a2service.exe is blocking my connection after update to 2021.5

After updating my EAM to version 2021.5, I noticed that the CPU usage increased to 90%, my browser takes almost a minute to load and does not open any website. The high usage of the CPU occurs in the a2service.exe process. Apparently, the problem was with web protection. I keep a list of addresses to block (eg Malware domains list) and after resetting the web protection configuration, the list of blocked domains was cleared and voilà! The browser loaded again and the internet connection worked perfectly. Any idea what it might be?

I don't know, but some more information might help others to suggest something relevant....

Which version of Windows, what CPU and how much RAM does your machine have?  And how many entries (roughly) does your list of block addresses have in it? Ie, is it huge?

If you fully shutdown the machine then reboot, then re-instate the block list, does cpu use go mad again?

Also: how often do you shutdown the machine?  Some people do so daily (I'm not one of them) and others hardly ever.  Is the machine uptodate (assuming it's not W7) with Windows Updates?

12 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

I don't know, but some more information might help others to suggest something relevant....

Which version of Windows, what CPU and how much RAM does your machine have?  And how many entries (roughly) does your list of block addresses have in it? Ie, is it huge?

If you fully shutdown the machine then reboot, then re-instate the block list, does cpu use go mad again?

Also: how often do you shutdown the machine?  Some people do so daily (I'm not one of them) and others hardly ever.  Is the machine uptodate (assuming it's not W7) with Windows Updates?

My PC config is Windows 8.1, AMD A10-6790K, 8GB. And my laptop where the same problem happens: Windows 10 20H2, i5 10210U, 8GB. Both updated.

The list have about 550,000 entries. it is huge.

I turn the machine off regularly, and even after resetting the list, the problem returns as soon as I re-instate the list. But if I downgrade to version 2021.4, everything seems to be normal.

On 5/8/2021 at 9:26 PM, DenisBR said:

I keep a list of addresses to block (eg Malware domains list) and after resetting the web protection configuration, the list of blocked domains was cleared and voilà!

As I understand it, you are using your own list of malicious domains.
Are you entering this list into a Microsoft browser or somewhere else? If so, then is in the nature of things that the loading of the browser and protection takes a long time. And it is not directly related to Emsisoft Anti-Malware program.
This will also be the case if there is another antivirus product in place of Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

3 hours ago, Amigo-A said:

As I understand it, you are using your own list of malicious domains.
Are you entering this list into a Microsoft browser or somewhere else? If so, then is in the nature of things that the loading of the browser and protection takes a long time. And it is not directly related to Emsisoft Anti-Malware program.
This will also be the case if there is another antivirus product in place of Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

In fact, the list was inserted directly into the EAM, in the web protection section.

3 hours ago, DenisBR said:

In fact, the list was inserted directly into the EAM, in the web protection section.

I wonder how many addresses are on this list?

@Amigo-A  - I asked that already and the answer was: "The list have about 550,000 entries. it is huge."

That seems to me to be crazily big... but right at the start the OP implied that things were ok on an earlier version of EAM.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware now syncs your custom Web Protection rules with the Emsisoft Browser Security extension. If you have a large list of custom rules in Web Protection, then expect this to take a long time.

On 5/8/2021 at 12:26 PM, DenisBR said:

Malware domains list

Malware Domain List has been dead for years. It's no longer relevant.

@GT500 - do they (EAM and the Browser extension) therefore end up with their own copies of the huge list?  What does "sync" mean in this case?  If for example one shuts down the browser and restarts it, does the extension have to re-acquire the list, or does it still have its own copy from before?

15 hours ago, GT500 said:

Emsisoft Anti-Malware now syncs your custom Web Protection rules with the Emsisoft Browser Security extension. If you have a large list of custom rules in Web Protection, then expect this to take a long time.

But there's an issue: i don't use the browser extension, because it doesn't work properly in my browsers (waterfox and iridium).

Therefore, having a blacklist only on EAM should not interfere with the use of cpu or browsers, right?

10 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

do they (EAM and the Browser extension) therefore end up with their own copies of the huge list?  What does "sync" mean in this case?

I wasn't given much information about how this actually works, other than that EAM's Web Protection has to "push" custom rules to Emsisoft Browser Security. I'll ask if the extension caches the rules, or if it needs to resynch every time it connects to EAM.

8 hours ago, DenisBR said:

Therefore, having a blacklist only on EAM should not interfere with the use of cpu or browsers, right?

It's possible that it's converting it to a new format. I'll ask if we've changed anything recently in regards to how Web Protection rules are handled.

In this instance the issue is probably due to Emeisoft Anti-Malware attempting to sync the Web Protection rules with our online Management Console. Large lists of custom rules like this will cause problems if Emsisoft Anti-Malware is connected to a workspace.

This is so weird...

Considering that i've been using for years without any issue until now, it is a little disappointing.

Another intriguing detail is that using EAM connected or not to my workspace, the result is the same: high cpu usage and internet blocking on the entire PC.

But i think the best i can do for now is quit using the web protection section and insert the list into a firewall or something.

23 hours ago, DenisBR said:

But i think the best i can do for now is quit using the web protection section and insert the list into a firewall or something.

I would recommend a much smaller list. Blacklists aren't intended to have hundreds of thousands of entries. A few thousand is fine, but much more than 10,000 is not only not necessary but would be more likely to cause problems than anything else. The vast majority of entries in those big lists aren't even online anymore, and aren't a threat to your security or privacy.

12 minutes ago, GT500 said:

I would recommend a much smaller list. Blacklists aren't intended to have hundreds of thousands of entries. A few thousand is fine, but much more than 10,000 is not only not necessary but would be more likely to cause problems than anything else. The vast majority of entries in those big lists aren't even online anymore, and aren't a threat to your security or privacy.

Okay, I will do that. Thank you so much.