blues

Back & My Fingers Are Crossed...

Well, I had a hard time staying away and not having OA Premium running...so, in the middle of the night last night I did a clean install and started over from scratch.

So far so good and I'm really hoping that I won't have the issues with the oasrv.exe CPU spikes (~50% for a minute or two) again.

For me, nothing has the utility and protection of OA and I just couldn't stand to do without it any longer.

I lost a couple of months on my subscription but I still have about 3 1/2 months left.

Fingers crossed...

(XP Pro SP3)

Hi Blues,

Good to see you here and I have my fingers crossed for you too :)

Thanks, your feline majesty...It's good to see you again too! B)

Over three days in and no sign of the previously experienced CPU overload by oasrv.exe

Perhaps we've turned a corner this time around. Sure feels good to have OA on the system again. Like the comfort of an old and trusted friend. :thumbs:

Thanks, Cat.

Was wondering if you (or the developers) recommend "excluding" other anti-virus/anti-malware applications from OA as a matter of course?

I was reading the issues that one of our members was reporting with the use of "banking mode" and the websites added as "trusted" (and accessible).

I don't know about MSE 2.0 and any proxies but was wondering if one should automatically go ahead and "exclude" or only do so if any noticeable conflict or issue arises?

I had my real-time and on-demand anti-malware programs excluded but when I removed them, it seemed my internet connection was faster and more responsive.

So...your thoughts?

Many thanks...

Was wondering if you (or the developers) recommend "excluding" other anti-virus/anti-malware applications from OA as a matter of course?

It's generally a good idea to do this and in some cases you can experience problems if you don't (I think some Avast users reported that a program update went wrong if Avast and OA weren't excluded from each other).

I was reading the issues that one of our members was reporting with the use of "banking mode" and the websites added as "trusted" (and accessible).

I don't know about MSE 2.0 and any proxies but was wondering if one should automatically go ahead and "exclude" or only do so if any noticeable conflict or issue arises?

I don't know how MSE works either. As far as other AV's, for O/S's later than XP, I don't think they would be using local proxies anymore as there is the Windows Filtering Platform available on newer O/S's. At least, I know this used to be the case with the latest versions of NOD; the local proxy was only used if the O/S didn't support the Windows Filtering Platform.

If you aren't having any problems without MSE excluded in OA, then it's okay not to exclude it. The worst thing that could happen is if MSE falsely flags one of OA's component's as infected (it has happened with other AV's in the past) and removes the files at reboot, damaging the installation so that you are forced to reinstall OA.

I had my real-time and on-demand anti-malware programs excluded but when I removed them, it seemed my internet connection was faster and more responsive.

That's strange. Usually it's the opposite way around. I really can't explain why that would be the case for you.

Appreciate the info, Cat.

I do have each of my anti-virus/anti-malware apps (both real-time and on-demand) excluded from one another as well as OA.

So, only the OA GUI doesn't include any exclusions at the moment. If I notice any change in performance or other issues I'll go ahead and add them back in.