Sign in to follow this  
Skyhawk29

OA Alerts On Avast5

I've looked back through the posts to see if anyone else is having this minor problem, but apparently not. I have version 5.1.889 of Avast 5, and for the past few weeks OA Free alerts on the file:

C:\ProgramFiles\AlwilSoftware\Avast5\defs\11020901\Sf.bin

This file has something to do with the Avast Emulation Engine, and if I remember correctly, the trouble started about the time of a Program update to 889. The number changes a bit each time, so I have to "Allow" it every day, sometimes more than once a day. Is there some way that I can get OA to accept the Program in spite of some small change in the file?

I've looked back through the posts to see if anyone else is having this minor problem, but apparently not. I have version 5.1.889 of Avast 5, and for the past few weeks OA Free alerts on the file:

C:\ProgramFiles\AlwilSoftware\Avast5\defs\11020901\Sf.bin

This file has something to do with the Avast Emulation Engine, and if I remember correctly, the trouble started about the time of a Program update to 889. The number changes a bit each time, so I have to "Allow" it every day, sometimes more than once a day. Is there some way that I can get OA to accept the Program in spite of some small change in the file?

Simplest is to go to OA options/exclude and exclude the entire Avast! folder from OA monitoring.

Not sure how to do that. All I find under programs is AvastUI.exe, Avast01.setup, and setup.ovr (this last one concerning updates). There is a good dozen instances of the Sf.bin sitting in there. The options include delete and block but no exclude. Should I just block the next instance of Sf.bin and see what happens?

If you go to OA "Configuration", then under the "options" category there should be an "exclusions" tab that looks like the attachment. Check " include subfolders" and add "C:\ProgramFiles\AlwilSoftware\" as the path to exclude. That should prevent any instance of SF.bin from being considered by OA.

This is weird. I can press ADD and that brings up a BROWSE FOR FOLDER window and the only viable alternative is OS(C:), so I press OK and the C:\ comes up on the green line. I can check and uncheck INCLUDE SUBFOLDERS. However, I am not able to type in the path. I have pointed the cursor to the green line clicked it, and tried pressing ENTER, but I cannot seem to find a way to type in the rest of the path. Perhaps I should just wait for Avast 6 which is in Beta.

This is weird. I can press ADD and that brings up a BROWSE FOR FOLDER window and the only viable alternative is OS(C:), so I press OK and the C:\ comes up on the green line. I can check and uncheck INCLUDE SUBFOLDERS. However, I am not able to type in the path. I have pointed the cursor to the green line clicked it, and tried pressing ENTER, but I cannot seem to find a way to type in the rest of the path. Perhaps I should just wait for Avast 6 which is in Beta.

You don't normally type in the path. You should be able to click down the dropdown list to find the folders on your C drive, then selct the Avast folder.

Skyhawk when you 'browse for folder' is there a little + sign next to the C drive? If so click on it and browse to program files and open the + sign there until you see Avast and then click on the avast folder instead of the + sign to get it into the exclusions pane.

Skyhawk when you 'browse for folder' is there a little + sign next to the C drive? If so click on it and browse to program files and open the + sign there until you see Avast and then click on the avast folder instead of the + sign to get it into the exclusions pane.

Thanks to both of you...think I have it now. Will find out for sure in the morning when Avast does its automatic update.