Online Armor interferes with IE8 installation.

qwerty

I have just re-installed IE8 and having since checked my OA History, I think it has blocked part of the installation.

Although I shut down all programs (including OA) before installing IE8, it needs to complete installation after a reboot and I think it's at this point that OA blocked spupdsvc.exe and iedkcs32.dll.

I'm pretty sure it's screwed the installation, because (apart from the fact that it wasn't able to complete) IE is running very slowly, which can occur when dll's fail to get registered.

Why would it do this and is there any way to fix it? I'd rather not re-install IE again because it's taken all day to install and update once already.

Thank you.

P.S: One other thing I noticed in the History was that the firewall had made an automatic decision to allow iexplore.exe to change. Why was this? Is it just because it had changed from one whitelisted file to another whitelisted file?

Hi qwerty,

When installing/reinstalling such important system components as IE and so on - that is highly recommended using off-line standalone installers.

If you read MS suggestions - that would be disabling any existing Antivirus, but in real life you have to disable any existing security including 3rd party Firewall

and its additional features and services.

Unfortunately we don't know anything about your system except OA. That is very important.

Always provide more detailed information about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules #2) or supply such info in your signature.

Anyway,

- please download standalone installer (see the link below) depending on what OS is in place;

- disconnect from the Internet;

- Properly disable any security (real-time Guards/ Services / startup entries/ etc.);

- Reboot

- Install needed Software - IE8

That must go fine... Actually, recently I performed flawless reinstallations of IE8 for several systems including XP 32bit and win7 x64

Choose the respective Setup here

My regards

I have just re-installed IE8 and having since checked my OA History, I think it has blocked part of the installation.

Although I shut down all programs (including OA) before installing IE8, it needs to complete installation after a reboot and I think it's at this point that OA blocked spupdsvc.exe and iedkcs32.dll.

I'm pretty sure it's screwed the installation, because (apart from the fact that it wasn't able to complete) IE is running very slowly, which can occur when dll's fail to get registered.

Why would it do this and is there any way to fix it? I'd rather not re-install IE again because it's taken all day to install and update once already.

When installing something like IE8, it can help to activate Learning mode prior to rebooting after the installation. Have you checked in the Programs list that the two files you mentioned (and anything else related to IE) are now Allowed and Trusted?

P.S: One other thing I noticed in the History was that the firewall had made an automatic decision to allow iexplore.exe to change. Why was this? Is it just because it had changed from one whitelisted file to another whitelisted file?

Yes, you are only alerted about a trusted program changing if OA is unable to verify it as safe after the change has occurred,

Thanks for the reply, qwerty.

Definitely please try the approach suggested by catprincess

=======

As for my advice

Lynx, that is exactly what I did.

The machine is running WinXP SP3 and Avira Personal, although, I'm not sure why that matters as it wasn't Avira that blocked the files, it was OA.

I cannot see that you did "exactly" the same.

Your initial message stated

Although I shut down all programs (including OA) before installing IE8, it needs to complete installation after a reboot and I think it's at this point that OA blocked spupdsvc.exe and iedkcs32.dll ...

There should not be any security active including OA after needed reboot according to what I wrote.

See "properly disable..." - that doesn't mean disabling (shutting down) for this session only.

That means that all your security will remain being disabled completely until you explicitly turn the security back yourself.

This way IE installation should finish without any interruption after the necessary Reboot.

My regards

So you think I'll have to reinstall IE again? That's a pain.

When you say that I should "properly disable" OA, should I untick all four components, or "Deactivate HIPS features", or enable "Learning Mode", or simply untick "Launch Online Armor at next startup"? Then I should disable other security software as best I can (I don't think I can stop Avira loading at startup without a fight, but I can disable the Guard). Then restart, close all programs and services and install IE. Then once installation has finished, re-enable everything and reboot?

While I think about it, does anyone know where IE puts it's installation log, so I can see what has succeeded or failed?

catprincess - I have now found the files in the Programs list and set them to Allowed, but why wouldn't OA recognise them automatically?

Thanks for the help.

catprincess - I have now found the files in the Programs list and set them to Allowed, but why wouldn't OA recognise them automatically?

There could a number of reasons. Maybe OASIS couldn't be contacted to check on the Trust status at the time, either due to this feature being disabled within OA, or perhaps due to no internet connection at the time. Or maybe the files haven't been Trusted in OASIS.