Theodore

Malwarebytes (PRO) & OA++ Compatibility

I recently purchased Online Armor ++ (Ver. 4.5.1.431) and installed it on my system.

System spec's: Dell Laptop with a Pentium Centrino 2GHz and 2GB RAM running Windows XP Media Edition SP3.

I also had Malwarebytes PRO 1.50.1.1100 (full paid version) on my system.

When I installed OA++, I disabled MBAM so that the two anti-malware engines didn't conflict. I run OA++ with all features active at all times and I simply run a manual scan with MBAM every now and then.

My question is this: Will OA++ run (with both the Anti-virus and Anti-malware features active) concurrently with MBAM running active without any conflicts?

I'd like to have the extra protection active all the time, but don't want to risk locking my system up in the process.

Also, I'm kind of curious... does Emsisoft answer these forums or is this only users that are here to help? That leads me to another question: should I ask this question directly to Emsisoft?

Thanks for your help!

Theodore

Hi Theodore, welcome to the forum

1)

...does Emsisoft answer these forums or is this only users that are here to help? That leads me to another question: should I ask this question directly to Emsisoft?..
Yes, Emsisoft developers are closely monitoring all sections of this forum and do answer questions and giving advices

It' s just a matter of reading the forum a bit and you'll find the replies by the developers

(marked as “Staff” and Group: “Developer”)

Irrespectively, if you are using payed product (or the full product under the trial period) you can contact the developers as stated in Contact Us in case you think that the Software has issues and/or not functioning according to the descriptions

2) As for your question re: another AV and/or Anti-malware solution – that question was asked many times here and all over the place

The rule of thumbyou should never have more than one AV solution with its real-time resident active

For example, please read this recent request... definitely there are many others with the similar advices

My regards

P.S. 1) From the past experiences and reports from users discussing compatibility issues MBAM's IP blocking was the one creating problems and in any case was the components disabled by users

That may've changed though. New versions of any Software can bring fixes ...but can introduce incompatibilities as well

2) {added} I forgot to mention that OA section of the forum

would be a better place for asking about different flavours of OA in conjunction with other security. There are really great helpers there. They have sound knowledge of OA & testing it staring from "the early alphas" way before the acquisition of OA by Emsisoft

Theodore you haven't actually mentioned Emsisoft Anti Malware in your post. Do you actually use it or is this just a question to do with Online Armor and what can be used alongside it?

Theodore you haven't actually mentioned Emsisoft Anti Malware in your post. Do you actually use it or is this just a question to do with Online Armor and what can be used alongside it?

Hi stapp,

Can you please clarify what you mean?

Theodore was asking about OA++

... purchased Online Armor ++ (Ver. 4.5.1.431)
Online Armor++ is an all in one Internet security suite that … It offers all the security modules one would expect for a security suite including a software firewall' date=' antivirus and antimalware protection ...

...Online Armor++ comes with all of the power of Online Armor, but additionally includes the award-winning Emsisoft Dual Antivirus and Antimalware engine!

That's why the initial request was legit - can that be used alongside with MBAM Pro, and its (MBAMS's) real-time background protection?

That was the question, wasn't it?

Cheers!

I asked because it has been posted in the Anti Malware/Mamutu area of the forum as opposed to posting it in the OA forum.

I asked because it has been posted in the Anti Malware/Mamutu area of the forum as opposed to posting it in the OA forum.

Thank you for the reply, stapp

I do understand that, and it was suggested to visit OA section of the forum,

at the same time, due to use of "Emsisoft Dual Antivirus and Antimalware engine" as a part of OA++

I was just surprised to hear about EAM.

It seems that the original poster has an understanding of the AV component included

Cheers!

Thank you to Lynx and Stapp for replying to my question. I would have replied to you sooner, but I was sleeping while you were replying.

It appears that I posted this question on the wrong forum. Please excuse the misunderstanding, I wasn't really sure where to post. Also, I didn't really state that I was running Emsisoft Anti-malware, but thought that I was implying it by stating that I was running OA++ with all features active. Sorry for the misunderstanding. (That's two misunderstandings and its only my first post!)

So it appears that I made the right move by disabling MBAM when I installed OA++. As much as I'd rather have both running simultaneously, I'll leave it the way it is. Or... I guess I should say that I really don't want both running simultaneously, as that would probably give me much grief.

Again, thank you for the help.

All the best,

Theodore

Thank you to Lynx and Stapp for replying to my question.

I didn't really state that I was running Emsisoft Anti-malware, but thought that I was implying it by stating that I was running OA++ with all features active.

You are welcome and thanks for the reply, Theodore

At the same time, running OA++ with AV features is different to running OA and EAM, where the latter is a separate product with double-engine AV; Surf Protection; & Behavioral Blocker components

Therefore the questions was asked by stapp in order to clarify the matter

Cheers!

At the same time, running OA++ with AV features is different to running OA and EAM, where the latter is a separate product with double-engine AV; Surf Protection; & Behavioral Blocker components

That's good information, Lynx, I was not aware of that. Actually, I'm very new to OA and have much to learn about it.

Thanks again, Lynx and Stapp, your help is much appreciated.

Also, Lynx, I see you're in Australia. I hope you're high and dry, my friend. It's absolutely mind-boggling what Queensland has endured these past few months. I've been through 2 hurricanes while living in Houston, Texas, USA - and they're devastating. But neither one was an extreme category 5 like you had... and that on the heels of some of the worst flooding I've ever seen. God bless you.

All the best,

Theodore

I moved the thread to the correct forum. In case you haven't gotten an answer yet or want an official answer: There are no known incompatibilities between MBAM Pro and OA++. Due to the differences on how their realtime protection is implemented compared to ours incompatibilities are highly unlikely as well. I would suggest you add the MBAM processes and serivce as trusted in Online Armor though in case you haven't already. If MBAM Pro has some kind of "exclusion" feature you may want to consider excluding the Online Armor processes in MBAM Pro as well.

In the rare case that you run into any problem anyways feel free to report it and we will get it fixed as soon as possible.

Thank you for your response Fabian. Yes, I was hoping to get an official answer right from the start.

I didn't want to try running OA++ and MBAM concurrently because I thought that two anti-malware engines running at the same time would butt heads and bring my system to its knees. But, based on what you've said, I'll give it a try and see how it goes. And I'll make sure that MBAM is trusted by OA, as you've suggested.

But before I proceed, there is one other issue that I need to resolve before I begin any experiments. I am having intermittent system performance problems that began after I installed OA++. This, however, belongs in its own discussion, so I'll start another new thread to address it.

All the best,

Theodore