Emsisoft updates

I have mentioned this issue before.
At 8.13am today my PC locked up, nothing was responding, even Task Manager.
It seemed  to free up at 8.16am , but ran slow for a few more minutes.
Upon checking I noted an Emsisoft update at 8.13 am.
Coincidence , I doubt it.
No other updates I receive,  unapproved, do this, why can't Emsisoft make updates available and we install them at the first opportunity, not jam up my PC when I am halfway through something.

When you say you've mentioned this before ... do you mean in the discussion: https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/31951-emsisoft-slowing-pc-right-down/

You were asked (by GT500) in that thread to provide some diagnostic information but there's no sign that you actually did so.

Now, your complaint is extremely vague.  You said "upon checking"...   What did you check?  Do you mean just the EAM logs?  What about the system's event logs?

You also imply that you might have been in the middle of something.  Well, what?  Maybe the thing you were doing was using lots of system resources - lots of RAM or lots of CPU, or interfered somehow in your network connection so fetching updates was slow.

If EAM did complete updates, but the machine was extra-slow for a few minutes after that, do you have any evidence that EAM was the cause?  For example if you look in Task Manager when things are slow, in the "Details" tab, and sort that display by the CPU column, which tasks are using the most CPU?   What about during normal use of your machine - how heavily loaded is it?

Do you have EAM set up to do new scans as soon as signature updates are complete?  Eg of Quarantine contents?

Do you run any other security software?

What CPU does your PC have?  And how much RAM?

Thank you for your very interrogative and curt post, I am sorry my "complaint is extremely vague".
Please ignore my comments, I do not need that kind of attitude.
I will turn off automatic updates and just check weekly.  

Hi @Cranfield

Thanks for posting about your issue and thoughts on what may have been the cause.

I am sure GT500 will reply when he comes online (he's in a different timezone)

In the meantime if you can think of anymore relevant info details please don't hesitate to post them :)

7 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

You were asked (by GT500) in that thread to provide some diagnostic information but there's no sign that you actually did so.

It's OK Jeremy, I'll do what I can to help him. ;)

14 hours ago, Cranfield said:

I have mentioned this issue before.
At 8.13am today my PC locked up, nothing was responding, even Task Manager.
It seemed  to free up at 8.16am , but ran slow for a few more minutes.
Upon checking I noted an Emsisoft update at 8.13 am.
Coincidence , I doubt it.
No other updates I receive,  unapproved, do this, why can't Emsisoft make updates available and we install them at the first opportunity, not jam up my PC when I am halfway through something.

The update process normally only uses a lot of CPU time when it has to re-scan items in the Quarantine. Do you have anything in the Quarantine in Emsisoft Anti-Malware that you can delete?

If you'd prefer to just turn off the automatic Quarantine Re-scan feature, then open Emsisoft Anti-Malware, go to the Settings, select Advanced from the list on the left, and change the setting for Quarantine re-scan after updates to Never. You can also set it to "Ask" if you'd prefer to be given a choice rather than completely disabling the feature.