7 users have security products at their disposal to protect their systems.

On 4/10/2021 at 6:58 AM, Batman said:

I hope your support time will be upgraded. Almost all industry brands will continue to support until 2022.

It's possible that we may extend it again.

Please note that EAM on Windows 7 will continue to work and continue to receive database updates for 12 months after we officially discontinue support for Windows 7. This means that even if we cut off support right now, technically Windows 7 users would still have 1 year of continued service.